moving makes unhappy kitties =(

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
amazing how just the mere appearance of boxes is enough to tell kitties something's happening. we've barely packed anything, and they're all freaking out. despite three clean litter boxes, at least one cat has begun to purposefully relieve himself on the floor of our bathroom. (the litter boxes are kept in the other bathroom.) we've seen onyx walk into the bathroom and take a squat right in front of us; no idea if sid and zoe are partaking in this protest, but i wouldn't be surprised. they've also become very clingy and even more demanding of attention than usual. my hubby and i are very, very concerned... we'd planned already on bringing them (with food, water, and a litter box!) over to the new house with us to explore it while we move things in, and then bringing them back home with us at night, lather, rinse, repeat... so that when we bring them to the house and then stay, they won't be so freaked out. we're wondering now, though, if that will just freak them out even more. we're also terrified they're going to do bad, bad things to the new carpet, what with the recent potty behavior.

so, uh, help???!?!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just moved last July.
Put the cats in one room by themselves.
Two of my cats were very scared when we moved but are fine now.
They have never once gone on the floor.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider getting some Feliway diffusers and putting them in the new house as soon as you get the keys, even before moving anything in. Maybe some diffusers in the old house might not be a bad idea either. And, I've also read that keeping them in one room, with food and litter boxes, before letting them to explore the new house, is a good idea.

It's got to be hard - they hate change, no doubt they're picking up on your stress, even if it's happy stress in moving, and they're trying to tell you they're scared. I guess all you can do is keep telling them you love them, that they're going with you, and that everything will be ok. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah, as i started noticing their distress, i put comfort zone on my shopping list ^_^ i guess we will just put them in one of the bedrooms together instead of letting them wander... though, if i know zoe, she'll yell and scream until we let her out lol

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sprayed the blankets and the inside of their carriers with feliway about 15 minutes before the journey, then as soon as we got to the new house i plugged the diffuser in the spare room, opened their carrier doors and closed the door until the removal men left. Then when i opened their door and they came down to explore, only Sophie stayed in her carrier for 8 hours, but the evening she was fine
I sprayed all the rooms and the stairscase with feliway as well.

I remember for the first few days i would be upstairs and Rosie would cry downstairs, but i would pop my head over the rail and tell her i was here, then she'd come running up

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so, would ya'll recommend not taking them to the house with us until the day we move ourselves over there?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only speak for myself, but i couldn't leave them in a strange house overnight when i wasn't there
Moving is a stressful time for both animals and humans, but i think it would be more so for them

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I'm thinking taking them to the new house, then back to the old house, might be a little bit too much change on top of all the moving stuff, but I don't know for sure.

Hey, what about making sure you leave a few nice sweaty 'move' tee shirts in their new room once you're in the new house - so that they definitely smell you there even as you're unpacking the rest of the house. And maybe some of their favorite toys and cat trees, if you have them?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldnt move them back and forth either, I think that would really stress them. Also, stay as calm as you can for them because they can sense your stress, as well.

Good Luck, I have moved with Easy 3 times and the rest twice. I use the Feliway and you can also get the rescue remedy to put on their paws and ears. With that, mine were all settled within a few hours.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rest assured, rosie, i certainly wasn't talking about taking them over there and LEAVING them lol

some of the first things we're moving over first are one of their litter boxes, some food and water, and a cat tree or two. there's a large screened porch next to the front door we're going to add a second layer of screening to on the inside so that it will be more kitty-resistant; we were planning on letting them prowl around in there with their favorite kitty throne in the corner while we moved things in and around the rest of the house. there are only two rooms that fully close, aside from bathrooms, and we really didn't want to isolate them in a strange, empty room on the second floor while we did stuff.

they generally take care rides pretty well, only sometimes freaking out for the first couple of minutes before calming down. the house is barely five minutes away... i'm debating trying the travel thing maybe one day and seeing how they handle it.... i really just don't know. they get even more stressed out by us coming and going for long periods of time. v.v

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SiddyMeowmy

we really didn't want to isolate them in a strange, empty room on the second floor while we did stuff.
That would actually work our better. Because cats are so territorial, the move with the new smells and sounds will scare them while they adjust. The more quiet and away from commotion the better, while they are adjusting.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hubby and i have discussed it and have decided to go with the general concensus of leaving the cats here until we're ready to move ourselves over there. we're still worried as heck, and know how much they hate being confined to a single room, but we'll go with the experienced experts.

the more pressing concern though, is onyx. he continues to poo freely all over our bathroom floor. this is clearly a concientious protest, as he will walk all the way across the house (as in, from pretty much their bathroom) to ours to do his business. he did it several times tonight, once when my husband was standing right there in the bathroom. we've tried closing the bathroom door, but he just pops a squat on our bedroom floor instead. i'm going out of my mind, and my husband is ready to drop-kick him. (not literally, but you get the gist.) we seriously can't take much more of this >_<

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we haven't even changed anything yet! we don't even have the keys to the new house yet, and therefor have barely moved anything. i packed up one bookcase worth of books a few days ago, that's it. they've taken to sleeping on top of the small stack of boxes, and as usual, think that it's a new scratching post. that's seriously it. the only thing that's changed is my husband is stressing about the move, but stress is a normal aura in this house

i just feel bad, because the real hellacious stuff hasn't even started yet, and they're already freaking out.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many litter boxes to you have? I know one of mine started doing that and all I had to do is add more boxes and it instantly solved the problem. Even after never having ZERO issues with it before then. It was an issue that just came on suddendly.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
three, and they're all clean as a whistle. i'm too much of a neat-freak to let them collect more than a couple visits. as far as i can tell, he uses them for his other business. it's only his little presents he seems to like to leave for us. =/

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

three, and they're all clean as a whistle. i'm too much of a neat-freak to let them collect more than a couple visits. as far as i can tell, he uses them for his other business. it's only his little presents he seems to like to leave for us. =/
Thats what mine did, too. Maybe you could add one more just to see. He may want one all to himself.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd add one more too - and maybe try Cat Attract litter. And, honestly, I think I'd call the vet as well, in case you may need to have a check-up done - stress can activate all sorts of physical problems for cats. And, moving is very stressful for humans - he might be picking up on your stress levels right now, which are probably pretty high, over and above the normal level, just with all the routine hassles of moving.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they're probably all due for a check-up, anyway.... it's been a while. i did think the start checking his droppings when i was throwing them away, to make sure there wasn't anything wiggling around in there and making him uncomfortable.

*adds fourth litter box to her shopping list*

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hubby and i have discussed it and have decided to go with the general concensus of leaving the cats here until we're ready to move ourselves over there.
That's the best thing to do, because their in their own home even though they'll hear the noise of the furniture being moved out. Then once in the new house, wait until everything has been loaded into the house and removal men have gone before you let them roam around to explore.