TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 1 - Oct. 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 1 - Oct. 3

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 1

Topic: Cat Behavior

1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Note: Just because the thread is closed and just because you were not a member then does not mean you cannot go there right now and read through those posts.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? (For example, I think laser pens make my cats do strange and unusual things.)

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?
post #2 of 18
1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums? Yes, I probably have clicked the link to the Cat Behavior article page before, forgetting that it was not part of the forum pages. Sometimes I forget how many different sections there are in the forums, and I can’t always remember where to find the information I need. I end up using the search option a lot because of that fact! In the same way, I also often fail to recall that those boxes are up there at the top of the page. I guess because I rarely visit The Cat Site actual home page, I don’t realize how many other helpful links I’m missing!

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any? Oh wow, if I named them all it would take me a while, since I have at least skimmed most of them. The ones that really stand out to me, however, are the following: Wool Sucking Cats, Get Off! How to Discourage Your Cat from Jumping on Counters, Cats as Hunters, and Cats and Discipline Don’t Mix. I don’t actually have any “wool sucking cats†currently, but I read that article because my first cat (which now lives with my parents) used to suck on and need my stuffed animals. We thought this was strange, and I assumed it was because she was weaned too early. I had no idea how common this behavior really is! Of course, the article about keeping cats off counters (and other places) and the one about discipline have been very important as I try to train my three kittens not to develop nasty habits. I find all the articles interesting, though, even if they don’t directly apply to my cats right now, just because cats are such fascinating creatures! I do with my husband would do some homework of his own and read these articles…he is so much more familiar with training dogs, and they are so very different behaviorally!

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum? Hmmm….I don’t really spend that much time browsing the behavior forum. I really have had so few problems with my kittens’ training and interaction so far that I haven’t needed a lot of help in that area. And I don’t feel that I have enough of my own experience dealing with problem habits to give much advice or assistance to others. I tend to just click the New Posts button and read whatever looks interesting from there, so if a behavior topic pops up and piques my curiousity, then I’ll go check it out…but I don’t normally click over the behavior forum itself.

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats? No, not really. I am happy to say that my cats seem to be very normal, happy, well-adjusted felines! They do funny things sometimes, and they each have unique personalities, but they are pretty normal cats in every sense. The only thing that I did not expect from them was the amount of affection they display for their humans, even to the point of following me around the house like little puppy dogs. I had never been exposed to cats who were not generally aloof, only showing affection when they wanted it themselves. But I now know (through TCS) that this adoring, people-loving attitude is not abnormal at all in well-adjusted cats.

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done? Oh dear, how can I pick just one? Since they are still just kittens, they do funny things every day…but I also have a disadvantage in comparison to everyone else because I have only had them for about 5 months! Max does the funniest things, though, maybe because he’s a boy…I don’t know. I think that so far the thing my husband and I have laughed about the most was the time he gave Max a pea from his dinner plate. It took Max a good 3 minutes to figure out how to get the pea into his mouth, and when he finally did, he ate it with the look on his face that said, “You guys actually eat this stuff?†Then, hubby gave him another one, and it was as if Max had decided that since it didn’t taste good enough to eat, that must mean it was a toy! He proceeded to roll the pea across the kitchen floor until I told DH I didn’t want it mashed all over the place. So he sneaked the pea away from Max, but the poor kitty had no idea it was gone! So, he kept looking all over the kitchen for his lost pea for at least 10 minutes! It was priceless!

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most? Um…I’m at a loss on this one. They haven’t done anything that worried me yet, except when they’ve been sick…but that doesn’t really count, I guess.

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease? No, like I said before, I think my cats are pretty average and normal. I’ve never thought that they were being so strange that it bothered me.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? No, although I knew that I could read threads in any closed forum, I have not taken the time to go and look through those posts. I probably would, however, if I started having a problem that was addressed there.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? I can’t really think of anything off the top of my head. I do like to play with them and make them run around the house like crazy, and I especially like to try to get them to jump really high or climb their cat tree to get a toy…but that’s not what I’d call unusual…just fun exercise! One time I did find Molly looking intently at a reflection of sunlight on the wall, so I found the source (a cd) and tried to get her to chase it a little bit. I will have to buy one of those laser toys everyone talks about and see if that would make them go nuts or not!

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?
Definitely jumping up on the counters. I hate that they have started doing this, and I am trying every trick in the book, short of buying one of those expensive motion detectors or scat mats, to get them to stop! It annoys me that they get up there when I’m home, but it bothers me even more to know that they do it when I’m not around. I’m afraid they’ll jump up on the stove someday when I’m cooking and get burned, or that they’ll eat something (like my plant on top of the refrigerator) that is bad for them. Right now we are trying the “pop-cans-with-rocks-in-them-tied-together†method. This seems to be helping a lot, as the noise made by all those cans falling at once really scares them. And we can set up the cans before we leave the house, so we don’t have to be there for the discipline to take effect!
post #3 of 18
1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?

I don’t know if I have ever clicked the Cat Behavior section thinking it was the forum. I might have when I first started as a member here, but I haven’t in a while. I know the tabs at the top are for the different sections because of KatKwiz. I always would go to the topic if I thought I knew the answer to KatKwiz would be in that topic. Sometimes, I go into the topics on my own time as well, to learn more things. I’ve learned a lot reading the articles that are posted there about the behaviors of cats, but also about health issues or breeds of cats.

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?

I think I’ve read almost all of the articles that are in the Cat Behavior section. When I was having issues with Namine I would either search in the forums, or read the articles. The one that I have read most recently is the one on nighttime crazies. Namine has started waking us up in the early hours of the morning and it’s driving me crazy. I also liked the article about playtime aggression because Namine likes to play very rough when she gets in one of her moments. She dashes around the apartment like a mad kitty and usually pounces on one of her favorite toys. All the articles are so informative that everyone should read them.

