Bachs Rescue Remedy and meds

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard alot about Bachs and how it calms tense cats. Now I have a question...
Is it ok to use on cats that are on Prozac? I didn't know what the med was until I googled it and realized I gave my Isis prozac. I was furious since I didn't want her on it. But they gave it to me anyway under a different name.
I took her to the vet because she was scratching and licking until she was raw and bleeding again, so I wanted to see if they'd do a panel or something to see what (if) she was allergic to. Well it turned out that I got the vet I didn't really like, and after the snide remark of "she should be an ONLY cat" I gritted my teeth and asked if he could just do whatever was needed to figure out what she was allergic to. Well stupid me trusted him when he said, let me try something that might help her. When I asked he said some name I wasn't to familiar with and never put 2 and 2 together until I gave her the first pill, then googled it to see what he gave me.What I thought was an antihistamine or antibiotic, turned out to be prozac. So now I want to get her off the prozac since it's not helping, and get her onto the Bachs to see if it'll help, but I don't want to just stop since I don't know what it'll do to her, I want to wean her off it.
So again I ask, is it ok to give her Rescue Remedy with prozac or not???

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call a vet you trust to ask? I would *think* RR would be safe to give with the Prozac, but I think all your questions are best answered by a trusted vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's my problem..The vets around here are mostly "dog" vets. Meaning they'd rather deal with dogs and not cats. I've changed vets already because of problems and now I am in the process of looking for a new vet, but in a small town, that isn't easy...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the feeling. The vet in town is Dr. Stupid....he "forgot" to take all the dog's uterus when he spayed her!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try using Feliway diffusers in your house? They dont have any interactions with meds and are very safe. Ive been using one for months now, all are very happy

Sorry I dont know anything about RR

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're just making a phone call, it wouldn't have to be a vet in your own town you could look up a cat friendly clinic and give them a ring.

I would assume RR is safe, but I'd call first to find out.

superspice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bach's rescue remedy are just flower essences. They have no interactions with anything, be it medications or other natural health products. You have nothing to worry about.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I looked at the ingredients and one of them is alcohol. I just didn't know if that was bad to give to Isis while she is on the prozac. It's day 9 and they gave her a 14 day supply of that junk. I am not going to get anymore because 1. I am angry they had me use it on her in the first place
2. it isn't helping the problem I went there for. She is still scratching until she is bleeding and is still yowling when the other cats come near her. (more so since I put her on that crap)
I just wish they'd have done what I asked them to do in the first place. Help me find out why she is scratching herself and help me find something I can do to help her not to do it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Superspice

Bach's rescue remedy are just flower essences. They have no interactions with anything, be it medications or other natural health products. You have nothing to worry about.
I have to disagree. I certainly am not qualified nor do I know what it could or could not interact with, but I do know that many people do not realize that holistic and natural type products can be dangerous if combined with other medications or herbal products.

To say it is "just flower essences" isn't, IMO, a safe thing to do. Please call a vet that knows about cats even if you have to make it a long-distance call outside your town.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have to disagree. I certainly am not qualified nor do I know what it could or could not interact with, but I do know that many people do not realize that holistic and natural type products can be dangerous if combined with other medications or herbal products.

To say it is "just flower essences" isn't, IMO, a safe thing to do. Please call a vet that knows about cats even if you have to make it a long-distance call outside your town.
I think I will do just that. Isis is just getting worse, not better. I feel terrible and want her off that horrible prozac. Then I'll give her a few weeks to clear it out of her system and then I'll try her on the Bachs..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Exactly - look at what can happen if one takes certain medications with St. John's Wart or grapefruit seed extract.

Supposedly the RR is fine since it's mostly just water, but there actually hasn't been any studies to rule out interactions with other drugs.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Exactly - look at what can happen if one takes certain medications with St. John's Wart or grapefruit seed extract.

Supposedly the RR is fine since it's mostly just water, but there actually hasn't been any studies to rule out interactions with other drugs.
Sounds right to me. Like I said, I think I'm going to clear her system of that horrible drug and then see if she'll take to the Bachs...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isis, update:

I took her off the prozac before they were done. I hated seeing her like she was. It ripped out my heart so I took her off it and now she's getting back to normal. So I think maybe Monday I'll start her on the Bachs and see how she does with that.