If money no object, how would you feed your cat?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have been reading all the ways that people feed their kitties. I didn't feed mine dry as when I first got him it made him sick. Then, once i read on here about kitties getting bored of the same food, which mine was definately bored of, i thought i would try it and he dived in. I don't really know enough about the good foods although I have an idea. Wet for me here is hi-life, natures menu or tesco luxury. Dry is either James wellbeloved or iams natural. I was just wondering, after reading some comments, is wet the preferred feeding but not the only way due to cost? I know wet is more expensive. So, to reiterate, do some feed dry as it is cheaper? If money was no object how would you feed your cat? Thank you.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If money was No object, I would probably feed Pre-made Raw. But since it is a object we feed dry with a can of wet a day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehehe, I have put quite a few posts here about food, prob driving everyone nuts! I have tried to read online about what to look for but end up getting more confused. Maybe my brain can't hope with all the info! I am not saying that money is no object to me but just to get an idea of the ideal way to feed and what! Getting a bit anxious about my decisions and I think looking for a bit of reassurance. Just wanna know how I can do my best for him.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While cost is somewhat of a consideration, I think convenience a significantly greater part of the reason I feed dry. I also have cats that don't much like wet.

Knowing my cats, if cost was not an issue, I would probably feed a high quality dry (which I do now - Orijen) and a high quality wet (right now I feed Authority wet, which is so-so - but they don't eat a lot of it).

If convenience wasn't an issue and my cats weren't so darn picky about wet food, I would probably feed exclusively high-quality wet food (likely Wellness grain-free).

If neither convenience nor cost (or cat preferences) were an issue, I would try out a raw diet.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Hehehe, I have put quite a few posts here about food, prob driving everyone nuts! I have tried to read online about what to look for but end up getting more confused. Maybe my brain can't hope with all the info! I am not saying that money is no object to me but just to get an idea of the ideal way to feed and what! Getting a bit anxious about my decisions and I think looking for a bit of reassurance. Just wanna know how I can do my best for him.
Whole prey raw. As someone else posted, convenience is an issue also especially when considering feeding raw. It is probably the most inconvenient thing you can feed but not really more expensive than canned.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am with mschauer on this one. It would definitely be the whole prey model diet. With money out of the equation, what I get in return in lots of time to prepare her food. I still feed premium wet now and no dry, but the next step of course would be to go the whole nine yards. Whole prey model is definitely the best for our feline babies but like I said, without having to worry about making a living and putting food on the table, this route is definitely worth the time and inconvenience.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Whole prey raw. As someone else posted, convenience is an issue also especially when considering feeding raw. It is probably the most inconvenient thing you can feed but not really more expensive than canned.
Hello, if i could press you further, if you look here again or if anyone else knows. What would the 'whole prey raw' mean? Sorry if i sound stupid. Would I have to kill animals? What animals would they be? Mice and birds? What does it entail? I have just put down some fresh salmon to see what he thinks, surprisingly he ate a bit and walked away. He's meowing at me now, he has some biccies down so he can have those if he's hungry. Just thought I would try it. Thanks

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello, if i could press you further, if you look here again or if anyone else knows. What would the 'whole prey raw' mean? Sorry if i sound stupid. Would I have to kill animals? What animals would they be? Mice and birds? What does it entail? I have just put down some fresh salmon to see what he thinks, surprisingly he ate a bit and walked away. He's meowing at me now, he has some biccies down so he can have those if he's hungry. Just thought I would try it. Thanks
It's not a stupid question at all. Unless you have looked into raw feeding you would have no way of knowing what it means.

The "whole prey model" as it is common called refers to trying to replicate a cats natural diet as closely as possible. In the extreme that means feeding live mice but most acknowledge that it isn't necessary to go that far. Feeding the unprocessed, whole carcass of an animal is close enough. That means feeding the skin, bones, organs and muscle meat. I don't think it is thought to be necessary to feed the fur or feathers but I may be mistaken.

So basically it means to take a whole carcass, feed into a grinder and give it to them with no need to add anything else. Some say it shouldn't be put through a grinder either. That it is better for their teeth and jaws to gnaw on chunks.

