2 and a half months and she's still mad....

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved in about two and half months ago and my room mate is very....well unhappy. She would hiss and my cat, and me, when ever she saw us (though she made no move to hurt us). I chalked this up to bring in a new, and much younger, kitten and that she would get over it soon.

Well I admit I was alittle hurt by this, animals have always loved me before, but well the simple truth was that she was not my cat. The problem is now she won't even spend alot of time with her, she comes in to eat and then she wants right back out (she is a indoor/outdoor cat). She won't even sit on my room mate's lap anymore.

I had hoped it would get better as time has gone by, but its been two and a half months and things aren't better. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have tried treats, and playing with her but she is rather old (seven to eight years) and just isn't interested in playing...I just don't know what else I can do. I feel so guilty....

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried something like the Feliway diffusers? I know they're expensive, but could be worth it to make everybody happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Have you tried something like the Feliway diffusers? I know they're expensive, but could be worth it to make everybody happy.
Would it still be useful now? I thought that was for when you first have them meet...not that I had any then, but I thought it was to late

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females (spayed or not) tend to be more terrorial and take a lot longer to accept a new cat.

After 2 yrs with Charlie, Ling still doesn't really like him as a buddy - he keeps antaginizing her most of the time, making her run and hiss at him. Hopefully when Jack gets here, him and Charlie will play a lot more with each other and leave Ling alone.

Ling tolerates Charlie, but misses him when he's gone to a show - that lasts maybe 1/2 hour of being nice to each other

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Females (spayed or not) tend to be more terrorial and take a lot longer to accept a new cat.

After 2 yrs with Charlie, Ling still doesn't really like him as a buddy - he keeps antaginizing her most of the time, making her run and hiss at him. Hopefully when Jack gets here, him and Charlie will play a lot more with each other and leave Ling alone.

Ling tolerates Charlie, but misses him when he's gone to a show - that lasts maybe 1/2 hour of being nice to each other
the frustrating thing is the reason I got a male kitten (he was about 5 months when I got him) was I told that Tess (the older cat) would do better with a young male kitten. He is so good with her, he will turn on his back and inch up toward her all but begger her to be friends....he's slowly starting to learning he won't be able to be friends, but it breaks my heart. At the shelter he was allowed to run around with all the other cats, playing with them all...(they were kept in a room and let to run around with each other if they chose if they didn't have a health problem) I wish I could get another cat for him to play with, but with Tess being how she is, I don't dare...I just wish I didn't feel so bad about making her shy off from my room mate...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are unpredicatable...they never want to follow the rules
In time, maybe they will work out a semi-truce.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

Would it still be useful now? I thought that was for when you first have them meet...not that I had any then, but I thought it was to late
I don't see why it wouldn't work now. The information I've read about Feliway, or other similar products, indicates that it is supposed to be calming for cats. I do know people buy refills after two or three months, which means they're using it long-term, not just for introductions.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I don't see why it wouldn't work now. The information I've read about Feliway, or other similar products, indicates that it is supposed to be calming for cats. I do know people buy refills after two or three months, which means they're using it long-term, not just for introductions.
wonderful, thank you