What "old movies" do you love?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "Casablanca" thread got me thinking about old movies and my favorites. Now, by "old" I'm talking mid 60's or earlier (so if anyone mentions Dirty Dancing I'll have to
)

My favorites:

"Gone With The Wind". I've watched the movie (and read the book) so many times I can say the words line for line complete with accent!

"It Happened One Night" (ok, I have a thing for Clark Gable)

"Bringing up Baby"

"The Bell's of St Mary's"

Basically any older musical, "Sound of Music", "The King and I", "White Christmas", "My Fair Lady" etc

So, what are yours?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a sucker for old musicals (The Music Man is a favorite). If you haven't seen them, check out "Royal Wedding." Old romantic comedies are fun, too. See "Roman Holiday."

And I like the old Hope/Crosby road movies, stuff like that.

And one of the all-time greats, "An Affair to Remember." We've cruised twice on the ship used in that movie. It has since sunk (under tow on its way to Asia to be cut up).

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - I can't believe that you like "It Happened One Night!" It is one of my favorites, especially the hitch hiking scene.

My favorites of the black and white genre are "Laura" with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. Who can resist the haunting tune and Vincent Price as a Gigolo as well as Tierney and Andrews in a love story?

My second favorite is "Hold That Ghost" with Abbot and Costello and Joan Davis.

Ferdie: (Costello) When I said gone with the wind, I should've said never the twain shall meet.
Camille: (Joan Davis) What twain?
Ferdie: The twain on **** twee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

OMG - I can't believe that you like "It Happened One Night!" It is one of my favorites, especially the hitch hiking scene.
"It's all in the thumb...", ummmm no, it's all in the leg!
Lord, it's been years since I've seen that movie, but that is so funny!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my favorites are:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Farewell To The King
Barbarosa
Kitten With A Whip
The Wild Bunch
Easy Rider
All of the Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello beach movies

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

All of the Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello beach movies
Would you be impressed if I told you I have an acquaintance who was in a bunch of those movies? Always played a stupid thug.

Norm Grabowski. I know him from our hot rod club; he built the most famous T bucket, used in 77 Sunset Strip.

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great thread!

I love all of the old black & white movies!

I love anything with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, the Marx Brothers and Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers. I also enjoy movies with Bette Davis and Greer Garson.

Some favorite movies: Holiday, The Philadelphia Story, Arsenic and Old Lace, Dark Victory, It Happened One Night, Pride and Prejudice, It's a Wonderful Life, The Magnificent Seven.

Jaffacake: I love the Carry On movies too! But it's been so long since they have played any on TV...

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the old horror movies with Bela Lugosi, and Lon Chaney, the old Abbott and Costello movies, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and West Side Story to name a few!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Philadelphia Story is hilarious!

I used to love watching old movies on TV, but now with so many channels, it's rare to find them. It used to be a treat to come across an old favorite by surprise, and stay up late to watch it.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh good thread!! Well Im a huge fan of old movies, in fact its pretty much all I watch
It Happened One Night is one of my favorites for sure!
I love Fred & Ginger, Top Hat is my favorite of theirs
Roman Holiday
The Divorce of Lady X is a really good one too
gosh, I could go oooon and on. The Thin Man set is great, The Awful Truth, Singin in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, Heaven Knows, Mr Alison, Night Nurse...Ok, Ill stop now..
James Stewart, Cary Grant, Paul Henreid, both of the Hepburns, Robert Mitchum, Barbara Stanwyck, Myrna Loy...no really, Ill stop before I've listed my entire movie collection

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh! Great thread!

Some of my favorites have already been listed........but one that goes on my "10 most favorite movies of all time" list is The Ghost And Mrs. Muir with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. So romantic, with beautiful, haunting music by Bernard Hermann.....a wonderful script and terrific performances all around.

*sigh* I think I need to buy that movie.

Also, around Christmas, I have my favorite movies that I must watch:

White Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Ooh! Great thread!

Some of my favorites have already been listed........but one that goes on my "10 most favorite movies of all time" list is The Ghost And Mrs. Muir with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. So romantic, with beautiful, haunting music by Bernard Hermann.....a wonderful script and terrific performances all around.

*sigh* I think I need to buy that movie.

Also, around Christmas, I have my favorite movies that I must watch:

White Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life!
I forgot about "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"! I remember when mom first had me watch it. I was afraid to because I thought it was going to be scary, but I loved it. It is such a romantic movie.

And, what Christmas is complete without "White Christmas" or "It's a Wonderful Life". To this day both make me cry. Oh, and don't forget "Holiday Inn" too!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I forgot about "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"! I remember when mom first had me watch it. I was afraid to because I thought it was going to be scary, but I loved it. It is such a romantic movie.

And, what Christmas is complete without "White Christmas" or "It's a Wonderful Life". To this day both make me cry. Oh, and don't forget "Holiday Inn" too!
I have The Ghost and Mrs Muir, I should watch it again, its been a while!
I never really thought Holiday Inn was so great, Christmas in Connecticut was kind of a fun one though!