Taking the plunge

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've considered ourselves equal to a married couple for quite some time now and were planning to remain that way, but we've decided to officially/legally marry. My mother is so excited she's in full swing wedding planning mode. His mother, for some completely unknown reason, is not in support of this decision.
This has really thrown a wrench into things, but other than that were really excited. I don't know where to begin with things!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about his mom- enjoy your planning

Lots of non-stressful planning vibes headed your way!

www.theknot.com - this website was really helpful when I was planning mine!

www.marthastewart.com - there's a wedding section on her website that's helpful as well

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Congratulations to you both!
Hopefully, his Mom will come around to the idea, if not, then dont her her rain on your parade.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thats wonderful! congrats! I wouldn't worry to much about his mom, she will come around

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats. But its a bit odd that one mother is excited and the other isn't. Hope things work out. How long has it been?

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm right in the boat with you. My side's excited, her side wishes both of us dead
I don't mean to laugh and be crass about it, but what else can you do, right? Just enjoy your planning and don't let it get to you. It's a happy stressor! Congratulations!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Have fun planning, I've just recently become engaged and just started planning mine. It's fun, but stressful, even in the early stages, but enjoy it.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

www.marthastewart.com - there's a wedding section on her website that's helpful as well
Thanks for that link! I've been looking for more links related to weddings and love this one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Congrats. But its a bit odd that one mother is excited and the other isn't. Hope things work out. How long has it been?
Well his mother has been referring to me as her daughter in-law for probably 2 years now....that's why it's so odd that she's freaking out. It was only this past weekend that we told everyone that we're actually getting married.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you been together? I have been happily unmarried to a great guy for 23 years. We refer to ourselves as husband and wife, but we never did the paperwork. We are planning on getting living wills and limited power of attorney over each other, just in case any of his family members try to stick their unwelcome noses in, God Forbid, something happen to him. I will be able to make medical and property decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

How long have you been together? I have been happily unmarried to a great guy for 23 years. We refer to ourselves as husband and wife, but we never did the paperwork. We are planning on getting living wills and limited power of attorney over each other, just in case any of his family members try to stick their unwelcome noses in, God Forbid, something happen to him. I will be able to make medical and property decisions.
We were really planning to just continue living together as a committed couple, that's what we'd talked about for the last 5 years anyway. After all, marriage is not "necessary" these days. BUT...then we started talking about having a wedding, and how much simpler things would be if we were married, in regard to those things that you just mentioned, etc. and one thing led to another and we set a date.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!

My mother is extremely excited, my fiance's mother is being a real pain in the butt with everything that we're going through right now, but I'm trying to ignore her rudeness and not let her rain on my parade (like Pami said
)

Enjoy your planning, its a lot of work but quite fun!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!
That's definitely exciting. Dont let the future MIL bother you by not being supportive.