What could this be?

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the last two-three weeks I have woken up with what feels like a cold. I have a real stuffed up head and sometimes a cough. I have gone through 3 boxes of tissues in the last 2 weeks and it feels like I still don't get everything out. It lasts for about the first hour or two of me being awake and then it goes away. I go outside to walk to class and I'm fine so I don't think its any outdoor allergies, but it can't be indoor because I only suffer with it in the morning and then at night I'm fine.

I have had similar symptoms for about 2 years, ever since I got my lap band, and the doctor said that its a normal side effect of that but couldn't explain why, but it is definatly much worse than it has ever been and its driving me up a wall. I've blown my nose about 30 times since I started writing this.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be lack of adrenlin? I usually wake up dizzy, out of sorts, and with a runny nose. My doc tells me that is normal, its the lack of adrenalin while I am sleeping. I may get a differednt doc, that just doesn't seem right.
Have you changed your bedding, or using a different detergent? Any new animals in the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, no, and no. I washed the sheets about 3-4 weeks ago but i use the same bedding and its just me and Tomnus in the apartment.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fall, when pollen is high again. It could be that.

Or it could be something in the house.

It could even be Tomnus.

Or it could be you're getting older.

Need any more wild guesses?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Do you change your bedding every 3-4 weeks?
yeah thats nothing new, its getting done today I think, I just need to get the ambition to go to the laundramat later today after the Packers play. Like always its gotten much better in the hour I've been up...its just driving me nuts what this could be and why it only lasts about an hour

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am reminded of the Dilbert cartoon in which Wally says he never washes his towels. "After all, after a shower, I'm the cleanest thing in the house. They should be getting cleaner every day!"

"Oh, and by the way, I forget...aren't towels supposed to bend?"

Bachelors. That's why we get married: To civilize us!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

yeah nothing new, its getting done today I think, I just need to get the ambition to go to the laundramat later today after the Packers play.
Do you only have one set of bedding as well?. In 3-4 weeks you've shed a lot of skin on the sheets, not to mention sweating
And if you've got pimples, theres the answer to your problem

Bedding should really be changed once a week.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But it may not be allergies, either. Your sinuses, etc., just don't drain at night like they do during the day. It can take a while for that to clear up in the morning. I've experienced that in the past.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your sinuses are draining in the morning. That could be what is making you cough, especially if it starts clearing up after you've been up for a while. I have that problem, but I also damaged my sinuses while scuba diving. Best thing I've found to help is Advil cold and sinus. It's the kind you have to show ID for because of what it contains but it's not prescription. It really helps me, but check with a doctor to make sure you can take it. Not sure if it will sit well if you had surgery. I know there are somethings that shouldn't be ingested.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be washing your sheets and pillow cases at least every 2 weeks, if not every week. And wash them in hot water so that the dust mites are killed.

Try investing in new pillows. A pillow's life span should only be 6 months. After 6 months, 50% of the pillows weight is dead skin and dust mites. Gross I know, but true

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have some ideas, fill me in on what you current diet is, a typical day including snacks.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You should be washing your sheets and pillow cases at least every 2 weeks, if not every week. And wash them in hot water so that the dust mites are killed.

Try investing in new pillows. A pillow's life span should only be 6 months. After 6 months, 50% of the pillows weight is dead skin and dust mites. Gross I know, but true
SERIOUSLY???????

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should make sure you wash the mattress pad and vaccum the mattress and rotate it and flip it over (vaccum again too).
My head is stuffed up in the morning too with headaches. Are you drinking enough water??

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could is be asthma/resp problems

I say that because , i have asthma and it started with me going to sleep at night and feeling like i had could / cough then again when i woke up throughout the day i was fine, and the docs said its common for have that as symtpons
Jess x