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?

I would say I spend about 15% of the time in the Cat Behavior forum. I spend about half my time in the Cat Lounge, seeing what everyone has to say about different things. I like the Cat Lounge because its fun to see what everyone’s tastes are besides cats, like what their favorite television shows are or what they like to do in their spare time. It’s also fun to read the Question of the Day to see people’s responses to that. I probably spend 15% of my time in the In My Opinion section as well. I have stayed out of the political debates that are going on in there, because I am not really into politics. If an issue is brought up that I feel strongly about, I will probably voice my opinion. I come from a family that is big in debating, so I try not to get too involved in that section of the forums. I also like spending time in the Health and Nutrition section as well as the Care & Grooming section. When I was changing the cats’ food over, I did a lot of research in the Health section to see what kind of dry food was good for my cats. I also did research on what water fountain I should be in the Care & Grooming section. I did a search to see what fountains other people had and which ones they thought were the best as far as cleaning, noise, etc. If I’m not searching for something, I usually click on the forum section and see if there are any posts that interest me, and will click on them. If there aren’t any that look interesting, I probably won’t bother looking at them, unless I’m bored.



4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?

My cats can be really crazy at times, but I think other people’s cats are crazy as well. My cats can be wild; like Namine, will get in one of her moments and started running around the apartment like she’s high on catnip. But I think a lot of people’s cats can be like that. A lot of cats like to wake their owners up in the middle of the night, and my cats like to do the same thing. I can’t really think of a behavior, off the top of my head, that my cats do that I can’t see another cat doing.

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?

Hmm the funniest thing my cats have ever done? I think probably one of the funniest things they have done was one time when my fiancé was trying to play with Kairi. I wasn’t around for this but he told me the story. He was playing with her and getting her all riled up, and she started having one of Namine’s moments. She started running around the apartment like a nutcase, and she ended up running into the kitchen, on top of the counter, on top of the fridge, and on top of the cabinets, and then back down again. And she continued around the apartment for a couple of minutes. My fiancé was laughing so hard, but we were lucky she didn’t knock anything over because we have bottles on top of the cabinets that are unique. She hasn’t done that since, thankfully, but it still is pretty funny. They have a lot of funny moments, but for some reason, I’m having hard time thinking of them today. A lot of funny things they do happen when we are playing with the Da Bird too.

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?

I don’t think my cats have had any behaviors that have worried me the most. They are both really healthy kitties that are so active and playful that I don’t think anything worries me.

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?

I know my cats do strange things but I know they aren’t the only ones. Cats are probably all alike somehow so I’m sure that another cat does something as weird as the things my two do. Although Namine does do some pretty weird stuff, as well as Kairi, but I’m sure someone else’s cat does the same thing.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Note: Just because the thread is closed and just because you were not a member then does not mean you cannot go there right now and read through those posts.

I think I read through that forum everyday to see if there were any topics that would have to do with my cats. I have also gone back to it occasionally to see if any of the topics would have to do with what we are experiencing now. All the special guests that we have, not only the behavior one, have been so informative that everyone should the questions. I don’t read all of them, just the ones that might have to do with my cats, but the answers that the guests give are really helpful.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? (For example, I think laser pens make my cats do strange and unusual things.)

I use laser pens and the Da Bird to make my cats do weird things. With the laser pen, we point it on the wall to make them “climb†it and think it’s cute when they do that. They learn that they can’t climb that wall. We don’t leave it on the wall for too long, but they also don’t leave marks either which is a good thing. I don’t think we would be doing that for long if they were leaving marks. They also love the Da Bird. I sometimes will put it on the top of their playcube and they try to attack it, which makes the playcube collapse. Namine did that one time, and jumped right on it and the whole thing collapsed around her. She was totally fine, but it was really cute and funny.

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?

The one behavior I wish I could stop my cat from doing would be waking me up in the middle of the night. Namine will not stop doing it and it’s driving me crazy. She started a few months ago, but lightly scratching on the door frame. It started around 6 a.m. at first, but then it got earlier and earlier. It finally went all the way as early as 2 a.m. before I started having by fiancé lock her in the second bedroom when he would go to bed. I hated having him do that because I love having her sleep on my pillow, but I needed to get a good night’s sleep for work the next day. She finally learned her lesson (or so we thought) and we let her stay out all night. She was really good for a couple of months, until it started it again. This time, it would be at 5 a.m. and she would start scratching her play cube that they have. And that got real annoying too. So I would pick her up and put her in the bedroom. And that’s where we are at right now. She’s still doing it, so I think we’re going to have to resort to putting her back in the bedroom before my fiancé goes to bed. I can’t just ignore it, because I can keep hearing it and hearing it. Some times it wakes me up from a dead sleep.
post #4 of 18
Well, I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be, so here goes.


1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums? No. When I first found TCS I explored the site, clicking on links just to see what they were. I'm pretty sure I discovered the Cat Behavior page during that initial exploration. Of course since then I haven't gone back very often. Mostly I go directly to the forums and forget about the boxes at the top of the page.

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any? This is going to be a long list. I started out reading the articles that I thought might apply to my cats. Those included:
Get Off! How to Discourage Your Cat from Jumping on Counters
Cat Sounds--Feline Vocal Communication
Cats and Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Sleep--More Thank Just a Catnap

I also checked out some others that simply sounded interesting and found that they sometimes contained information that is relevant to my kitties. Among others I read:
Cat Behavior for Beginners
Cat Play--The Rules of the Game
Cats as Individuals

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum? I don't time myself when I'm on the computer. Pure guessing on my part, I'd put it at maybe 5%. I did skim through most of the forums when I first joined just to see what was there, and I've actually started a couple of threads in the Behavior forum. However, mostly I follow those topics only when something pops up on New Posts that catches my attention.

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats? As a general rule, no. I think my cats are basically normal felines. There is one thing that has me puzzled. My original two cats are both unaltered females (don't flame me, I have it scheduled!), littermates, and best friends. When a stray kitten showed up on my back patio in June, they didn't chase her away. No hissing, spitting, arched backs, or puffed-up tails. They just went up and touched noses with her and then proceeded to ignore her. Even after I brought Goldy into the house my two girls allowed her to eat out of their food dishes and use their litterboxes. I'm still trying to figure that one out *scratches head*

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done? I have six-week-old kittens. Everything they do is either funny or cute or both. Still, maybe I can come up with a single example, not the babies this time. Miss Patchwillow, having reached the ripe old age of one and a half years, has suddenly discovered her tail. Okay, so tail-chasing is funny to watch, but not necessarily unusual. Miss Patchwillow's quirk is that she chases her tail only when she is on top of a 6-foot tall storage cabinet. One of these days she's going to fall off and knock herself silly.

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most? I worry about a lot of things, but cat behavior is not usually the precipitating factor. The only--extended--incident that comes to mind is when I thought Goldy was going into labor. She would squirm around, change positions, get up and walk into another room. When she settled down a little she would still be moaning in her sleep. I posted on the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum several times and people kept telling me it sounded like she was close and would have her kittens soon. The part that worried me most was that this behavior went on about every other night for two solid weeks before she finally delivered. I was afraid there was something wrong and that the kittens would be stillborn, with all the associated complications. You can imagine my relief when she presented me with three beautiful, healthy babies.

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease? Not really. As I said above, I assume that my cats are fairly normal. My questions concerned changing or correcting unacceptable behavior.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Yes. That was one of the threads I checked out when I was cruising the boards at the beginning. It contained some great information and useful suggestions, and I was disappointed that the forum was closed.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? Can't think of much. They do weird stuff all by themselves. I tried the laser pointer and two of my girls looked at me like I was the crazy one (You don't expect us to fall for that, do you?) Goldy went nuts, though, which was hilarious since she was still pregnant. Did you know that cats can waddle at a run? The dangly thing on a fishing-pole type toy works pretty well for Shareena. She looks like she's on a trampoline, doing twists and turns and back flips in mid-air.

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing? I wish I could stop them from jumping up on my kitchen countertops. I've tried every suggestion that I've read or heard about. Aluminum foil, double-sided sticky tape, plastic mats with the little spikes on the back, yelling , squirting them with water (which I don't do any more since reading on the TCS forums about the harm it can do). Nothing deters them. I swear they do it on purpose. They have a straight shot to run from the living room through the kitchen into the dining room with no obstacles. So what do they do? Make a detour in the kitchen specifically so they can hop across the counter to get into the dining room.
post #5 of 18
Ok, I'm officially nervous! Here we GO!

2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 1

Topic: Cat Behavior

1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?

Hmm, no I don't think I've ever clicked on that one thinking it's the Cat Behavior Forum. I'm such a creature of habit that if I ever wanted the Cat Behavior Forum, I would have gone there the way I always do- from the main forum page. Now, occassionally, I have clicked on that link knowing it's for articles and to do some research there.


2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?

Hah, in order to answer this, I had to click on there again! I never remember which articles are in which section- not because it doesn't make sense, but just because my mind doesn't work that way- so I had to go check! So far, I've read the playtime aggression one, the individuals one, the night crazies one (Evie used to be really "good" at that! ), the problem scratching, the introduction to dogs, the discipline, the play rules of the game, the vocal communication, and the behavior for beginers. The funny thing is, most of these I read way before I even became a member, and now I can't really remember all of the content! In fact, I wouldn't even bet money that my memory of which I've read is accurate! So I'll have to go re read some of those.



3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?

Aw, unfortunately, I probably spend the smallest amount of time in there. Well, smallest next to the market place, new cats on the block, and breeders sections. Fortunately, Evie has very very few behavior issues. So, not only do I not need to go in there for advice on her, but I also have little to no experience with behavior issues, so I can't even offer advice! However, the more fosters I get, the more I find myself in there and learning! So that may change, but at this point, I don't go in very often. So maybe... 5% of my time?


4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?

No, in fact, I really do not think Evie has any behavior that is different from other cats. She seems to be a fairly typical cat! Though, sometimes I think she is lacking some behavior other cats have, because we don't have hardly any behavior issues with her. Even the behavior of hers that seems odd and unique, there's always at least one response on here of another cat that does the same thing!



5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?

Wow, this is a hard one! I think, for me, the thing that takes the cake is when Evie decided something smelled good in the garbage can. This is when she was new with us, maybe only a few months, and we had a typical kitchen garbage can, with the swing top. Does that make sense? Anyway, she kept trying to get in, but couldn't figure it out. Finally, she jumped up on top of it. Of course, the swing top didn't support her for an instant, and she fell right in, and freaked out! She instantly toppled the thing over and bolted out. Poor girl! But the funny part is, I stood the thing back up and figured she had learned her lesson. Within 10 minutes she did it again! Nut case.


6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?

Probably one of the most worrisome behaviors I've had to deal with- and this will show you that I haven't dealt with much!- is my fosters and their suckling. I had some that suckled on their sister's armpit, and I was really worried they were hurting her. Then another foster, the one I have now, was obsessed with suckling on people feet!! That worried me because he has sharp baby teeth, and I thought he would never get adopted if some kid that wanted him got nibbled on, I thought the kid's mom would freak out and try to get my poor Cronos put down for being "viscious", when all he wants is love! But, he seems to already have out grown it- yay!- and he already has some one who wants to adopt him, so I think we're all good.



7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?

