TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Please help! My 17 year old cat is...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help! My 17 year old cat is... - Page 2

post #31 of 51
My Casey - who went to the Bridge nearly 2 weeks ago - developed kidney disease too. He was 15. I have read that many cats do not show many symptoms until the kidneys are compromised 70% or so. Cats are very stoic and can hide illness well. He had lost weight, but not much and was drinking a good deal of water, but he always enjoyed water.

Also, kidney disease and hypothyroidism are often found together when the blood tests are done. It can be challenging to decide what to treat first, as the treatment for the thyroid issue can initially (if I remember this correctly) make the kidney disease worse. So my vet opted for the CRF treatment and I gave Casey sub-q fluids at home after he spent a day at the vet's getting fluids through an IV. His levels improved steadily. But, unfortunately, he had other issues that were not immediately apparent.

Good luck; it is hard to see kitties of any age sick, but it is especially tough with the seniors, even though you know it probably is inevitable. That doesn't make it any easier.
post #32 of 51
I was afraid your cat would have that.
My Coco has Kidney disease now and high bp.
Thanks for thinking about Coco.
She is now Neg for Ecoli and done with Baytril.
She started K/D last friday.
The vet said the infection got to her kidneys also.
What is the vet doing for your cat?
Everything you said in your post goes with kidney disease.
Coco had a thyroid test but hers was a little low.
Is your cat getting K/d now?
post #33 of 51
Everything you're saying is accurate, per my vet's handout on this disease. We originally tho't Edgar HAD hyperthyroidism, but when his blood tests indicated negative, i admit i was disappointed, as it was "treatable". Now, in knowing that disease can spawn kidney disease, i guess i'm relieved now that he DIDN'T have it! (It's been such a roller coaster, emotionally) I read where the subq treatments are effective - the vet said she had cats that were on it for years - but the cost! We can't afford that...we truly can't! And I agree, that when the blood counts show otherwise (than okay numbers), then the disease has progressed quite extensively. Can you imagine your little cat's kidneys becoming HARD and SHRIVELING UP in his body?!!! That just kills me! =^..^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGal View Post
My Casey - who went to the Bridge nearly 2 weeks ago - developed kidney disease too. He was 15. I have read that many cats do not show many symptoms until the kidneys are compromised 70% or so. Cats are very stoic and can hide illness well. He had lost weight, but not much and was drinking a good deal of water, but he always enjoyed water.

Also, kidney disease and hypothyroidism are often found together when the blood tests are done. It can be challenging to decide what to treat first, as the treatment for the thyroid issue can initially (if I remember this correctly) make the kidney disease worse. So my vet opted for the CRF treatment and I gave Casey sub-q fluids at home after he spent a day at the vet's getting fluids through an IV. His levels improved steadily. But, unfortunately, he had other issues that were not immediately apparent.

Good luck; it is hard to see kitties of any age sick, but it is especially tough with the seniors, even though you know it probably is inevitable. That doesn't make it any easier.
post #34 of 51
Is k/d kidney dialysis? If so, no...currently (i don't think) Edgar doesn't need dialysis. I think, tho', his kidney failure is in early/mid stages.

The (new) vet has been wonderful! - caring and gentle, both with Edgar AND us! She's given us many options, and it's up to us in which direction to go. As i said in an earlier post, we can't afford too much more, like the on-going subcutaneous treatments. I'm sure with the sterile needles and pouches, etc, that it all adds up!

I'm glad Coco(puff) is now negative for eColi, and I hope she adds meaning to your days for many, many, many more days!

Blessings!

