Is it ok to feel this blue?

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lately I've been noticing I've been having what I call the "blahs" more and more. I get severe anxiety and it starts to affect my relationship with my SO. At night my mind races with all the things I need to take care of from house work to what I can do with the kids at work the following to how I'm gunna spread out my next paycheck. I can't sleep at times because of it. Then I stress and I find myself taking it out on my SO. Then once we have these huge blowout fights I retract into myself not wanting to do anything. I sleep and just feel flat out s***ty. My Dad actually gave me a few of his Xnax to test out and wow! what a difference it makes. I feel clear headed and able to enjoy doing things. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADHD as well as depression. I was placed on meds for the ADHD but I didn't take it cuz it made me so sick even with the lowest dose or I was a walking zombie. I was also given Zoloft but had an allergic reaction to it so stopped taking it. Does this sound normal or should I go to the doc and have a chat with her about these things I'm feeling?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your doctor and make sure some blood work is done. Just getting a prescription to cover the symptoms isn't what you need. You must make sure there's nothing else going on as vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormone problems, and blood sugar issues can all vastly affect moods.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you should have a doc check you out and run some blood tests. It is really amazing how something as simple as a vitamin, for example, can throw you way off track.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to add that excercise is really the best medicine for the soul. Ive been very bad about it lately myself, but after a few times of working out regularly you will feel much more at ease. Its a proven medical fact.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through a difficult time in my life years ago. I had prescriptions for valium and those type drugs are really bad news. For me all they did was cover up what I was depressed about. Xanax is a drug like valium and can be easily abused! They make you feel good when you first start taking them but like any drug they will turn on you and have bad affects later on.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on depression meds for several years now, and I really think they've helped me. Just to get off that treadmill of thinking...not sleeping...thinking...not sleeping. I know just what you mean. Your doc might want to test for hypothyroid as well - that can cause depression.

But the answer is no, it's not normal to be THAT blue, not for more than a few days.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Not just hypothyroid, hyper can, too, as well as other hormones such as cortisol. Issues with adrenaline (which can be caused from a few underlying health problems) can cause anxiety and anxiety like problems.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While the administration of The Cat Site is strongly supportive of the idea of providing a place for our members to help each other through tough times and to share their failures and successes in seeking treatment for their psychological disorders, it is vital that everyone is aware that The Cat Site absolutely cannot be a substitute for professional intervention. Also, neither the administration nor the members of The Cat Site can be expected to provide accurate information regarding mentalillness nor can we intervene when a member is in risk of harm to self or others.

The administration of The Cat Site strongly suggests that those seeking information and support while dealing with a psychological disorder visit the web site of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill http://www.NAMI.org This is a truly wonderful organization and the web site has extremely valuable information and links to other sites that have been approved by NAMI.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should talk to your doctor. And stop borrowing someone else's medication.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed when I start thinking of all the stuff that I need to do. Listing it all in my head makes it seem line it is so much bigger a task then it really is and I feel like I will never be able get it done.

One thing that helps me is to concentrate on thinking about and doing one thing at a time. Even if it is something as simple as "I need to get up out of this chair".

So rather than thinking "I need to do a million things and will never get it done and then I will be in worse shape than I am now".

I think of getting up, then doing one thing. Then when that's done do the next thing. Before I know it I'm done.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was it that you were on meds? Things may have moved on in terms of medication since you were last on them. If you constantly feel 'blah' and down then your doctor should be the first port of call. Make sure they rule out physiological causes such as anaemia or thyroid problems by blood test before prescribing anything, I was once initially diagnosed with depression but insisted on blood tests and lo and behold it turned out I was anaemic which was causing my symptoms.

Really a lot of different things can cause you to feel 'flat' and the first port of call should be your doctor, it could be something really easy to fix, and even if it's going to take a little longer at least you can get the process going