Yes, this has happened a lot! The night crazies was a big one that worried me, and the suckling (Evie did that too), and the love nibbles. And crying for water, I was really worried that she was diabetic or sick or something because she acted addicted to water. Of course, the forums helped in addition to a vet visit for that one.


8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Note: Just because the thread is closed and just because you were not a member then does not mean you cannot go there right now and read through those posts.

Honestly, I don't really know if I've read any of those or not. As I've said a few times, I tend to do searches, and then don't pay much attention to where the post is that I'm reading. But even if it is one that I've looked through in the "previous expert forums", I can promise you that I didn't pay enough attention to know if I've read that one or not! I'll have to go check again!


9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? (For example, I think laser pens make my cats do strange and unusual things.)

Hahah, yes, laser pens get some great craziness! Catnip is another one, naturally. Evie goes bonkers for hair ties, so that's a big one for us. And she loves slipping and sliding across our hardwood floor and tearing up the stairs! But what cat doesn't? Since she loves her stick / wand toys, we like making her do silly things like jumps and flips and such with that. Oh! And playing "bed mice" gets some good laughs! One of the things we both get a lot of fun from is playing "footsies", where I slide my foot back and forth next to the crack below the door, and from the other side, she reaches her paws under to try to catch it! Very cute, and I learn very quickly when it's time to trim her nails! She does some pretty strange things trying to get my foot under that door.


10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?

Funny, since last time you asked this question, not that long ago, when I said "nothing really", she has developed a bad habit! She has always done thing to annoy me when I'm in bed if she wants something. She likes to nibble on me or knock things of the end table. As I said before, that's fine with me because she's trying to tell me something she needs, I just have to listen. Well, since then, she's developed a new one which I really, really want to break her of! That is, to get me up, she chews on my electric wires!! I don't have to tell you why I don't want her to do that- I don't want electrocuted kitty!! So I've done a few things, and they help to deter her, but she's quickly learned that even going near those gets the best and quickest reaction from me... So I did that myself, and I know it, but it's really hard not to react when I think my kitty will fry herself in a second!!
post #6 of 18
1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?
I know that clicking on the Cat Behavior box would not take to the forum for cat behavior but to the articles. You would need to the Cat Behavior Forum under Our Feline Companions to go to the forum for cat behavior. Actually, I haven't even thought about the articles there but always have gone to the forum.

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?
I haven't really read through any of the articles since my girls are perfect angels most of the time that is. There are a couple that caught my eye when I checked it out just now. I will probably read a couple this weekend.

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?
I can't give a percentage of the time I spend in the Behavior forum as I rarely go there. If I have a concern about my girls' behavior, I may do a search for a post relating to my concern but that is far and few between.

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?
I don't really think their behavior is different from other cats. They behave like normal cats. They have their naughty moments, their cute moments, their aloof moments and their lovey dovey moments.

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?
What comes to mind is what Rusty did last night. I posted it in the What's New, Pussycat Forum last night. She was yowling and howling by the door all puffed up. There was another cat just outside the screen door and Rusty was telling him that this was her home and to get lost! She did not like that other cat looking in on her turf.

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?
There hasn't been anything that really worried me. The only thing that has come to mind is when the girls were spayed. They had their spay the same day and while Rusty bounced back the next day and was eating normally, Dusty took at least a few days to start eating again. I think it was because she took a lot longer to recover than her sister. While they are littermates, Dusty was the runt and was still very small when she had the operation. She still is tiny compared to her sister.

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?
I have had cats all my life and I have seen some strange things cats have done. I have never thought my girls did unusual things. When I was a kid, we had mother and daughter cats who both had kittens the same day. While the kittens were born in separate places, one had her kittens on my oldest brother's bed and the other had hers on my other brother's bed, they put all the kittens in one pile and both mama's took care of the kittens. Pity the poor dog that ventured into our yard when the mamas were out with the babies. I actually saw a dog trying to climb a tree to get away from those angry mamas.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Note: Just because the thread is closed and just because you were not a member then does not mean you cannot go there right now and read through those posts.
No, I haven't read through that thread but I did know that we can read any posts even if the thread is closed.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? (For example, I think laser pens make my cats do strange and unusual things.)
I use laser pens also. Dusty will spin around in circles chasing the red dot until she gets dizzy. They will run after that dot until they are panting almost like a dog. They will do the same thing with their feather toys.

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?
I wish I could stop the girls, Dusty more often then not, from playing in their water bowl. I used to have a big, plastic mixing bowl for their water and Dusty would put both her front paws in the water and splash in it, take a drink and then splash again. She would get water all over the floor. Rusty would do this too but to a lesser amount. We now have a smaller aluminum water bowl and she doesn't do it as much. But we still have to mop up water off the floor almost daily.
post #7 of 18
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 1

Topic: Cat Behavior

1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums? no. i've clicked on it, but not for that reason...

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any? i've read the one on introducing cats - have it bookmarked so i can cite it for people asking questions. i've also read the one on 'herding cats'.

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum? depends on whether there's some thread there that catches my eye. i surf TCS by the 'new posts' option, rather than by forum. so if there's a thread [or more] in that forum whose topic piques my interest, then i'd spend more time there. sometimes there isn't one, so i don't go there at all...

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats? i think mine have fairly standard behavior - the type[s] normally seen in cats, anyway.

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done? probably the 'towel bar tightrope walking' Java does whenever she gets the chance. there're probably funnier things they've done that i can't think of right now, tho.

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most? probably the time Pixel attempted to pee on my head one saturday morning. we saw the vet that same day & got some antibiotics for UTI.

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease? not really - like i said, their behavior seems relatively standard from the reading i've done, both on TCS & in my numerous cat books.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? i read many of the threads at the time they were posted & answered. i've read closed expert forums in the past when looking for some answers, as well.

