Sleep deprivation

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I work 9am to 5pm (banker's hours) but last week I worked 10pm to 5am Sunday night, Monday night, and Tuesday night and I went back to my regular schedule Thursday and Friday. I did the same thing this week. Tomorrow and Friday I will be back to my day shift.

Meanwhile, I found out some pretty interesting things about functioning on sleep deprivation since I only get about 4hrs each day and it isn't the same quality of sleep that I get at night.

I have burned myself more this week than I have in the past year. I got a good one on the back of my leg that I would say is close to 3rd degree. I picked a bunch of charred skin out of it....

Tuesday night, I functioned on autopilot all night. I felt like I was about two seconds away from sleep all night and some of the craziest thoughts occurred to me in this mental state. Are the crazy mind wanderings a product of my subconcious being more active because I am on autopilot?

Anyhow, I will look forward to being back on my regular shift now

Does anyone know the best way for me to tell my hubby that I am desperately in love with Garth Brooks?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Normally I work 9am to 5pm (banker's hours) but last week I worked 10pm to 5am Sunday night, Monday night, and Tuesday night and I went back to my regular schedule Thursday and Friday. I did the same thing this week. Tomorrow and Friday I will be back to my day shift.

Meanwhile, I found out some pretty interesting things about functioning on sleep deprivation since I only get about 4hrs each day and it isn't the same quality of sleep that I get at night.

I have burned myself more this week than I have in the past year. I got a good one on the back of my leg that I would say is close to 3rd degree. I picked a bunch of charred skin out of it....

Tuesday night, I functioned on autopilot all night. I felt like I was about two seconds away from sleep all night and some of the craziest thoughts occurred to me in this mental state. Are the crazy mind wanderings a product of my subconcious being more active because I am on autopilot?

Anyhow, I will look forward to being back on my regular shift now
Nights are very hard on the body and more accidents happen on night shift than any other shift. So I'm not surprised that you are finding that you are injuring yourself more.

Does anyone know the best way for me to tell my hubby that I am desperately in love with Garth Brooks?
Well, you could always do one of the following:

1. Buy him a cowboy hat and a Karaoke and get him to sing "I've Got Friends in Low Places", and then jump him and rip off his clothing part way though;

2. Accidentally call him "Garth" during you know what ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I just burst out laughing and hubby just gave me the strangest look

That was an interesting mental pic Natalie

Honestly, I had some stranger thoughts than that occur to me over the past couple of nights. I guess I have to keep myself amused somehow!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be very careful! Sleep deprivation is dangerous.

As far as your husband, you could always write down your Garth Brooks fantasies but change his name and get it published as a novel. Hubby won't mind, he'll think it's about him and/or he'll like the added income.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah sleep deprivation. I'm quite familiar with it. Apparently one of my friends had found me having an argument with a bush in the arboretum after nearly 5 days without sleep, which I myself don't recollect.

It's actually strange but my natural sleep cycle seems to fall between 7 am and 6 pm. If I allow myself to fall asleep whenever I fall asleep, that's the schedule I naturally fall into. Since I have a day job, I feel constantly sleep deprived even if I get 12 hours a of sleep the night before. One of my doctor friends say its "social jet lag", or that some people are just natural vampires. Something to do in a delay in the sleep response, or circadian rhythm.

So every Friday I end up staying up till 4 in the morning, not getting up till sometime in the afternoon on Saturday, staying up till sunrise, and waking up sometime when it gets dark on Sunday. Mondays are somewhat bad for me, though since I actually get some decent sleep over the weekend I feel better on Monday than I would on Friday.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've went nearly 6 days without sleep - as far as I recall, I never argued with any inanimate objects.
I did start to see things though. Like beetles crawling out of a crack in the sidewalk - and no, there were no beetles.

If I wanted, I could probably look up and tell you exactly why you have sillier thoughts and why things may seem funnier, and even why you're more clumsy. Though off the top of my head I'd say it's probably to do with cortisol levels, among other things. It also tells you when to sleep and when it's time to wake up, so it has to play into things.

I don't know what to tell you - obviously you're not likely to change jobs (and for good reason) which would be the only exact solution. Be careful on your way to and from work.