Water fountain question

christine760

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are looking at getting one of these for our 2 cats, mainly for the one that's recently had kidney issues and I have a couple questions for those that have them. Did your cat(s) really start drinking more water after you bought it? Which kind do you have? Do any of you have cats that splash in it? Our other cat only drinks water with her paws...she dips it into the bowl now and licks the water off. She loves water and so we are concerned that this is just going to be a new toy for her that's going to be more of a mess than the current water bowls she has. Thanks for any input!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your cat(s) really start drinking more water after you bought it? well, it seems like it... altho i never measured!

Which kind do you have? i have 2 petmate freshflows & 1 drinkwell platinum. i personally prefer the drinkwell, as does Pixel - it's easier to clean & also stays cleaner, IMO. however, the other cats seem to prefer the freshflows.

Do any of you have cats that splash in it? no... but they didn't do that w/the bowls, either.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751253

I bought it for Chynna's birthday but she got freaked out by it and won't give it the time of day. However, Abby absolutely loves it and will sit there and drink and go back for more because she likes the bubble sound it makes when the reservoir is releasing water into the bowl.

I'm not sure why some feel it's hard to clean.
I find it so very easy to clean. Takes me about 3 minutes (if that) from the time I pick it up, wash it inside and out, refill it and put it back.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751253

I bought it for Chynna's birthday but she got freaked out by it and won't give it the time of day. However, Abby absolutely loves it and will sit there and drink and go back for more because she likes the bubble sound it makes when the reservoir is releasing water into the bowl.

I'm not sure why some feel it's hard to clean.
I find it so very easy to clean. Takes me about 3 minutes (if that) from the time I pick it up, wash it inside and out, refill it and put it back.
That's the kind I had the first time, now I have a CatIt. Yes, our kitties definitely drink more with the fountain and it's always much fresher.

Some folks seem to have difficulty cleaning the CatIt, but I don't find it a problem at all. I clean it every Saturday and just add water through the week if it needing extra. About once a month or 6 weeks, I will soak it in vinegar to clean any scale away and it's great again for another month to 6 weeks.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christine760

Did your cat(s) really start drinking more water after you bought it?
I think so, especially after I got a second one and put it in a room they like to lounge in.

Which kind do you have?
PetMate.

Do any of you have cats that splash in it?
No but for a long time Zara would shove it around (yes, the whole fountain!) and water should spill out. I was always surprised at how far she could move it. It is the med sized one and when full of water it is fairly heavy, in kitty terms at least. I never could figure out why she did it. All I could think of is that she likes the gurgling sound it makes when the water is disturbed. I put it on a rubber mat to make it harder for her to move and that has done the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christine760

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to get one this week and hope they don't make too much of a mess. I'll probably have to put some sort of plastic mat under it too. We have to have a tray under the bowls now to keep the one from soaking the floor.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christine760

Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to get one this week and hope they don't make too much of a mess. I'll probably have to put some sort of plastic mat under it too. We have to have a tray under the bowls now to keep the one from soaking the floor.
i got a roll of that plastic carpet runner - like you put under rolling chairs so they'll roll smoothly on carpet? - at Dollar General to put under mine.

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had one that my cats seemed to like, but they did continue to drink from a bowl as well. Both of my cats are good drinkers, but I just thought they would enjoy it. At first, they would just sit and stare at it for hours. They finally got to where they would drink out of it, but it was still sort of a toy. One of my cats eventually tore it up by repeatedly pulling the pump part into the water. I don't know how he did it (it was pretty heavy), why he did it (he puts everything in his food or water bowl - all his toys, mice, etc), or why it didn't electrocute him!!! Every day I would come home to find the pump over in the water. I finally caught him doing it, and took it away. It was broken at that point! Crazy cats!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first fountain I had was the fresh flow. I bought that one when my last cat Smokey went into kidney failure. I bought that one specificly because the water ran down the ramp and would not scare her. She was old, her eye sight was poor, and she HATED getting wet! I knew she would be afraid of anything that splashed. (This was back when there were only 2 fountains to chose from) I think she did drink more with the fountain.

My four spoiled brats now refuse to drink from a regular water bowl. They will only drink from a fountain, or a dripping faucet. I had the Fresh Flow when they were little & when that one started leaking all over I bought a CAT-IT. I personally hate cleaning any fountian, but since it's for my babies I do it. I think you have to look at what you think your cats will like the most. Isaac only played in it when he was a kitten, but he would have done the same with a water bowl. He used to love to put his toys in the bowl. None of them splash in the water.

christine760

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got the Petmate Fresh Flow one last night. The one cat that likes to play in the water was curious and started drinking out of it then. The other cat is still kinda leary of it and has smelled it and stuff, but we haven't seen her drink out of it. I'm hoping she is drinking from it, just not when we are around. She does still have a bowl of water available, but it doesn't look like she has touched it.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we bought two and although the cats like them they still prefer to drink from the bathroom faucet

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

No but for a long time Zara would shove it around (yes, the whole fountain!) and water should spill out. I was always surprised at how far she could move it. It is the med sized one and when full of water it is fairly heavy, in kitty terms at least. I never could figure out why she did it. All I could think of is that she likes the gurgling sound it makes when the water is disturbed. I put it on a rubber mat to make it harder for her to move and that has done the trick.
Oh no... how big are your cats? I am fearing this is what's gonna happen to us - this pushing and shoving of the fountain. We already use rubber mats with regular bowls.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

Oh no... how big are your cats? I am fearing this is what's gonna happen to us - this pushing and shoving of the fountain. We already use rubber mats with regular bowls.
Zara is 11 lbs. She isn't big, just determined when it came to that fountain! It was strange to watch. She would get behind it and kinda paw at the bottom edge of it. Maybe she was trying to get at the source of the pump sound???

But putting it on a rubber mat cured her. She still occasionally paws at it but she gets bored pretty quick when she realizes she can't move it.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have a pet mate deluxe http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751253. My kitty loves it although he drags everything and anything into it
It is sooo endearing. He doesn't like getting his paws wet and so when he dos he flicks the water everywhere
I do think that he drinks more water too, i noticed in his box that he tiddled more. I haven't found it hard to clean at all, I always make sure i change the filter often too and give it a good clean out on the weekend, if it wasn't clean fresh water I don't think he would be interested, he would sit by the tap, thats what he did when we came back from holiday

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Zara is 11 lbs. She isn't big, just determined when it came to that fountain! It was strange to watch. She would get behind it and kinda paw at the bottom edge of it. Maybe she was trying to get at the source of the pump sound???

But putting it on a rubber mat cured her. She still occasionally paws at it but she gets bored pretty quick when she realizes she can't move it.
Jordan used to flip the petmate fountain over. I had to put it on a carpet without a lip. That seemed to work.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Jordan used to flip the petmate fountain over. I had to put it on a carpet without a lip. That seemed to work.
I would love to see that!!!! Flip the whole thing over
Sorry but that is hilarious!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

I would love to see that!!!! Flip the whole thing over
Sorry but that is hilarious!
I can laught at it now, but comming home to a floor full of water is not that funny trust me.

christine760

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like we all have some playful, creative kitties

Just to update, they are both drinking out of it now! Yay!