Do you have a song that evokes strong memories?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do now

We were in the Seychelles, on the balcony at my aunt and uncles place sitting back watching the most amazing night sky, glass of wine in hand and feeling incredibly relaxed and happy. Then my uncle said "you'll like this next song". It was Beautiful World by Colin Hay (ex Men at Work). These are 2 of the verses:

My my my itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a beautiful world
I like swimming in the sea
I like to go out beyond the white breakers
Where a man can still be free (or a woman if you are one)
I like swimming in the sea.

My my my itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a beautiful world
I like driving in my car
Roll the top down sometimes I travel quite far
Drive to the ocean stare up at the stars
I like driving in my car
Sitting under the stars with the waves breaking, the moon coming up, and this song playing when a shooting star flew across the sky - I felt so moved.

You can hear the song here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3Rq...eature=related

oci-lot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This song reminds me of my old girlfriend Kaitlin who I still love with all my heart. It's called Pancho and Lefty and its by Townes Van Zandt.....everytime i hear it or think of it i think of myself standing next to her and i always feel real bad...but its a beautiful song i think... heres a part
Pancho was a bandit boy,
His horse was fast as polished steel
He wore his gun outside his pants
For all the honest world to feel.
Pancho met his match you know
On the deserts down in mexico
Nobody heard his dying words,
Ah but thats the way it goes.

All the federales say
They could have had him any day
They only let him slip away
Out of kindness, I suppose.
i care so much about music...and this man is a genius
heres the video

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years ago, John and I went to Gatlinburg, TN. While there, John played a particular CD in the car over and over (and over and over and over
) again for the entire 4 days we were there... and of course on the way down and back. Anyway, it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. There were about four particular songs that he would repeat more often than the others. So anytime I hear those songs now it's like I'm instantly transported back to that summer and that trip. I love it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really any particular song but certain albums. Songs from The Cars '78 S/T and '81 Shake It Up always remind me of my uncle - listening to these albums together when he would baby sit me or when we were in the car.
My parents had one a fairly nice stereo back in the 80s, with huge speakers - the amount of bass they could put out was awesome. I remember my uncle would turn up the music really loud (vinyl back then, at that) and we had these metal milk containers - my parents used a couple of them to hold metal ashtrays. The bass would make the ashtrays rattle producing the weirdest noise - so we'd purposely turn it up loud enough whenever possible so it would rattle. I'll always remember the odd effect it added to the intro of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla - both my uncle and I thought it sounded funny.

Talking with my other uncle Saturday night. We both tend to listen to a lot of rock and metal and think about how he would have liked certain bands...

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a particular rap song--have purposely tried to forget the name and lyrics--that evokes terrible memories of an emotionally abuse boyfriend from my past. Hubby knows of the person but no idea about the song--played it a few months back and sent me into hysterics, to say the least it won't be played in this house again.

Leslie

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do, a song called Now and Then by Blackmore night. When my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me and I thought it was the end of the world I listened to it none stop, helped me get the strength to pick myself back up

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate everything about you by Three Days Grace.
It takes me back to a time when I was in a bad place doing bad things with a bad guy. I can't even listen to it or else my emotions just take over.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Don't give up (you are loved) by Josh Groban

I somehow find hope when I hear that song even when I don't think I have any left. It always makes me cry.
I love that one too

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several... The one that sticks out right now is "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Timbaland's Apologize makes me bawl every time, even today....that was the one song I played so much when I was dealing with the thought that I was going to have to euthanize my foster dog Jack. I spent days crying over what I had to do to one of the most fantastic dogs I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. What I'd give to be able to hug him one more time....

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/twtich1/Dogs/?action=view&current=Jack.flv

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

For me, it's "I'll be seeing You". My mom used to sing me to sleep with that when I was little. For some reason, it still makes me feel safe and loved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4hZ...eature=related
Oooh I love the Billie Holliday version of that song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBiRm...eature=related

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Timbaland's Apologize makes me bawl every time, even today....that was the one song I played so much when I was dealing with the thought that I was going to have to euthanize my foster dog Jack. I spent days crying over what I had to do to one of the most fantastic dogs I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. What I'd give to be able to hug him one more time....

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/twtich1/Dogs/?action=view&current=Jack.flv
Watching the video made me cry as well

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few songs that really evoke memories for me...some plesant, some not.

"Father of Mine" - Everclear - reminds me of my scumbag father. This song makes me cry and get angry every time I hear it. Every word in that song is soo applicable to my life! Songs like this remind me of what i've gone through and make me bound and determined to be a good parent whenever we have kids.

"November Rain" always reminds me of my ex as does
"Same old lange syne - Dan Fogelberg
and anything by "Mazzy Star"

and finally a good cheesy one,

"There She is, Miss America" - Wayne Bernie
My Russian grandad used to sing that song to me when I was really little. I miss him dearly!
Everytime I hear that song, I always think of the goodtimes I had around him when I was a little girl- he was such a wonderful man!

As far as my favorites go....

"Heaven" - Bryan Adams....makes me smile soo big everytime I hear it- it's mine and my husband's song...and it was our first dance at our wedding. It's just soo special to me!

"Send Me an Angel" - the Scorpians- also another one that reminds me of my husband....it was the last dance at our wedding

"Bless the Broken Road" - Rascal Flatts- this song reminds me of how greatful I am to have my wonderful husband and how every little heartbreak in my life really just led me right into his arms. It's prefect!

"Kiss to Build a Dream On"- my hubby sings this song to me all the time- it is soo sweet
(keep in mind he does a perfect louie armstrong impression....hilarious considering he's 1/2 Asian
)

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the song by Conway Twitty "Thats My Job" Everytime I hear it I cry, It makes me think of my dad and I miss him so much!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One song reminds me of my beautiful Belle, a lovely Himalayn who I lost to CRF at age 6. I had a new cd, and it seemed as if I was listening to it everytime I had to give her forced-feedings or IVs. To this day (and it's been almost 3 years) I can't listen to this song without crying.

'May It Be" by Enya, from "The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring"

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first heard "Butterfly Kisses" I was reminded of my Dad. He loved his girls.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An autumn afternoon in 1969. I'm sitting on my pink satin bedspread under a fishnet full of seashells hung over my bed, doing homework and listening to WASH radio, rock-n-roll for Washington DC. The radio had a cassette recorder in it, and I always taped the songs I liked. On this day, they played Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", and I caught it right from the start, so I was thrilled! You know how the song ends -- the "doo doo doo doo doot, doot doot doo doo doo doot" section. I was hovering over the button, ready to cut it off instantly when it ended, but the DJ was too quick for me, and he slipped in the time. "Four-twenty-one," he said, before I hit the button.

Well, I listened to that tape hundreds of times over the next several years, so for me, "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" will always end with the words, "Four-twenty-one."
It always transports me instantly back to my room in the house on Wayles Street and the pink bedspread and the hanging fishnet and the math homework and the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil.