changing human behavior....

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I just got back from my grandma's and while there I watched her smack her cat three times for clawing at the couch and jumping on the table. I tried to explain to her that it doesn't help and in fact hurts, but well heh I'm the grand daughter, so surely she knows best.
My grandma is rather fixed in her old ways, until 10 years ago she wouldn't even let her cat in the house. Now her cat is a indoor/outdoor cat and almost always has worms (to be fair she takes her to the vet alot and gets her the worm pill, her cat is just a big hunter, so it doesn't last long). And she thinks the only way to teach her cat is to yell and lightly hit her (not enough to harm her of course) and the fact her cat does stop, atleast for the money and doesn't hate her seems to be egging her on.
Should I just keep my nose out of it? Or should I try to convince her to stop? If the second, does anyone have a formal study I can show her? any facts would help....as long as its clear it comes from someone who knows what they are talking about...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

Should I just keep my nose out of it? .any facts would help....as long as its clear it comes from someone who knows what they are talking about...
No you shouldn't keep your nose out!. The poor cat needs someone to speak up for it so that's where you need to step in

Heres some facts that i've googled, and theres plenty more sites out there that explain why you shouldn't hit or yell at your cat

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...nd_praise.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

No you shouldn't keep your nose out!. The poor cat needs someone to speak up for it so that's where you need to step in

Heres some facts that i've googled, and theres plenty more sites out there that explain why you shouldn't hit or yell at your cat

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...nd_praise.html
thank you, sometimes its hard to tell when I'm just being nosy, even moreso with my elders, I'll show this to her

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old are you?

If you are a child or a teenager, then it is not your place to be correcting an adult; you should get another adult (such as your parents or and aunt/uncle).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

How old are you?

If you are a child or a teenager, then it is not your place to be correcting an adult; you should get another adult (such as your parents or and aunt/uncle).
oh I'm 26, part of why I moved here is to keep an eye on her

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

oh I'm 26, part of why I moved here is to keep an eye on her
Well, that's very different. Consider my objection withdrawn.

I would at some time when the cat is NOT doing anything wrong, to calmly sit grandma down and show her the information (print out some of the articles and highlight the appropriate passages.)

Also, have some alternatives to suggest to get the cat to stop some of the annoying behavior.