I just bought a new cheap guitar on e-bay

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a guitar for $56, plus shipping, on e-bay. But dangit, it didn't come in a new cat toy box!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, then, register a complaint!
All purchases must come in a box adequate for kitty play.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I got a guitar for $56, plus shipping, on e-bay. But dangit, it didn't come in a new cat toy box!
I seem to remember that you are somewhat of the cat toy expert. Even I have figured this one out. Simply remove the strings of the guitar. If your cats are small enough they will have a great time playing inside the guitar.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I seem to remember that you are somewhat of the cat toy expert. Even I have figured this one out. Simply remove the strings of the guitar. If your cats are small enough they will have a great time playing inside the guitar.
A while ago I picked up my acoustic, and heard something rattling around in it when I started playing. I shook it out, and it was a little stinky present my ferret decided to leave for me.
What a nice guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, when I say cheap guitar, I mean it! This one would be an excellent wall hanging, but it may not be much more than that! The brand on it is "Windaroo," which sounds Australian but I'd bet it's Chinese. A Chinese copy of a Gibson hollow-body electric.

The funny thing is that there are actually only a few real guitar-building factories in the world. Or at least companies who own them. Cort and Samick are the two biggest, and build virtually all the inexpensive guitars in the world. The bad news is that they're cheap. The good news is that, like Ford and their Model T, they make so many of them that they've actually gotten quite good. You can buy really excellent (but inexpensive) guitars for less now than you could in the '50's and '60's, and THOSE guitars today are sometimes in the tens of thousands of dollars! Add in the "custom shops" for such companies as Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, Schecter, and a few others, plus Matsumoku and Fujigen Gakki, and you've just about covered all the guitars in the world.

By the way, if you want an excellent electric guitar to learn on, I recommend the Ibanez RG120. Great sound, a roomy fingerboard, very good quality, and available new for $150, used on e-bay for about $100, maybe less.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, here's the bad news, folks. Except for a true American Strat, any number of companies build strats every bit as good as a Fender. And way less than half the price. It all depends on whether you buy a guitar to play or to collect and resell.

For example, I went and looked at every Mexican Fender I could find at Guitar Center. Not one of them had the frets ends finished as well as any of the Jay Tursers I've owned, and none of them cost more than $100. The Mexican Strat is about $350 (street), and the American Strat is about $700 street.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tell me about that Washburn.

Low-cost Fenders and Squiers have been made in the Fujigen Gakki factories (where Ibanez guitars are made), and Cort and Samick factories around the world. Fender works very hard at keeping the American models superior to those constructions, but the Japanese-made strats are very highly prized and were probably superior in every way to all the Fenders made everywhere, except those made in the Fender custom shop

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As many of the "old-timers" know, my husband was a full-time musician before we married but now does it part time. He plays electric bass. His dream was to design and build his own guitar which he finally did a couple years ago. He made the neck 1" longer than usual and a bit wider to accommodate his large hands and it is fretless. The fretboard is ebony and beautiful. When he finished it he put it in one of the larger wood shows and took the prize for Best of Show. He has also made one for his brother who is also an electric bass player.

Other musicians have told him it sounds better than any bass they've ever heard.

When he retires he would like to build custom-made basses for a hobby. He could never make it a business since he is a perfectionist and it would take him 6 months to make one guitar (or maybe even longer). He has been refinishing his other bass in a sunburst pattern and has applied and removed the colour 15 times so far - yes, no exaggeration - 15 times since July. I cannot see a big difference in each of the applications but apparently he does.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that sounds great.

I just got a "kit guitar" to build. Ash top. I'm going to stain it lightly.

You'd be surprised what the market is for truly good handmade guitars. $15,000 would not be a surprising amount for the bass he built.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Wow, that sounds great.

I just got a "kit guitar" to build. Ash top. I'm going to stain it lightly.

You'd be surprised what the market is for truly good handmade guitars. $15,000 would not be a surprising amount for the bass he built.
Hubby builds the body from swamp ash, the neck is maple (fret board ebony on his, as I said above).

On his brother's guitar he put 2 strips of purple heart wood between the light maple on the neck and it's lovely. I'm a big fan of purple heart anyway.

His finish looks like glass. It's truly beautiful. When he has completed the finish and has it all back together, I'll get a picture and post it here so you can see.

Working with wood seems to run in his family. His brother is a wood carver and is known as one of the best both here in North America as well as Europe.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone reads Skin & Ink magazine, dh's guitar is in it in the Halloween issue. There is an article about the pin striper Way Out Willie Fisher. Dh's is the red D'Armond Starfire. A mutual friend had it done for his birthday in 01. She's a beauty, and sounds good, too. He also has several G&L guitars, a Guild acoustic, and a Jay Tercer. We have a vintage Music Man hanging on the wall.