=^..^=
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
I was afraid your cat would have that.
My Coco has Kidney disease now and high bp.
Thanks for thinking about Coco.
She is now Neg for Ecoli and done with Baytril.
She started K/D last friday.
The vet said the infection got to her kidneys also.
What is the vet doing for your cat?
Everything you said in your post goes with kidney disease.
Coco had a thyroid test but hers was a little low.
Is your cat getting K/d now?
post #35 of 51
k/d is hills kidney diet - my vet doesnt stock it, as they normally use Royal Canin prescription diets, and apparently the Royal Canin is more palatable than the Hills. My cat with CRF didn't like RC though, but I did find some on teh internet that she would eat, and Senior food is the next best thing, so she mainly had that. I opted not to go down the med route, and my vet didn't suggest sub-q, although I know enough to have asked if I thought necessary, but for Rosie, it was just giving her some quality of life, not quantity (She came into rescue at the age of 15 and struggled immensely with it, I just wanted her to have one good summer - she also had arthritis that we couldnt do much about as the main anti-inflam for arthritis should be avoided with CRF).
post #36 of 51
Would you like to join the Crf group on yahoo?
They are very helpful.
Do you know his bun?
Coco has a few other problems which made it harder to decide what food for her to be.
I will ask the vet about Royal Canin for kidney.
I used Royal Canin Urinary.C/D and Purina so to see what she would like but now she is on kidney food.
The vet said no sub q's right now and he said come in 3 months unless she acts sick again.
I got Coco purina n/f besides the k/d and believe it or not she likes the k/d better.
My other cats hated it.
I spent over 10 thousand on Stripe when she got Crf but she only lasted a yea and I had to have her pts.
Who thought she would beat brest cancer at age 4 and die from crf at age 11.
Some people do have cats that last for years.
A person in the Crf had a cat with Crf that lasted 12 years.
Here is a link to the group.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...message/207561
post #37 of 51
Quote:
I read where the subq treatments are effective - the vet said she had cats that were on it for years - but the cost! We can't afford that...we truly can't!
You can afford it, really. If your vet won't work with you, you'll need to find one who will. Depending on how often Edgar might (eventually) need sub-q fluids, a bag of fluid may last a week to 10 days. Your vet can show you how to do this yourself at home. PLus, there's no 'car-ride-to-the-vet' stress involved.
If you took Edgar to the vet to have this done, the cost would be horrendous (as we found out with our first CRF kitty years ago). Now, when the need arises, I do the fluids myself. Our vet is amazing, and sells me the fluids at his cost. It's been a couple of years since I've had to buy any, thankfully, but the cost at that time was only $3 a bag. The vet was also kind enough to throw in the delivery set (the tubing) and several needles.
Hopefully, Edgar won't need the sub-q fluids for quite some time yet, but when that day does arrive, it's definitely something both affordable and do-able.
post #38 of 51
...okay, everyone...i'm gonna switch gears here a little...you're NOT gonna believe what i'm gonna ask!...

Without hanging out any "dirty laundry" here, do you find it acceptable to walk in your home, and have the smell of urine knock you down?!!

Please respond honestly! Some of you may have 25 cats in your home. I, on the other hand, have 2, and i practice fastidiousness with the litter box (and everything else, for that matter...)

I'm taking a poll...please be honest!
post #39 of 51
I have 6 cats and I don't get urine smell when I walk in my house. Sometimes their boxes don't last as long as they usually do and I'll get a whiff of urine and I change litter right away. I scoop poop all the time but every once in awhile somebody lays a bomb. I don't like the smell of overwhelming cat urine. If one of my cats was elderly and started to reek up the house I would really work hard to deal with it. I had a 17/18 year old cat that had CRF I rescued her when she was a baby. We gave her sub-q for a year to keep her going, the cost was minimal since the vet showed us how. She didn't smell up the house with urine odor, but for some reason she quit pooping in her litter box. I had to put newspaper out by the litterboxes for her to poop on the newspaper. I cleaned up after her many times a day and would do it again. She put up with me for 18 years and I told her no matter what I would always do the same for her until her little body could no longer sustain life.
post #40 of 51
...noted!...thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
I don't like the smell of overwhelming cat urine.
post #41 of 51
I am not sure what your getting at here. I don't think anybody likes the over powering smell of urine. I also said that if it was my elderly cat I would work hard to deal with it. Please don't qoute one sentence when there was more involved.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
If one of my cats was elderly and started to reek up the house I would really work hard to deal with it. I had a 17/18 year old cat that had CRF I rescued her when she was a baby. We gave her sub-q for a year to keep her going, the cost was minimal since the vet showed us how. She didn't smell up the house with urine odor, but for some reason she quit pooping in her litter box. I had to put newspaper out by the litterboxes for her to poop on the newspaper. I cleaned up after her many times a day and would do it again. She put up with me for 18 years and I told her no matter what I would always do the same for her until her little body could no longer sustain life.
Ditto! These are issues you deal with you have a sick/elderly pet. No offense to anyone, but these are also issues you may have to deal with concerning a sick/elderly relative. If you love & care for someone/something, you will go the extra mile to adapt to the situation.
When my Ms. Willie was about 19 she lost her eyesight. My Mickey decided to terrorize her everytime she was in the litterbox. Her solution was to avoid the litterbox completely. This went on for 2 years, until she died at age 21.
I cleaned up after her, and would not hesitate to do it again. I've also had CRF kitties that required extra cleaning detail. It's just what you do.
post #43 of 51
Well...my 2 or 3 (depending on how many cats I have at the time) litter boxes are in my basement, but my mother swears she smells cat feces when she walks in my house (which is not real often, I might add). My 19-year-old cat did a great job ruining carpets before she died a year ago - maybe that was the problem. But I agree, you deal with it (no matter what your husband and mother say!)
post #44 of 51
I do not have any smell here but I did in my old place with Yoshi before he died.
He peed all over no matter what we tried.
My husband wnated me to get rid of Yoshi but I refused.
I was about to try feliway before he died.
post #45 of 51
...thank you, everyone, for your replies!...i didn't mean to "single out" anyone with the direct quote that i quoted.

