Foster cat is learning, and i'm not sure I'm happy about it

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I put the foster cat and her kittens in the walk in closet in my bedroom so they'd be safe. it's worked out really well. I cut an opening in a big box and lined it with clean t-shirts i don't use anymore.

Mom has been getting familiar with the new life of being indoors. She's a stray. She's learning slowly how to trust people, but she's always been extremely affectionate towards me so it's not like it's a hard conversion.

But since I sleep in that room too, she has figured out that if she wakes me up I'll get some more food for her. Since she's nursing i'm feeding her as much pouch food as she wants. If I'm asleep, she'll do two things.

1. Jump on the bed, meowing like crazy of course. if i don't get up, she walks over my head. Placing all 4 feet on the side of my face.
2. if number 1 doesn't work, and I'm sleeping on my side, she climbs up my side and lays on my shoulder staring down at my face, and kneading my shoulder. well actually it's between my shoulder and neck. Either way it is excruciating.

So she's learning, and I don't like it!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats hilarious!!!

I was just telling my Mother today that my cats will walk across my face when I am asleep, like its part of the bed or something, we cracked up laughing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually pretty cute, but very irritating when you're in bed. lol.

The other thing she does is site about 2 feet from my face and just STARE at me. i'll try to peak out of my eyes just a tiny bit and there she is. staring away.

sigh...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, when you get up to feed her, you're teaching her, too!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

It's actually pretty cute, but very irritating when you're in bed. lol.

The other thing she does is site about 2 feet from my face and just STARE at me. i'll try to peak out of my eyes just a tiny bit and there she is. staring away.

sigh...
Ah, yes, the staring wake up. Been there many a time. One cat would start pulling my hair.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I figured out what her problem was. she started distancing herself from me. But what was really happening is she just didn't want to be too far from the babies. I didn't think that was it because my bed is only about 15 feet from the box and she can see it. But I turned my tv a little, threw some pillows against the wall in the closet and went in there to sit with her. She instantly came around. Even playing with my hand which is the first time she's played with ANYTHING. Won't eat catnip, ignores laser light, ignores fuzzy balls, etc.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger does that too! She also has learned to turn on the radio/alarm clock!
What an annoyance she can be when you're just trying to get 15 more minutes sleep!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't you leave her out some dry food during the night so she'll have something to nibble on and leave you alone?

My babies generally leave me alone.
They know their Meowmy's not a morning person, and needs her beauty rest.

But as soon as I get up in the morning, I'm tripping over cats!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man you've got to be kidding! she's a food machine! i leave dry out 24/7. And she plows through as many cans of wet food I'll put out. i'm not kidding. I know she would eat 7 cans a day if I'd put that much out.

If she runs out (she doesn't just chow it all, she nibbles it constantly) during the night she will sit by the dish and meow until I refill it

She's got me trained well

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh man you've got to be kidding! she's a food machine! i leave dry out 24/7. And she plows through as many cans of wet food I'll put out. i'm not kidding. I know she would eat 7 cans a day if I'd put that much out.

If she runs out (she doesn't just chow it all, she nibbles it constantly) during the night she will sit by the dish and meow until I refill it

She's got me trained well
Well, she's feeding more than one! She has to be a little piggy! Oink, oink!

Us, trained??

Remember: dogs have masters - cats have staff.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Awww she's probably never been used to regular meals so she's making the most of it just incase she goes back to square one
We know she won't, but she won't think that