collars, how tight is to tight?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mai Sai is the first cat I've had that would put up with a collar (probably since I started him with once the moment we got him) and I love it, mostly because his collar has a bell and I can tell when hes around, even more useful with a indoor/outdoor cat...But lately I've noticed him leaning his head down and getting the strap between his teeth, bitting it (trying to get to the bell). I swear it gets stuck between his teeth, I know that sounds silly but sometimes it seems he cant get it out of his mouth...

Clearly I have it to loose. I just always worry about it being to tight. It is a safety collar (break away). Is there a way to know just how tight to have it? Is there anything I should look out for him with being a kitten?

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as you can fit 2 fingers inbetween the collar and the cats neck. I wouldn't make it any tighter then that.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats wont wear a collar...

but other cats ive known had theirs about one or two fingers room. it depends on how furry they are too. a very furry cat can be misleading in how tight it is. mine just pull them off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you guys, this is a big help

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You want them to be able to pull the collar off if they get it caught on a branch or something. Otherwise, they are trapped by their own collar. That's why the rubber flea collars often have an segment that stretches and expands if you really pull on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

You want them to be able to pull the collar off if they get it caught on a branch or something. Otherwise, they are trapped by their own collar. That's why the rubber flea collars often have an segment that stretches and expands if you really pull on it.
oh this is a break-away collar, which means if it gets caught on a branch, the collar opens (this is his second, I'm not sure if the first one got caught on something, or if he just got it off himself...)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

As long as you can fit 2 fingers inbetween the collar and the cats neck. I wouldn't make it any tighter then that.
since he's a kitten, check it once a week - you'll probably have to be loosening it for a while until he's full grown.
mine all have breakaway collars - i know they work, because they've come undone when i was attempting to use the collar to assist me in restraining them for necessary grooming [claw clipping, combing, etc. got 1 that doesn't like the former, 1 that doesn't like the latter
].