I do refuse to give details behind my question, as they're irrelevent to you, the readers. In reading your several replies and the certain conditions that you state and accept, i will offer this detail: how do i clean up urine that i can't get to?...it is in an area where a cat or small dog can fit, but i can't!...i witnessed it (the urination) yesterday morning, and this morning...

Does the urine just "go along with" the sale of my home someday?! If you were looking to buy a home, and it wreaked of urine, would you want to buy it?!!

(I'm prob'ly opening up another can of worms, here... This will invoke interesting reading, i'm sure!... [grin] )
post #46 of 51
i'm confused as to why you can't get to the area where your cat has peed. there are many fantastic products on the market that will take away the smell of urine and you could also try looking up natural methods online.

i am in agreement with everyone else here that we should do all we can for our elderly and/or sick pets. i think abbycats post summed all of that up beautifully.

what are you asking now? why the question regarding the sale of your house?
post #47 of 51
...as clarification to your confusion, the urination is taking place, as i said, where a cat or small dog can crawl under (a heating system in the basement), and i can't fit under it to clean it up, let alone treat it with any sprays or odor-absorbing powders. (It's against the wall and close to the floor). Additionally, I'm also NOT selling the house because of this situation at hand. I live with this notion that there will be an eventual moving day at some point (to live simpler), however, and i'm fearful odors would linger, and i'm the type of individual who puts my best foot forward to present my home in the best way possible - hopefully in move-in condition.

...that's all (my intentions were)...

I do reiterate thanks to everyone for your viewpoints...i asked for them!...thank you for sending them my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
i'm confused as to why you can't get to the area where your cat has peed.
post #48 of 51
[QUOTE...as clarification to your confusion, the urination is taking place, as i said, where a cat or small dog can crawl under (a heating system in the basement), and i can't fit under it to clean it up, let alone treat it with any sprays or odor-absorbing powders. (It's against the wall and close to the floor).][/quote]

Seems to me that if a cat can fit under something so can a mop head. If that won't fit, there's always a long stick with a rag attached. If that won't fit, there are all-natural deodorizers. And lastly, you could close off access to this small area; if you need air circulation use a baby-gate (or 2).

This question has me wondering what's going on with Edgar? Something about these questions has my brain going in a direction I don't like.
post #49 of 51
We just bought a house and no we would not buy a house that stunk from urine.
A few of the ones we looked at did smell and we walked out.
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74 View Post
use a baby-gate (or 2).
...GREAT IDEA!!...it would take several, but yeah, that would work! THANKS! (2 [or 3, or 4] heads are better than one!...)
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74
use a baby-gate (or 2).


...GREAT IDEA!!...it would take several, but yeah, that would work! THANKS! (2 [or 3, or 4] heads are better than one!...)
Small garden fencing or chicken wire would probably work as well and cost a lot less.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Please help! My 17 year old cat is...