Rabbit, chicken, beef, elk, venison, cornish game hen, lamb are commonly used. Most people avoid fish because it isn't considered part of a cats natural diet.

Since it is more work than I am willing to go into at this point I've looked at whole prey feeding in a superficial kind of way. Others may be able to give a better or more complete explanation.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
High quality grain-free wet for most of my kitties. I have one who will take two or three bites of wet food then head for the dry. If there is no dry food in the dish she sits there and looks pitiful until I give her something. So . . . different diet for special kitty, but still grain-free.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I feed the best wet and dry food possible, while being convienient. I am not going to make raw food for them, and im not home enough to feed them wet three times a day.

If money were no object...

I would hire a butler to feed the cats fresh killed raw meat on crystal platters
That would be great for me, and them!

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If cost was not an issue, iu would feed pre-made raw. I dont remember where, but i do remember one time looking at a business that sold raw food, packaged in meals and frozen, but was basically a whole ground up carcass.

Then again, I would probably feed them wet still once in a while, for greater convenience for babysitters (I'm a traveler, and like making life easier for the babysitters).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

If money were no object...

I would hire a butler to feed the cats fresh killed raw meat on crystal platters
That would be great for me, and them!
Great answer!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would do the live prey if money and ethics were no issue { Zoey has no issue catching and eating her prey but hates predone raw or not really fresh meat( ie 12 hours or less)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

If money was No object, I would probably feed Pre-made Raw. But since it is a object we feed dry with a can of wet a day
same here... altho i do feed a fairly high-quality dry, & supplement the wet w/a homemade mix.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have found a great site that gives advice and recipes. It is reputable also. I am not sure if I can post it on here. I really am going to look into this raw food diet, it makes sense to me. I know it is time consuming in a way but like the lady says, a sick cat is time consuming too. It is expensive, investing in a grinder and supplements, but the meat is comparable with a high rate wet, she compared it to the price of Wellness but we don't get that here, i don't think anyway. I feel so much more aware now. Thanks guys, i think i know which path I should take. Also doing big batches that can be frozen and in pressurised jars is a great idea. If anyone is interested about the site, and if I am allowed to post it i will. Thanks again for all your great advice

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue to feed dry and wet but I would add more wet and variety to the wet.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really am going to look into this raw food diet, it makes sense to me. I know it is time consuming in a way but like the lady says, a sick cat is time consuming too. It is expensive, investing in a grinder and supplements, but the meat is comparable with a high rate wet, she compared it to the price of Wellness but we don't get that here, i don't think anyway.
It doesn't have to be time consuming either. A premade raw food, Nature's Variety for instance, is ready to use and also costs on the order of a premium wet like Wellness. If you don't have easy access to a good premade (don't assume that just because it is raw that it must be good) you can buy ground meats and add bone meal or another calcium supplement as a substitute for bone. You would need to add other supplements as well, of course. That would be more time consuming than a premade but nothing compared to grinding your own meat. One of the foods I feed is ground, organic turkey that I add liver and a premade supplement mix to.

I'm surprised at how many people have responded that they would like to feed raw. I hope you all will look into it. It might not be as time consuming or expensive as you think. I think the hardest part is getting the little monsters to eat it! But I live in a large city and have easy access to lots of premades so I have it easier than some.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the site I found http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm. It seems good to me although I will do more research. She says about supplements. I am aware that the initial costs will be high, my kitty will prob be getting a mincer/grinder for christmas!!! Bless him. I think it will be worth it and financially I don't think there will be a massive difference to what I am spending now. Organic may not be a viable option as mega expensive, we don't even eat organic so he's with us on this one. The freezing and jar option is great as that way i can do a big batch like this lady does. Great for when I go away too. Freezing in ice cubes is good for kittens, bless. I gave kitty some fresh liver yesterday, he turned his nose up. I then gave him some fresh salmon, he ate that! I will try him with some raw chicken breast tonight as a little extra. I shall introduce it slowly with his normal food until I have got all the kit!!!