Poop and pee in hair on tail, legs and private area

dmorris925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old Himilayan daily gets poop and pee on her tail, back legs and around her private area, her poop is formed, She smells, I bath her 2-3 times a week because of the smell, She also has some of the kitty litter stuck to her. I have tried several different brands. I have tried cutting some of her hair in these areas but doesn't seem to help much. Does she not know that she is supposed to squat and lift her tail to keep herself out of the stuff?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she doesn't know (5 months is still young) or she's just one of those cats that will need a sanitary shave and a close eye all her life...bless his heart my Stan is certainly one that needs the regular butt cut and we're always looking for dingleberrys...

What kind of litter are you using? Stan got better when I switched to the wheat/corn litters, but he still gets it stuck to him. In fact, the other day I noticed him making a distinct clicking sound when he walked and discovered his entire paw caked with litter
A quick dunk in some warm water (which he didn't like) fixed the problem. In my case he's such a sweet little lad I'll deal with the yuck factor.

How big is the litter box? We use clear high sided tubs (the kind made for storage) and we cut a door in one side. I notice my two get less of it on them when they have more room to move.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Perhaps she doesn't know (5 months is still young)
Because cats are well known for keeping themselves clean so i'm sure once she grows up she'll look after herself in that department, but sometimes they need a little help, especially when their small like 5 months

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I got my kitty, he was about 5-6 months old and he is a domestic longish hair! He would get wee, poo and litter all over him and I would have to wipe'wash the area. At times it would get dried and matted as it wasn't obvious, so i would have to cut them off
He grew out of it though as i'm sure yours will. I mean a child can 'wash' itself but not to great level but learns too. It's just the same with little kitty I am sure it will improve but sometimes accidents do happen, bless.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to trim Kittys behnd every so often

If that is not enough, have you tried using a warm wash cloth to try and teach the cleaing behavior they usually learn from their mothers?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmorris925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement, I feel as if someone else knows what Im going through

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no.

Oh no.

We've only had Mack for two and a bit weeks... and I found a 'dingleberry' yesterday. She's DMH. I really hope that this doesn't mean that she's going to be like... chronically covered in poo. XD

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

She's DMH. I really hope that this doesn't mean that she's going to be like... chronically covered in poo. XD
Just trim her fur from the area and she'll be fine. Even i've had to snip the odd one from Rosie's fluffy bum but she's still as gorgeous

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Just trim her fur from the area and she'll be fine. Even i've had to snip the odd one from Rosie's fluffy bum but she's still as gorgeous
Haha. Thanks for the advice.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very helpful to get long haired cats the sanitary shave. Usually your vet/tech will do it at a regular vet visit, if you request. Mine automatically does it. They just shave a little bit around the privates so the cat is able to keep it a little cleaner.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i feel a lot better now.

i came to the forums today to search for a good recommendation for a groomer in my area, as my hubby and i have pretty much given up on the girl at petsmart ever getting it right, and onyx's butt STINKS!!!! he just can't seem to keep his butt free from dried up, matted, poo-crusted hair!!! >_< i'm glad we're not alone in this