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? i scratch Pixel at the base of her tail - makes her do this weird 'bitey' thing at the air. oh, & i ask Java for kisses - she'll raise her nose for me to kiss it... i think that's about it, tho.

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing? Chip still will occasionally poo on my bed. i don't know how to eliminate this completely, altho i've been able to lower the frequency considerably, thru the use of Cat Attract litters or additives. plus, i've found that he's more likely to do it if i feed them their wet food before going out for the evening. now, if i'm planning to go out, they get the wet food AFTER i get home, not before i leave.
oh, & he's also a 'love biter' - i'd love to be able to break that habit, as well! but i haven't had any luck w/that, so far...

interesting questions, Lee! hopefully i'm on your DW's wavelength
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 1

Okay, I am probably too late to answer and have any value, I ended up having to work a double which I wasn't expecting or planning for. So if I get eliminated the first round of the katkwery playoffs I can at least say I tried, and I made it this far.

Topic: Cat Behavior

1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?
I have clicked on the cat behavior link on the top of the page to get to information about my cats behavior and problems they have but I never thought it would take me to the behavior forums. When I signed up for the cat site I looked around long and hard and figured out what everything did so I could understand things a little better!

2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?
Ive read wool sucking cats because my cat Glitch use to suck on things before he passed away, and now that I have Eek he also suckles on things and I absolutly love it! Ive read the silent meow to see what it was because my cats always make noise when they meow so I was curious! I also took the time to read cat aggression towards people when your kitty got you the one time! I like to read as many as I can to know as much as I can!

3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?

To be honest I spend very little time in the behavior forums, maybe 10% of my time is spent there. So although my numbers are low I always try to take a peek to see whats going on with everyone else and their cats and pets!

4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?
Yes, I do. My cats have personalities all of their own! They're just like people, no two cats are the same! They have different habits, ways of doing things, ways of wanting to cuddle and some like to play and some dont, some like their bellys rubbed and some dont! My kitties are totally unique, just like everyone elses I imagine!

5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?
One time my cat Tissy who long ago crossed the bridge went around the house chasing a moth, she jumped and ran, and looked all over and finally we thought she had given up the hunt when all of a sudden out of no where she comes flying over the top of us, hits the wall where the moth is smashes the moth and streaks it down the entire wall! It was a moth mess! She splattered that thing! Also, for some reason everytime we get a new kitten it will sneak up on jake and latch onto his nipples! He gets bit I laugh and its just a good time! Fun for all!

6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?
Wow thats a tough one, I guess normally when I get worried about my cats behavior it has something to do with BooBoo being alpha male and Eek always trying to take his role, then they fight and I can't handle it! I think that BooBoo is older and should naturally have that role but I know that cats tend to fight for that role as alpha male! Also, when I introduce my cats to one another and one of them shows bad signs that always worries me! My all time least favorite behavior is the sneaking out of the house behavior and the need to get away from the house that Eek has. It worries me sick!

7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?
The wool sucking thing, I thought that my cats were just weird and may have had an issue that caused them to do this and reading the article in there made me realise and understand that alot of cats do that and there is nothing really wrong with it.

8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this? Note: Just because the thread is closed and just because you were not a member then does not mean you cannot go there right now and read through those posts.
Ive read through alot of Marylyn (sp) posts and threads, I think I even posted in there once! I think I read through the cats grooming humans thread because my cats groom me constantly and I thought it was odd behavior!

9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior? (For example, I think laser pens make my cats do strange and unusual things.)

I use laser pointers, balls, play mice that have rabit fur and anything to make them try to jump 6 feet in the air! BooBoo can't do it anymore but Eek can! My neighbors have a 6 foot privacy fence that eek can jump on top of without any effort at all! He seems to do it with such ease and grace that it blows my mind! I also put their food on weird places to see them climb to it, and try to get them to climb anyway shape and form I can! I also showed them how to scratch the couch so that they wouldn't scratch the walls! So now they scratch there! I like to hiss at them to get them growling and hissing back, I blow in their face to get their ears to lay back because I think its cute and I like to give them a little peanut butter on occasion to make it look like they're talking! I also talk to BooBoo all the time and he talks right back to me, not even noticing that Im human and not cat he just sits there and has a full conversation with me! I also use cat nip to let them relax and have more fun playing with me! I can almost get them to climb the walls when I give them catnip!

10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?
I wish I could get them from thinking that all other humans besides me are evil, when new people come in the house they hide and shake in fear, I have all rescue babies so I shouldn't be suprised but for some reason I am. They just dont take to new people very well! They are all babies, to the point where they even like it when I hold them upside down like a baby!

Im quite certain that is not enough to take me to the next round, but oh well! It was fun playing and I guess Ill have to wait and see how I did! If I think of anything else Ill come add it in!
post #9 of 18
Quote:
1. Have you ever clicked on the Cat Behavior box above thinking it would take you to the Cat Behavior forums?
I can honestly say that I have never clicked on the link to the Cat Behavior Page at the top of the TCS website expecting it to be associated to the Behavior Forum directly. I usually dont go to the Cat Behavior Forums on purpose, but I am aware that the links at the top of the page take to you blogs, which I do read frequently. I've actually gone there often to reread an article that I have seen before just to refresh my memory about something I've forgotten about. Not to mention, I know new topics and columns are added and put there all the time, so I sometimes check just to see if there is anything of interest. Of course it all depends on how much time I have or how bored I am I have accidentally clicked on the wrong button unintentionally before. I’ve started to click on one thing only to suddenly realize I picked another. Usually it is when I want to go to my UserCP and I end up in the FAQ. And I’ve often reached for one button only to end up with another. Blame it on fatigue. Yeah, that’s it, I’m telling ya.