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently had blood work done because I was dealing with walking pneumonia and my doc wanted to make sure nothing else was the cause for my illness. The tests came back normal. I have been trying to get myself back into working out. I've been alternating between my pilates DVD and using the elliptical. The last time I was on my meds was like 7 years ago. The blues/mood swing come and go which is why I was wondering if any of you on here experience any thing like this as well.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, this doesn't sound okay. In fact, it sounds like it will get worse mentally, which will bother you more physically, emotionally, spiritually, and so on. Do not take meds that are not yours. There are so many different problems that can occur with doing that, don't mess with it. If you are ADHD, know that there are different meds on the market now, not just one. You can avoid the one that made you sick easily. ADHD can have co-morbid disorders as well, sometimes learning disabilities. You said you had depression already, so you really can't just say I have ADHD and need a medication for that to 'fix' it, or you need a med for depression to fix 'it', as you are not even really sure what 'it' is, it could be many things. I think you need to talk with a professional doctor in mental health since you already ruled out lab work to help get you back on track and to help you feel better
Help isn't as far away as you might think
Also, your thought patterns might also benefit from speaking with someone in mental health, there are behaviors you can do to lessen your anxiety on a daily basis. From simple things like yoga, prayer, eating a great diet, to things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. There is a lot available to you, but you will have to speak with a professional doctor in person. If you don't know where to go ask your general doctor for their recommendations or call your insurance provider if you have insurance.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

How long ago was it that you were on meds? Things may have moved on in terms of medication since you were last on them. If you constantly feel 'blah' and down then your doctor should be the first port of call. Make sure they rule out physiological causes such as anaemia or thyroid problems by blood test before prescribing anything, I was once initially diagnosed with depression but insisted on blood tests and lo and behold it turned out I was anaemic which was causing my symptoms.
i have some food that cause me to have depressive symptoms. weird, but true!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

I recently had blood work done because I was dealing with walking pneumonia and my doc wanted to make sure nothing else was the cause for my illness. The tests came back normal.
As many here can tell you, there's a lot of different types of blood tests. Those orders for infections, such as pneumonia, are not going to be looking for hormone problems and some tests are not simple - walk in give blood and walk out again. They take 24 hours of monitoring. Other tests, like thorough thyroid tests are not ordered unless you were to request them or a doctor really suspected there could be something wrong. B12, vitamin D, and magnesium are usually not checked in regular blood work - it has to be requested separately on it's own (along with many others).

Rule out everything. I've seen too many people's stories of having their TSH test fine but were mistreated for years when they really had thyroid problems.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a new trip to the doctor should be in order soon
I hope that you're able to get the help you need so you can get back to feeling better! The things you're describing are not normal, and I'd definitely go see a doctor if I was feeling that way.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As many here can tell you, there's a lot of different types of blood tests. Those orders for infections, such as pneumonia, are not going to be looking for hormone problems and some tests are not simple - walk in give blood and walk out again. They take 24 hours of monitoring. Other tests, like thorough thyroid tests are not ordered unless you were to request them or a doctor really suspected there could be something wrong. B12, vitamin D, and magnesium are usually not checked in regular blood work - it has to be requested separately on it's own (along with many others).

Rule out everything. I've seen too many people's stories of having their TSH test fine but were mistreated for years when they really had thyroid problems.
I agree completely! Routine blood work, or blood work done for infections doesn't nearly cover everything. My doctor ordered routine blood work done 3 weeks ago and I had to specifically request testing my thyroid. I just wanted it tested because it has NEVER been tested.

I think you should definitely talk to your doctor and find out what tests are needed to see if this is a physical problem. Good luck hon. Everyone goes through "blue" phases but yours don't sound right to me. Something is up.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I My doctor ordered routine blood work done 3 weeks ago and I had to specifically request testing my thyroid. I just wanted it tested because it has NEVER been tested.
Did you just get a TSH test? Because unless you request a full panel or the tests by name you may not have had free T3, free T4, or any of the other more sensitive tests for thyroid problems.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doctor gave me the order to take to the lab, and while I had NO idea what I was looking at, I do remember some "T" tests checked. Actually probably 12-15 checks all together which is more than I've ever seen on one of my blood work orders, and one of the reasons he wrote for the test was for hypothyroidism (or hyper, one or the other). So, I'm guessing he did? Maybe I should call and ask? He hasn't called to set up an appointment yet but he only sets one up if there is a concern, so hopefully I'm ok?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ It was your blood, your insurance/money, and by law they're your results. If you want to see them and have copies you're entitled to them.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Those orders for infections, such as pneumonia, are not going to be looking for hormone problems and some tests are not simple - walk in give blood and walk out again. They take 24 hours of monitoring. Other tests, like thorough thyroid tests are not ordered unless you were to request them or a doctor really suspected there could be something wrong. B12, vitamin D, and magnesium are usually not checked in regular blood work - it has to be requested separately on it's own (along with many others).

Good thinking!!