TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Breeders - expect or not expect?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breeders - expect or not expect?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
What are you expectations of "breeders" who should be professional about breeding/selling their cats?

I ask because I recently began to talk to a lady who breeds/sells Bengals. We started off talking about prices, quality, etc. She seemed rather professional until suddenly when I said I could afford a certain price - Then suddenly she no longer really offered that price, now it's higher.

She went off talking about how she does not try to keep up with other breeders, that her cat are TOP quality and yadda yadda - That CATS are expensive to take care of, and if I cannot afford to pay ( ridiculous prices, all I want is a pet quality cat ) that I need to look into what it takes to even care for a cat, expenses, toys, etc. That she did not want to see her cat adopted just to be thrown out because the expenses are too high, or that I just didnt like it.

I mean, I felt accused of being a bad cat owner before she even got to know much about me... all because I said I wanted a pet quality price Bengal - I do not need a breeder/show cat. I just want the jungle brought to my home - the look, and the awesomeness of a kitty!


I could go on, she wrote a lot and began acting really strange, even told me some one she knew died? LOL, I dont get it. All I wanted was a cat, not her life story or to be accused of being a cat owner and knowing nothing.
post #2 of 17
Most breeders are not like that (at least the ones I know). They have a standard price for pet (or show alter) and for breeding. Over the years, they may raise their prices to cover higher costs, but they don't raise them within a conversation/weeks

I was expecting to pay more from my 2nd Oci. I'll be paying the same as I did for Charlie (as both cats are neutered). Most breeders are concerned about the home their babies are going to. And many will also give a break in price if you adopt 2 together.

Unfortunately you ran into one that was not so good. I'd chalk it up to experience, and keep looking and talking to other breeders and find the perfect one for you.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
It's understandable that they are concerned over where their babies go - I know when Zelda had her babies ( regular cats lol ) I was really weary of who took them, checked ID's to be sure they were of age to even bring a kitty home... - Didnt want them to take it home, parents say no, and then throw it out the door. I made sure anyone who took a kitty signed up for a neuter first and could prove it, gave them all my contacts, emails, etc to be sure that if in the end they decide the kitten is too much work that they could always call me and I would always take my baby back.


So, I do get it - esp because they put a lot of effort and money into what they do! Good breeders spend as much money on their pets as they get back from selling usually. I totally get it.

There are a lot of breeders where I am - I'll just keep looking and trying and hope I find that perfect baby. These cats are harder to get then pure bred dogs, it's weird..
post #4 of 17
The Breeder I am getting my Sphynx from asked me if I want a pet or show quality. I told him I would like to learn how to show one day.
The kitten is 1200 and 200 for shipping.
The other breeder I had was nice and everything but then she quit talking and I even had other people from here email her and they never got a answer either.
I changed breeders after that.
I bet one day she will respond but I already have my sphynx on hold.
post #5 of 17
First, I think in many forms of negotiation, you don't want to make it known how much you can afford. Unscrupulous individuals will automatically raise their prices to what you can afford. Buying a cat shouldn't be like buying a car, so in the future, don't let the breeder know what you can afford. If the kittens are priced too high for you, ask about retired show cats.

Second, I don't think ANY breeder who does not show can claim that they have TOP cats if they don't keep with the other breeders in their breed. JMHO, but breeding isn't just about an individual cattery, it's about a community of breeders working for the betterment of a breed. You need to keep up with other breeders because where in the world are you going to get new lines? And who are you sharing your lines with? That is, unless you're in the business of making pets in the first place. . .

Finally, the price you pay for a cat is going to be the least amount you pay over their lifetime. Now I don't know what prices she offered you, but as long as they were reasonable, she was right to express some concern to you. However, there was no need to make you feel as though you were a bad pet owner who knew nothing about cats. She could have left it at "those are my prices, and if you don't agree with them, you are free to look elsewhere."
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Oh, I agree with you. I did not argue her prices to her. I told her what I was looking for, she told her price for a pet quality cat and as soon as I said I could afford it - she changed her mind on the starting price and said it was higher. I agree that cats in time, cost more than their original price - but does that mean I have to pay for the cats entire life in one payment of getting the cat? lol!

She said pet quality: 750.00
Changed it to 1500.00 and said it could be higher. I'm like, wt? For a cat that I have no rights to breed, or show? Kidding, right? - I'll just keep looking. I did find a person on another board who's boyfriend got a pet quality girl for 800 from London. Not bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisCat View Post
First, I think in many forms of negotiation, you don't want to make it known how much you can afford. Unscrupulous individuals will automatically raise their prices to what you can afford. Buying a cat shouldn't be like buying a car, so in the future, don't let the breeder know what you can afford. If the kittens are priced too high for you, ask about retired show cats.