Quote:
2. Which of the Cat Behavior articles have you taken the time to read, if any?
Well, a lot of the articles I have come across in the behavior section is due in part to the KatKwiz or KatKwery. I’ve gone there in search of an answer or two. Just a couple articles I’m guessing off the top of my head and in looking at the list (to help refresh my sluggish memory)
Cat Sleep - More Than Just a Catnap
Cats and Night Crazies!
Problem Scratching And How To Stop It
Cats and Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Sounds - Feline Vocal Communication


I think I’ve pretty much read all the articles at one time or another. Maybe with the exception of the Wool Sucking Cats bit, although I must say my curiosity was piqued a couple times. So I take that back, I had to go check it out now just to see… and it turns out I did read it before and just forgot. I’ve definitely read the discipline column on discouraging cats from jumping on countertops, Get Off! How to Discourage Your Cat from Jumping on Counters. Ugh – one of my biggest pet peeves. Of course I think everyone has read about how to stop or prevent their cat from spraying or scratching. I only have one neutered male cat and luckily he’s never been a pee’er, but it’s constantly worried me (I’m afraid of having to make a decision between house or pet) and has been something I wanted to be educated about just in case. I don’t know how owner’s of unaltered males do it… He’s a great cat and I’d hate to have our relationship strained by something that can be totally preventable. Thankfully, he was altered straight away early and has never had the urge to mark his territory with urine.

I’ve also read the articles about socializing cats since I foster pregnant cats and kittens. The following articles have come in handy a number of times when I had a question or concern:
I'd like you to Meet... - Introducing Cats
Introducing Cats to Dogs
Breaking up Cat Fights
Cat Aggression toward People


Quote:
3. What percentage of your time on TCS would you say you spend in the Behavior forum?
I dont think I could measure the amount of time I spend in the behavior forums, in percentage. I seldom go into that forum, it is so miniscule it would probably report as none. It’s not really relevant. I don’t imagine I ever go in there intentionally. Not that behavior isn’t important to me, because it is. I think it is essential, if you don’t have a properly trained and well-behaved pet, be it a cat, dog or rat – you’re relationship with that animal will not be strong if it is tense from misbehavior. Which then places the odds of keeping said pet in jeopardy, so I think conduct is essential! I think the aspect that keeps me from going in there is lack of expertise. I really don’t have much knowledge to contribute in that area, so I generally stay out. I do end up in there from moment to moment when I am reading threads from the “New Posts†link. If I do have a question regarding something, most of the time it can be answered in the hard links on the site, or by browsing or searching past posts shared by others. Anyway, I don’t think I can quote a particular number. Not even a guess as it most likely is very minute. Most of my time is spent in the Cat Lounge I guess. I often participate in the Pregnant Cat and Kitten forum, because I have more experience here, but on the same note I don’t always have the time to be a regular there.

Quote:
4. Do you really think your cats have behavior that is different from other cats?
Even though I don’t think anyone can argue, cats are their own individuals, they are alike in so many ways. After joining TheCatSite, I really don’t think my cats are all that different from any other. They seem pretty normal to me. I mean, yes they do crazy odd things every now and again, but I come here and see it’s happened to others as well. It’s pretty reassuring!

Quote:
5. What is the funniest thing that one of your cats has ever done?
OK, my initial thought was this question was going to be a hard at first, but it didn’t take me long to remember what I feel is the funniest incident. Used to be… once upon a time, we were a one cat household. Mufasa, our beautiful male long-haired solid gray 6-toed polydactyl (six toes on each foot) ruled the roost. He came to us as a stray when he was a few weeks old. He really touched our hearts. He had no fear and would make my cousin’s dog quiver in his boots whenever she came for a visit. After he died, it took some healing to decide to get a new cat. Then when we did, she turned out to be pregnant and that’s what brought me to TCS and why I joined in the first place. The rest is history. Our family has grown into a multi-cat household seemingly overnight! So there seems to be a lot of funny memories. From the single beginning cat, to living in the present day zoo. Once I wanted to grab the camcorder and record the goofy cat attacking the TV. We were watching America’s Funniest Home Videos of all things. I thought that was pretty ironic. About a week ago, I watched one of the kittens chase it’s tail in the dog’s old plastic food dish. She would run in circles, chasing after it. Changing directions periodically like she was going to sneak up on it. She kept trying to catch it, and the dish was keeping her on track! It was so cute! I was laughing to myself. I swear it always makes me wonder what goes through their mind when they play this game. --> Found tail. -->Chases tail. -->How many tails are there anyway? -->Catches tail. -->Bites tail. Ouch! That mouse bit back… But still, those aren’t any of the toppers. One of the best things was watching Roly our NEUTERED male cat hump our altered MALE DOG. My youngest daughter came running to me, “Mommy, mommy, come see – Roly is wrestling with the dog.†Oh yeah, he had the dog by the ruff of his neck and was straddling away. It was hilarious. I don’t know what was more bizarre – the cat doing that, or the dog letting him. And I have to say, I know that dogs will do that for as an alpha-head-of-the-pack pecking order thing, where they’re vying for positions, but I never heard of cats doing such things. I guess he just had an urge and he didn’t care if the object was felines or not, not to mention females or not… I guess this kind of leans to what I was talking about earlier with reading the articles on spraying and marking territory. Even though Roly has never demonstrated any spraying habits or exhibited any warning signs, I still worry about such things. Especially when he does silly stuff like that. The other day he proceeded to assault a noodle pillow.

We have a puppy that likes to play with one of the older foster kittens, among any of the cats in the house, none of the other littermates will have anything to do with the dog. None but this one little brave bugger. The dog has been found with a few war-wound scratches from the kitten, and the kitten has been heard hissing and crying as the dog retaliates, but each one keeps going back for more. They are fun to watch with a close eye and each day they seem to come up with a new story.

