Shadow goes to sea!

knottybuoyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well not the ocean kind of sea, just a summer trip (2005) on "her" boat (KnottyBuoyz II) along the Rideau Canal. This was our first long distance (and time: 2+ weeks) trip on the boat and Shadow's first extended trip (more than an hour or two).

She was intent on getting off the boat any chance she could. We knew this would likely be a problem so we kept her in a harnass and tether.

This was our first stop along the way.... Shadow was allowed shore leave to explore a little bit (well the limit of her tether 50' or so).

Everyone on the boat has a job. Whether it's cooking, cleaning, driving (and fixing) the boat there are also "watchkeeper" duties. As you can see Shadow filled this role wonderfully keeping all those yappy pooches away from "her" boat.

Well some might say that keeping watch isn't that hard but when the people are sleeping and you have to keep an ever vigilant guard over them it can be exhausting...

Watchkeeping isn't always limited to the boat. There are shoreside duties as well...

When underway there's nothing much to do but relax and enjoy the ride!...

This is one of my favorites. Who says cats don't have facial expressions! I think she spotted a pooch on the lock wall and was starin' him down! Hah!

Lemme go! Lemme go! There's a fish down there! Lemme go!

I think our camera pooped out after that or there wasn't much else happening on the trip. Shadow did manage to get a good dunking in Perth Ontario when she made a leap for freedom only to be restrained by the tether. She wiggled out of her harnass and ended up in the drink. She can swim and swim well except the twit swam under the swim platform on the back of the boat. We eventually fished her out and have the scars to prove it! She's a lot more relaxed on the boat now and just enjoys the ride.

I'll post pics of the next years trip which there were some interesting encounters with pooches on the dock!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful that kitty gets to enjoy the family holiday too! I bet she had lots of adventures, and got a lot of attention from the other boaters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knottybuoyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

That's wonderful that kitty gets to enjoy the family holiday too! I bet she had lots of adventures, and got a lot of attention from the other boaters.
It'll take me awhile to put together Shadow's adventure in 2006. We did a complete loop around Eastern Ontario (Kingston to Ottawa to Montreal) commonly referred to as the "Golden Triangle Route" amongst boaters. It was over 660 kms total.

In fact we were known as the boat with the "cat" and "solar panels" for some reason!

Actually this picture, which some of you might have already seen is from the 2006 vacation.

This is one of a series that we submitted to The Ottawa Sun newspaper and was featured on their "photo of the day" special edition. That's Mr. Jingles (Shadow's favorite toy 'cause his butt is stuffed w/catnip).