Go Cubs Go!!

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the official Cubs support playoff thread.

The postseason starts Wednesday...and I think this is our year!!!

Any other Cubs' fans out there, make your presence known!

(I know there is at least one.....the lady with the cats named Ernie and Santo)

GO CUBS GO!!!
GO CUBS GO!!!
GO CUBS GO!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I always cheer my buddy on, and he is a huge Cubs fan. Does cheering by proxy count?
Yes it does krazy kat! Thanks for your support.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

nope my friend,...
Fan of the Cleveland Indians...
they don´t pass this year...

good luck at your Cubs!..
Thanks CoolCat!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, so sorry I didn't see this sooner! Don't tell me there are so few of us here.
I've been a Cubs fan my entire life, but really got into them when our local cable company started carrying WGN in 1982.
Do you really think this is their year? I want to believe it is---so badly---but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm wearing one of my many Cubs shirts today, and anxiously awaiting the game tonight. I don't think the Cubs will have any trouble with the Dodgers (altho' I hope they don't have to face Maddux). I'm pretty sure they can beat any team in the NL, it's the AL I'm worried about.
Great call on Lou's part having Dempster start tonight. Now if Lee & Fukudome would just start hitting! Hopefully D-Ro's leg and Soto's wrist are ok, and both will be playing tonight, altho I heard this morning that Pie is in the lineup tonight.
Are you as happy with the addition of Jim Edmunds as I am?
I'm getting totally carried away. Is it obvious I'm a Die Hard Cubs Fan?

GO CUBBIES

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Geez, so sorry I didn't see this sooner! Don't tell me there are so few of us here.
I've been a Cubs fan my entire life, but really got into them when our local cable company started carrying WGN in 1982.
Do you really think this is their year? I want to believe it is---so badly---but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm wearing one of my many Cubs shirts today, and anxiously awaiting the game tonight. I don't think the Cubs will have any trouble with the Dodgers (altho' I hope they don't have to face Maddux). I'm pretty sure they can beat any team in the NL, it's the AL I'm worried about.
Great call on Lou's part having Dempster start tonight. Now if Lee & Fukudome would just start hitting! Hopefully D-Ro's leg and Soto's wrist are ok, and both will be playing tonight, altho I heard this morning that Pie is in the lineup tonight.
Are you as happy with the addition of Jim Edmunds as I am?
I'm getting totally carried away. Is it obvious I'm a Die Hard Cubs Fan?

GO CUBBIES
Yes its obvious you're a Die Hard Cubs fan.....and a very knowledgable one!
To be honest I wasn't crazy about getting Edmonds at first....I mean I've been booing him for years...but he won me over with some big hits and nice catches in centerfield. Pie is starting tonite? Oh lord....I hope they put Reed Johnson out there instead. Felix might be good some day....but now, not so much. Lee and Fukudome have both showed signs of hitting late in the season. I can't believe Lee only hit 20 homers....you'd think at 6'5", 230 lbs., he'd get 35-40 just by accident!

Yeah they're definitley the class of the National League...although the Phillies will be a challenge if we make it to the NLCS. The AL is tough! Plus the AL has home field advantage in the WS due to that dumb All-Star game (terrible rule!). I think overall, we have the best chance of going all the way...mainly due to pitching. When you have 17-game winner Ted Lilly as your #4 starter, you have a GREAT staff. Heck, he'd be #1 or #2 on most staffs. And the bullpen is lights out (provided they throw strikes).

I know there is at least one more Cubs fan on the board. As I mentioned in the OP, she has her cats named after two Cub's greats. Can't remember her screen name though....hopefully she is still a member and sees the thread. We need all the support we can get.

Well, approximately, 3 hours and 1 minute until game time. I'm starting to get a lil nervous!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wasn't crazy about getting Edmonds at first....I mean I've been booing him for years...
You & me both! DH's been joking that maybe the Cards will be dumb enough to cut Pujols loose for us, too!

I like Reed Johnson, and I'd like to see him starting instead of Pie. Looks as if Lou is going for speed instead of power. Fukudome has been a pleasant surprise defensively; Soriano scares me sometimes. He can be such a hotdog at times. Hopefully, he'll get into one of those hot streaks where he hits anything & everything.

Zambrano worries me; before he went down with that sore shoulder I was telling DH that there was something wrong with Z, that the Cubs' drs. needed to be checking him out. (maybe the Cubbies should hire me?) I still think his shoulder is wonky and he won't admit it. The bullpen looks so good on paper--I think Marmel is great and when Wood has his head on straight he's unhittable.

I'm getting carried away again, aren't I?
It's nice to talk to another fan. Honestly, my stomach is in knots and I firmly believe the Cubbies are going to win tonight. When they make it to the world series my head is likely to explode from the tension!

Gonna send some winning vibes to our team

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah the Big Z scares me too. Aside from the no-hitter, he hsan't had too many good outings lately. Maybe they should move Lilly to the #2 starter.
I wish Soriano would go on one of his hot streaks....he can totally carry a team. Yeah Reed Johnson has been great....can't believe Toronto let him go. I'd assume have him up there in a clutch situation as anybody. I wish the cardinals would loan us Albert....that would rock! I'm pretty sure he's on their "untouchable" list though.

GO CUBS GO!!!!

Just 2 hours and 26 minutes.....

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lord, what happened last night?! How could Dempster look so bad!
I was relieved that Lou had changed his starting lineup and put in Edmonds instead of Pie; didn't help much, did it?
I'm really at a loss for words; I was positive the Cubbies would take game 1, pretty much roll over the Dodgers, and that game 2 was going to be 'iffy'.
Did I miss something? Is Greg Maddux the Dodgers' closer? I was worried about facing him as a starter; even at his age he's one of the best.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Oh Lord, what happened last night?! How could Dempster look so bad!
I was relieved that Lou had changed his starting lineup and put in Edmonds instead of Pie; didn't help much, did it?
I'm really at a loss for words; I was positive the Cubbies would take game 1, pretty much roll over the Dodgers, and that game 2 was going to be 'iffy'.
Did I miss something? Is Greg Maddux the Dodgers' closer? I was worried about facing him as a starter; even at his age he's one of the best.
Oh that was a disaster. Dempster walks three straight guys then gives up a grand slam. Just let the air right out of the balloon.

Maddux is one of their starters, they're just using him in middle relief for the playoffs since they'll probably have just a three man rotation.

Tonites a must-win. They can't go down 2-0, especially then going to LA. The Big Z better be "on".

I hope this don't turn out like last year.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit concerned; after all, we are talking about the Cubs.
Being a Cubs fan I know you realize I'm not slamming them at all, just being realistic.
The game starts in just a few minutes, and I'm hoping Z isn't going out there TOO hyped-up. He's got to realize a boat-load is resting on his shoulders tonight. You know, if the worst happens tonight, teams have come back after being down 2 games. Seems to me that happened to the Padres in 84, after the Cubs beat them 2 at Wrigley (I don't like thinking about that year, it makes me sad).
Gotta think positive. It would be poetic justice for our team to go all the way this year.
GO CUBS!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, do we start to get a little concerned now?
Poor Z, he really did pitch a good game. I don't know how he kept himself in check after that 2nd inning. I was stunned by D-Ro's error; Lee's error made me yell so loud my DH came in from the other room to see what was wrong!

They just are not playing good ball, there's no other way to put it.
I felt soooo bad for Big Z; when they showed him sitting in the dugout with his head in his hands it hit me---he's just a kid. A big horse of a kid
, but still just a kid. This had to be so discouraging for him.

Is Harden scheduled to start Saturday? DH always says that Lou needs to shake up his line-up when the big boys aren't hitting. I think taking Soriano out might actually be a good idea; I love Fukudome's defense but his offense sucks lately; I assume Soto's wrist is bothering him and I can't see taking him out---yet.

Yeah, I'm worried now.