Quote:
6. What type of behavior has one of your cats exhibited that worried you the most?
Well, so that above mentioned action concerned me some, because I was worried it would lead to damaging habits, but it never did.
We had a female foster that liked to use the bathtub for a kitty litter box, that was very frustrating. We combated that by offering her more options (for example, different litter choices and boxes) to use and by cleaning her box more regularly. I guess I was happy that it was only the tub she’s using and it was totally cleanable, but I often wondered it that was one of the factors her previous owners used to finally make their decision to give her up for adoption. When we placed her in her FURever home, we let the new owners know about her aversion and gave them suggestions to prevent such poor practices. Hopefully with a little useful information, they could figure out what works for them and that would change her behavior. I sure she settled in just fine and it isn’t a factor anymore!

Quote:
7. Have you ever thought that your cats did strange, unusual things only to read the Cat Behavior forums or articles that set your mind at ease?
Okay, sure my cats have showed strange behavior. From doing flips off the arms of the couch as they fall to the seat cushions, to running bizarrely through the house after using the ‘loo’. It looks like most cats are pretty much the same though when it comes down to it. They like to ignore us, they think they are the rulers of the house, etc, etc.

I guess one of the most ironic things I soon discovered after reading the message boards here was to discover that certain behaviors that I thought were strange or unusual actually had names! Like BUNTING. Who knew that cats shoving their noses into your face had a name! It’s interesting that they’re all fairly relative.

Quote:
8. In June, 2007, we had a special guest in our Behavior forum that discussed cat behavior. Have you ever read through any of this?
I browse though the Expert Forums when we have a special guest, I rarely post, but I have explored the other questions and replies. I also visit the Previous Expert Forums (closed) sub-forum and browse through the plethora of knowledge included there. A lot of our guests were here before my time, but I like that I can still benefit from their expertise. I assume Anne dedicates a nice chunk of her time simply finding these experts for us, the least I can do is pay attention to them. I have at one time or another visited all of the individual threads, during one of my visits clicking specifically on the CatPsych Feline Behavior Advice presented by feline behaviorist Kerry Hyde PhD. that you mentioned was posted in June of last year. The Belly thread in particular seemed to be pretty popular then, it was about why cats like to roll over and show us their bellies. I always thought it was more about the cat laying on it’s back, as opposed to baring it’s belly, it’s kind of a glass half-empty/half-full type of thing. Anyway, I read that this posture is a symbol of love, friendship and trust! Most kitties don’t like to have their tummies rubbed, I guess it is sensitive and leads to over-stimulation and can result in their claws and teeth coming out. So it’s weird that they expose this area to us. It really does show their trust of us. But she also went on to say that too is a warning sign. A cat will roll on it’s back to show it’s “weapons†and express the fact that they are ready to be used. So it was peculiar how that one act could be both a serious warning or a signal of love and affection towards you or another animal.

This reminded me… my cats do this all the time. They will go up to the dog and roll on their back right in front of him. I always thought of it as a submissive gesture, but should have known better coming from a cat! I actually think they were just looking for a little bit a free lovins wherever they could find it!

Quote:
9. What kinds of things do you do to purposely make your cat(s) exhibit strange and unusual behavior?
I do nothing in particular to entice the cats to act in strange ways, besides general play. I offer the cats cat nip, but most of them seem impervious to it. Some friends of ours though has a cat that will literally climb the wall if it smells cat nip. They will take a stuffed mouse and dangle it high on the wall, near the door frame and it will scale the wall!

We were at a friend’s house a while back and they had a laser pointer light that drove the cat insane! Really it was funny to watch. This cat was all over the place. Personally I thought the cat was having fun running around the room and leaping over obstacles. Then I came on here when we had our last expert and I read that she was against playing with cats with lasers. Surprised me! Fun for us, frustrating to the cat I guess. Although I’ve never done this with my cats (because the boys always lose our flashlights or run the batteries dead!) I was disappointed to hear Marilyn Krieger, our recent Behavior Consultant, discourage their use. Although I read another member’s idea about tuning it into an exploration game and hiding treats in random places and eventually leading the cat to the treat with the light. Seemed like a great idea! In this day and age, I love the wealth of knowledge available - technology amazes me! Some days I don’t know what I would do without my computer. I remember years ago, when the internet first came out, I wanted a Web-TV thingy so bad just so I could get on the net and see what the hype was about. My wish was for a computer; however my sensible side knew that was too much money for a toy. I didn’t get either though. I waited it out and bought one a year or so later. Isnt it usually the way though, when everything first comes out expect it to be so expensive but for those with patience (which usually isn’t me) they get the best deals. As usual, I digress…

