How do you explain that it's not playtime?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
k I love my kitty and, I admit it, I'm a complete softy.

Well I have a math test next week and I really need to do some heavy studying. Now do this I have a "study room" (a room that is off my bedroom, with the door removed) this room has a desk, school supplies, and um...well lol so far I haven't had to do heavy duty studying, so it's kind of become the cat's room. Since I am only renting two rooms, and the little box and food has to be somewhere, its in that room (didn't really want it in front of my bed, silly me).

Well now the problem is, I need to study, and not just the sit in bed and go over easy problems thing, the take notes, highlight and really get all the info kind of thing.

My cat seems to think this is now playtime. I hate telling him no, but he jumps onto my desk and tries to take the pen out of my hand (while I'm writing of course) and then sits down right on top of my book. I've tried giving him a feather toy, but he's right back five mins later.

I don't have this problem on my bed. For example, right now I'm on my bed writing this (I use a laptop) and he is curled up a foot away, napping. Now for now I can study on the bed, since I will have to, but this room just has to many other....tempting things (the tv, radio, phone, pleasure books ect..). I really can't do the same level of studying here.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm so bad at telling my cat no, if he jumps up where he shouldn't be I just put him on the floor, telling him no and then pet him (no good I know, but he's just so darn cute). I'm getting a bit frustrated...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats sounds like Kiko. If I am writing, he is right there wanting to take the pen from my hand.

I always have to stop and play with him for a bit and hope it was enough to be able to get back to writing, but its not always, so basically all I can offer is 'good luck'

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're serious about needing to study you'll have to get tough, either ignore the cats or shut them out of the room for a while.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adjust your schedule so that you can study while the cat is napping. Do it quietly so that you don't wake him up.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_L

Adjust your schedule so that you can study while the cat is napping. Do it quietly so that you don't wake him up.
That tickled me,
. My kitty finds it hard to guage when i am busy or not. In fact, he will actually lay or sit on the book or paper I am reading. He purrs around my laptop and rubs against it until he has managed to close it, or walks across the keyboard and sits there for a bit. He also waits for his opportunity to run off with pen or pencil and tries to chew my mobile phone or lays on it. I have tried and tried and I hate telling him off too. I do distract him with his ball toy that has treats in it. That can keep him occupied for a while. Mummy just seems far more interesting to him though. I shall keep an eye on this thread for some good info too