Should kittens be chipped before going to new homes?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
In the middle of July I took in a stray cat who happened to be pregnant (surprise, surprise
). She had three kittens on August 23. I'm going to have mom spayed and the kittens spayed/neutered as soon as the babies are completely weaned. I'll have mom chipped at the same time--it's cheaper and and less trauma for the kitty.

My question is, should I go ahead and have the kittens chipped, too? I'm looking for furever homes for all of them, and possibly for Goldy as well.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can - yes yes yes!! I think it's important for kitties to be chipped. All kittens I fostered and adopted out I got chipped when spayed and neutered and built that into the "adoption fee". I think people seemed happy to pay a little extra when it was done - they knew the kittens were well cared for to have that done, and it was extra peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but this is going to get expensive. I'll have to find out if my vet gives volume discounts.

The local Humane Society has just gotten organized and is in the process of building a facility. They do not currently have any funds available for a spay/neuter program. It could be several more months and I don't want to wait that long to take care of these kitties.

I'll be taking them to the vet next week for their first check-up and shots. I'll try to find out then what my options are.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started finding homes early on, and took $50 deposits to hold a kitten which offset some of the costs.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

In the middle of July I took in a stray cat who happened to be pregnant (surprise, surprise
). She had three kittens on August 23. I'm going to have mom spayed and the kittens spayed/neutered as soon as the babies are completely weaned. I'll have mom chipped at the same time--it's cheaper and and less trauma for the kitty.

My question is, should I go ahead and have the kittens chipped, too? I'm looking for furever homes for all of them, and possibly for Goldy as well.
My younger cat came from the local Humane Society with a chip. He was about three months old. I don't know that it did any harm.