Quote:
10. What is the one behavior item that your cat(s) exhibit that you wish you could stop them from doing?
I know I’ve replied to this one before. Two words: counter surfing! Just because they are not allowed up there doesn’t mean they don’t try it; however, I don’t like to see the cats walk on the counters or on the dining room table and am constantly correcting them. Not only is it unacceptable and possibly unsanitary, but you have to consider the dangers of the destructive habit. What if they’re up there with the dishes and cut themselves on a knife, or knock the dishes down and cut themselves on broken glass? Or what if they jump across the stove and burn themselves? It’s too dangerous. I would hate to unintentionally bring harm to one of the cats. I have read the articles about how to deter them from jumping up inappropriate surfaces, to help them remain healthy. I have used some of the techniques, from using double-sided tape or to apply aluminum foil to using water guns and squirting a cat to shaking cans and making loud noises to get their attention or yelling “no†to scare them. Some of these methods seem worse than the original problem though. I mean… I don’t necessarily want to clean sticky tape off my counters and table every time I want to cook or eat something. Not to mention wiping up the water or finding the can to shake when I need it. I once used a helpful tip that deters cats from jumping in cribs. The clip made a suggestion about putting balloons in the crib so basically when the cat jumped in it would be startled. I did this when my girls and boys were babies, after several tries and popped balloons later they never tried this anymore. How many pops does it take to get to the nerves of a cat? Really though, I have been desperate enough that I have thought about taping balloons to my counter to see what that would do. The advice given in the behavior piece suggests behavior modification instead of negative reinforcement. Makes a lot of sense, this is procedure I use with my children. Distract them instead of yelling or punishing them. The article suggests giving them plenty of alternate vertical surfaces that they can climb on instead, perhaps some that are more appealing. It suggests cat trees, cat gyms and cat shelves to keep the cat busy. It tells us to initially look at why a cat might do a specific action. Cats don’t like to be contained, they naturally like to explore. Well, I don’t have cat shelves, I just can’t seem to work them into my décor but I do have several different trees around the house, even one in my daughter’s room where they mostly like to sleep at night. I hardly ever see the cats on the counter when I go in the kitchen, but I sometimes see the evidence that they were there! One night when DH was out on the road, I heard a crashing sound in the middle of the night. It sounded like a zillion nightmares in a millisecond! Scared me to death. I summoned the courage (and my 100-pound dog) and went downstairs to investigate. Turned out one of the cats was up on the cabinet (yeah upper cabinet) and knocked down my electric skillet. What a relief, thank goodness that’s all it was. I could breathe after I checked that was all it was, but wanted to strangle that cat! I haven’t really found anything that works perfectly when trying to stop them from doing something when you’re not looking. I’ve looked online and on our site, but cats really don’t appreciate rules to follow. They seem to think they are the exception to the rule!
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Without any ado:

Marianjela defeated GoldyCat 8-5
Glitch beat Catkiki 6-4
BelongsToEvie uspset Laureen227 6-4
Cocoa Cream scores a perfect 10-5 over Yam102284

I have been trying all morning to put a chart on this post and TCS has been operating sporadically at best so I am just going to put the secret words below and ask you to make sure I have given you credit for all word usage. (I do use a word finder program.)

place, some, 10, because, laughed, eat, same, know, also, counters

GoldyCat used some, eat, know, also, counters
Marianjela used place, some, because, eat, same, know, also, counters

Yam102284 used some, because, same, know, also
Cocoa Cream used everything!

Catkiki used some, because, same, know, also
Glitch used some, 10, because, same, know, also

BelongsToEvie used place, some, 10, because, same, know
Laureen227 used some, same, know, also

All words had to match in tense and pluarity.

Remember the hare and the turtle...

The second game of best two out of three will be posted between 9-10 am Central Time Monday morning.
post #11 of 18
got a question - will your 'word finder' thing work if we use misspellings [tho, thru] or abbreviations [like w/ for with]? if so, i can adjust my typing to match.
doesn't affect this round, but i want to be sure before the next!
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Marianjela defeated GoldyCat 8-5
Glitch beat Catkiki 6-4
BelongsToEvie uspset Laureen227 6-4
Cocoa Cream scores a perfect 10-5 over Yam102284

place, some, 10, because, laughed, eat, same, know, also, counters
Congratulations everyone on a job well done! I was extremely nervous going up against GolyCat yesterday and spent all day on and off going back and forth working on my piece yesterday (I typed it up in Word so I could save it and not lose any work) How pathetic am I? And a to CocoaCream! All ten - impressive! ...and scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
All words had to match in tense and plurality
I admit, I seen this in the rules and it sure did make it extra hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Remember the hare and the turtle...
Good luck in Game 2 everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
The second game of best two out of three will be posted between 9-10 am Central Time Monday morning.
Does this mean Round 1 Game 2? Or Round 2 Game 1? I better go check the rules lest I'm here checking the site all day.... I do realize it's a weekend... ETA - never mind. I seen the dates posted on the STANDINGS page. Shwew! I could use a break already
post #13 of 18
P.S.S. - there sure is a lot of text on this page!

My scroll finger is getting cramps!
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
got a question - will your 'word finder' thing work if we use misspellings [tho, thru] or abbreviations [like w/ for with]? if so, i can adjust my typing to match.
doesn't affect this round, but i want to be sure before the next!
No, it will not find them and I try to avoid any words that have well used abbreviations. All of you wrote a book and it is really great reading! But it would take me a long, long time looking for mispellings and abbreviations and such. So for everybody, it has to be a match of the word as listed. Cocoa Cat was the only one to get laughed. That was the way DW and I listed it and she was the only one to get the right tense. Good luck, lots of people are reading what you are writing and it is very good writing indeed!
post #15 of 18
I had places and eating.. LOL could I have put like "places (place, placed) and eating (eat, eats) to cover all the tenses?
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkiki View Post
I had places and eating.. LOL could I have put like "places (place, placed) and eating (eat, eats) to cover all the tenses?
That would work only if Persi didn't think it was spamming!But as long as the sentence makes sense with the word you use, you are OK. Yes, there is a lot of luck here and some skill. The secret words are exactly in the tense that DW uttered them upon hearing the question. You (some of you) have had six months to figure out how she thinks...Right now it looks like Cocoa Cream is working exactly on DW's wavelength including the correct tense. The scores were actually higher than I had anticipated. I never dreamed somebody could get all ten exactly as stated.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
Congratulations everyone on a job well done! I was extremely nervous going up against GoldyCat yesterday and spent all day on and off going back and forth working on my piece yesterday (I typed it up in Word so I could save it and not lose any work) How pathetic am I?
You think you were nervous? I had to go up against marianjela!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
P.S.S. - there sure is a lot of text on this page!

My scroll finger is getting cramps!
Watch out. Next time I'm writing a novel instead of just a short story.
post #18 of 18
I can't believe it! I used one whole word more than Catkiki! It says I got 6 and she got 4, but when I count her words she has 5! So I got lucky!!

I dont know about being able to write a novel though, Ill have to work at it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 1 - Oct. 3