I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple weeks ago I told my brother that I would price out the groceries that they lost from the fire/smoke damage. He initially told me he thought it was 9 pages. The list is actually 21 pages!

The list was made by the people who are doing the cleanup of his house. And they didn't bother to group things, so nothing is in order. You are just as likely to find garbage bags on pages with jello and potatoes, as you are to find bread on the pages of meats or cereal. It's just a complete hodge podge of things written down. The spices are scattered around 5 or 6 different pages, rice and pasta over about 5 and I think I found Jello on 4 different pages.

Last week Sunday I spent 4.5 hours wandering around Safeway getting prices.

I went again today and anticipated being able to finish. But there is so much that I couldn't get it done today and have to go again next weekend.

After 8 hours of pricing I have 13 finished pages. And 3 pages that require 1 or 2 items to be priced.

Next week when I go it's mostly pricing out fresh produce (which requires me weighing stuff), dairy, and meats, plus their pharmacy stuff.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoir brothers house burnt down??!! Holy *bad word* I am glad all are OK, I hope, and you are helping them!! kudos to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Yoir brothers house burnt down??!! Holy *bad word* I am glad all are OK, I hope, and you are helping them!! kudos to you!
No, not burned down. The fire was contained to an area in the basement where the laundry room is. But the smoke damage is extensive. Everything from wiring to plumbing and wall insulation throughout the whole house needs to be replaced. All of their appliances, furniture, dry wall, flooring...everything. All of their food was thrown out, including frozen things and canned goods because of the smoke damage.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you go to the Safeway website and do the home shopping thing, and get prices from there (without buying)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Can you go to the Safeway website and do the home shopping thing, and get prices from there (without buying)?
I wish. We don't have that service here

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but could you call the safeway 800 number (I'm sure they have them....almost every big business does), explain the circumstance and see if you can fax them a list of things you need prices for? Or, you may even see if you can do that with your local store. They should be able to look up the prices for you on their data base much quicker than you walking around in every aisle. It's worth a shot. The worst they can say is no.