Thinking about getting an F1 KITTEN

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bengal -I've wanted one for a long long long time and now I am actually thinking about getting one. Not for breeding, just as a pet.

Anyone have any advice or information I might want to know? Anything would be appreciated!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would discourage you from an F1 Bengal. If you only want a pet, you really should adopt one that is F4 or above. You'll have a lot less problems and still get that "wild" look but tamer personality.

IMO only those that know how to handle F1 cats and are in a breeding program should be dealing with less then the F4 Bengals. I'm sure Nial would back me on this

BTW Nial is male, Terri's his wife

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh ok... I guess I should research on the F4's then.... I have 4 daughters and would not want a snotty mean kitty running around - I wanted more "friendly" but awesome looking.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to mention the kids and the ages. Many breeders are a bit cautious about the combo, and may want to meet you all first so they can better judge the personality to fit your family.

Not that the F1's are mean, but it is a direct cross of domestic to the Asian Leopard Cat and you have to know any special handling, etc. with them. Nial can give some more advice on this.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have an F1 bengal but I have to agree with GK about getting a bengal that is at least an F4 and up too.

I have a female Bengal who is a handful. Zoey is past the F4 generation and she still doesn't act like a tame cat at times! She loves to play and she is really vocal!!! Her energy levels exceed any of my other cats. Zoey is not a lap cat and doesn't like to be picked up. She lays next to us and is very affectionate on her terms. My cat I don't think would be good with little kids. I know cats have their own little personalities. I love Zoey more than anything and she has become a special cat in our home. She is really demanding of her playtime. When I get up in the morning I play with her until I go to work and then when I get home she wants her playtime with mom! She will bring her toys to me if she feels I am ignoring her, she will even jump on the computer keyboard and leave me a toy if i ignore her to long! Zoey loves water and tries to get in the bath tub with me. Right now she is taking a nap but is within range where she can see me get up and leave the room. I'm owned by a bengal!!!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Sorry I didnt know he was a man.
I feel stupid now.
No need to. There frequently is no way to tell gender in these forums.

I second what abbycats says about Bengals. They can be a handful. My Coco is the most adorable cat I have ever had. It's hard to explain what I mean by "adorable" though. She loves attention but isn't a lap cat and doesn't like to be held. She isn't as vocal as Bengals can be but she does need to be played with a lot and will yell a bit if she wants you to play with her. Since she doesn't like to be held I don't know how she would be with kids.

I hope Nial pipes up soon. He can tell you what you need to know.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I have seen my first "scam" on these cats. Some lady on craigslist posted a kitty saying one thing about how her MOM bought the cat and did not know her dad was allergic, so now they have to sell the cat for 300/ half the price they paid originally.

Then I go to backpage looking and the same lady, same email, and number says she has high quality cats, talking about breeding, yadda yadda and the same cat pic is up asking for much more! I called her and she said she gets calls from all over the world sent to her and that the going price at the moment is 500. Im all.. well what happen to 300? She got quiet... I said, is he f1, f2, f3, f4, or f5? She never answered and moved on LOL

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BYB and it probably isn't even a Bengal. Just a normal tabby that looks like one and she's breeding and trying to pass them off as Bengals.

Craigslist and Petfinder and others like them will frequently label almost any cat that has markings similar to an Ocicat or a Bengal as the breed. I've even seen some red spotted tabby/white labeled as an Ocicat. Ocicat don't even come in the color of red, let alone have a lot of white on them!

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it.

Okay, gotta ask...

What is the difference between...
Bengal
Ocicat
Savannah
serengeti

ETC... Sorry if I am more than ignorant
Just curious.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MommysMeows

Sounds like it.

Okay, gotta ask...

Bengal
Ocicat
Savannah
serengeti

Just curious.
I can get this one!

Bengal - originated from hybrid matings of domestic cat x Asian Leopard Cat. Early generations have a lot of ALC blood, but later generations are 1/16th or less wild blood. They passed on some stunning markings but later generations have a domestic temperament, although are very energetic!

Ocicat - no wild blood - spotted domestic breed that originated from Siamese x Abyssinian matings. Lively and friendly cats.

Savannah - originated from Domestic/Bengal x Serval hybrid. Larger than a normal domestic cat, some countries and US states may require a licence to keep larger hybrids such as this.

Serengeti - spotted domestic cat - 4th generation and later Bengal x Oriental Shorthair so effectively no wild blood. Imagine the ears and angular head of an OSH but with round eyes and the ears placed more upright, on the heavier muscular body of the Bengal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MommysMeows

Sounds like it.

Okay, gotta ask...

Bengal original cross was domestic tabby to an Asian Leopard Cat
Ocicat original cross was Aby/Siamese and then American SH to have a medium build and the silver gene - 100% domestic cat, no wild
Savannah original cross - domestic with the African Serval cat
Serengeti Bengal and Oriental SH were the foundations cats

Just curious.
Except for the Ocicat which is 100% domestic created, the rest all involve wild cats in the foundation/background.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And then we have the Egyptian Mau, which is also a spotted breed, but came the way they are right out of Egypt.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

And then we have the Egyptian Mau, which is also a spotted breed, but came the way they are right out of Egypt.
Oooh, very beautiful that one is... Hmm