Happy Gotchya Day Mattie

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year ago today, on October 3, 2007, I adopted my first cat, Matilda. I don't know how old she was...the rescue place said 9 months but their paperwork said 6 months (there is just no way), but my vet guessed 1 1/2 - 2 years. She was just under 9 lbs.

I was NOT planning on adopting a cat. I was never a big cat person. My roommate in college had a manx cat and it drove me nuts (it wasn't spayed because it actually was a breeder's cat that was just temporarily living with us and so it was in heat and .... not fun). I have always been a dog person. A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer at this time a year ago (she was 30) and I just needed something positive to focus on, so I began looking on Petfinder. I didn't have the room for a dog so I was looking at cats. I came across Mattie's profile (she had a different name at the time). They had listed her as a Persian/Mix and I just fell in love with her. As a kid I always wanted a long-haired white cat. The place that had her was right across the street from the courthouse I was working in at the time. I went to go see her in person and took her home the same day.

She had only been at the rescue place for about 10 days before I adopted her. I don't think they knew much about her. It's a no-kill rescue that works with a vet's office and they take cats from the local animal shelters. I'm guessing Mattie was one of those cats because they didn't know her vaccine history. She was already spayed and de-clawed when they took her in, plus her long hair had already grown back completely from the spay surgery.

She has been through a lot in her first year with us! She has had to deal with a new kitten, a huge move across the country, a new puppy, and another (local) move.

Mattie is quiet, lazy, and pretty much doesn't like us except for when she wants food or when she wants her tummy scratched. I love her to pieces, she has really turned me into a cat person.

This was her Petfinder picture. She's just chilling in her litter box, crazy girl. They had her on the counter in the vet's office, not in the area where all the other adoptable cats and dogs were.

This was taken after she had been home for a few days. She took no time making herself comfy and stretching out over a pile of blankets on an unmade bed.

Christmas '07, up to her current weight of 10 lbs.

This was about 2 months ago. I love her hair this length. We had shaved her in May and this is the grow out. Her hair is much longer now and it makes her look huge. She actually looks normal-sized here.

Wow, I sure rambled on

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she is gorgeous! I have 3 shelter kitties and am amazed at how scraggly they looked when we first got them and how their fur and eyes look healthy after we had them home for a while.

Matilda was looking pretty tough in her petfinder photo
and then the one on the counter she looks so happy and beautiful! Her eyes are glowing and alert! She is really beautiful.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Happy 1st Gotchya Day Beautiful Mattie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Wow, she is gorgeous! I have 3 shelter kitties and am amazed at how scraggly they looked when we first got them and how their fur and eyes look healthy after we had them home for a while.

Matilda was looking pretty tough in her petfinder photo
and then the one on the counter she looks so happy and beautiful! Her eyes are glowing and alert! She is really beautiful.
Thanks! She does look quite different! When she was at the shelter, you could tell that they weren't really grooming her. So much hair would come off when you touched her. (She obviously still sheds but not nearly as much when you brush her everyday). She had feline acne and eye issues too.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soo cute! x recues kitties are the best when you see how happy and healthy they get