temporary home for cat -- better to let settle in or give to new home right away?

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have taken in a cat (just this Tuesday) for a very irresponsible friend of mine.

This friend (let's call her Julie) gave me this cat (let's call her Missy) in 2002. I took the cat in for Julie's boyfriend in 2002 and she ended up being the best cat in the entire world. I then got an job offer to move abroad and gave the Missy back to Julie and her boyfriend who turned out to be her husband.

From 2004 to 2008 Julie and her husband had Missy and acquired another cat. Julie and her husband divorced in Jan 2008. Since then she has made some very bad decisions and decided to move in with a guy she had known for one month. He already has three cats of his own. Before she moved in, she asked me if I wanted Missy back. I thought about it, but eventually decided no. I didn't not want a cat at this point in my life AT ALL. I am not interested in being responsible for a cat right now in my life.

She moved in with her two cats this past weekend. Of course, they didn't introduce them properly and it was as you can imagine a big problem. She begged me this Monday to take Missy. I felt so bad for Missy and questioning Julie's judgment that I said, fine, I will take her temporarily and try to find a home for her.

Now, my question is -- today i found someone who might be willing to take Missy. This person already has a male cat who apparently loves other cats.

Should I:
1) Let Missy settle into my house and get over her trauma and THEN give her to this person?

2) Give Missy as soon as possible to this other person while she is in "transition" mode and get it over with?

What would be best for Missy?

Thanks!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to the person who wants to take Missy and ask if they're willing to keep her separate from the other cat and follow proper intros while the trauma dies down. If so, I'd say give her to them and let her get used to their home, so she isn't shifted about so much.

If not, well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I would talk to the person who wants to take Missy and ask if they're willing to keep her separate from the other cat and follow proper intros while the trauma dies down. If so, I'd say give her to them and let her get used to their home, so she isn't shifted about so much.

If not, well...
I would ONLY give her to someone with other cats if they understood how to introduce the cats and separate them properly. I am very protective of Missy, and don't want her traumatized any more!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Forensic. Why let her get used to your house if she is leaving soon anyway, the sooner the better I would think. Happy vibes for Missy.