Second, I don't think ANY breeder who does not show can claim that they have TOP cats if they don't keep with the other breeders in their breed. JMHO, but breeding isn't just about an individual cattery, it's about a community of breeders working for the betterment of a breed. You need to keep up with other breeders because where in the world are you going to get new lines? And who are you sharing your lines with? That is, unless you're in the business of making pets in the first place. . .

Finally, the price you pay for a cat is going to be the least amount you pay over their lifetime. Now I don't know what prices she offered you, but as long as they were reasonable, she was right to express some concern to you. However, there was no need to make you feel as though you were a bad pet owner who knew nothing about cats. She could have left it at "those are my prices, and if you don't agree with them, you are free to look elsewhere."
post #7 of 17
I'd politely run as fast as I could if a breeder claimed they had the TOP cattery of the breed!

I'm just glad I'm familiar enough with most of the breeds to make my own judgement. Also if I'm interested in a certain breed and am serious about buying, I do a ton of research first on the breed in general, look at catterys for the "type" they breed, study pedigrees (I have fun doing it) and THEN start the hunt for my "ideal" cat - whether its for a pet or show
post #8 of 17
I almost always put the prices of each individual kitten along with a photo, on my website. That way people shopping for kittens know up front what the price is and if it's out of their budget, they don't have to waste their time playing the guessing game.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
I almost always put the prices of each individual kitten along with a photo, on my website
I wish more breeders would do that, makes it much easier.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
I wish more breeders would do that, makes it much easier.
I agree.
post #11 of 17
I don't think listing prices works for every breed. The reasons are many; small group of breeders prevent competition, gossip about charging too much/too little, regional cost-of-living dictates, don't want anti-breeder people to know how much and what you are selling. . .

I won't list prices on my website, and frankly, I don't think I'd want to sell a cat to someone who can't take the time to shoot me an email and ask. The answer would be the same regardless, but I don't want to encourage impulse buying. . . I've seen breeders accept paypal deposits for cats listed on their website! Not even sure where to start with how wrong that is. . .
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisCat View Post
I don't think listing prices works for every breed. The reasons are many; small group of breeders prevent competition, gossip about charging too much/too little, regional cost-of-living dictates, don't want anti-breeder people to know how much and what you are selling. . .

I won't list prices on my website, and frankly, I don't think I'd want to sell a cat to someone who can't take the time to shoot me an email and ask. The answer would be the same regardless, but I don't want to encourage impulse buying. . . I've seen breeders accept paypal deposits for cats listed on their website! Not even sure where to start with how wrong that is. . .
As with all things, opinions vary. Posting prices has worked well for me. My clients appreciate knowing kitten costs up front before they contact me. They all have to go through our screening process irrespective of the kitten's price tag.
Personally I have little concern or regard for breeder gossip, our kitten prices are based on quality and I'm comfortable with our price structure and 5 year genetic health guarantee. I also don't give a rip what the anti-breeder establishment has to say about what we charge for our kittens. They are a clueless lot anyway. No amount of arguing can convince them, as any amount charged by a breeder is too much and has cost the life of a shelter cat.
Just my opinion. I respect other breeder's ways of doing business as well!
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Well, it appears I may have found a good breeder based in California She has kittens right now for 650.00 plus shipping which adds to about 800.00 which is totally not bad at all. I wont be getting a kitten till around Dec, or shortly after. I have time to keep looking if I need to!!

I am so excited to add another kitty to my house. Cats are so amazing... I want a pet GIRAFFE really bad, but I guess a Bengal will be as close to "wild/safari" as I get. LOL. Yay

Oh, and we have a name picked out. Pronounced " Mee- Moo- sh - ka " and
spelled Mimewshka!
post #14 of 17
What color are you getting?
post #15 of 17
When I first phoned Sonic's breeder she was very up front with me about the price - she said she'd been messed around by people not wanting to pay a deposit and trying to haggle, so she told me the price of her kittens and the deposit before going any further, I said that was fine and of course I expected to pay a deposit and was visiting her and the kittens and was reserving my lovely Sonic a few days later.

I know some OSH/Siamese breeders who put the non-negotiable price on their website and others who don't, most who do say it cuts down on people phoning them without any realisation of the high cost of pedigree cats. Some also give a breakdown of what it costs to rear a litter from conception to rehoming at 13 weeks which a lot of people find very useful as they can then easily see that the quoted price really is the bottom line! Being a popular breed there isn't a huge deviation in prices between one good breeder and another.
post #16 of 17
I don't put my prices on my website any longer but I do mention required deposit, waiting list ect. I also explain the cost of breeding and we will discuss price when they email me which is the same regardless of who emails me. I quit putting prices down for several reasons of which are numerous. I do feel comfortable with my prices as I have spent a lot of time, money, knowledge ect and know what type I am producing.
Daisy
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
What color are you getting?
brown rosetted - I really like the spotted where they are multi-colored, too...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Breeders - expect or not expect?