*****KatKwery! - Sep 27 - Down to the wire!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned that I had not heard from luvmycat1 yesterday. Those of you that play every day probably noted that she had not played in a while and I am sad to inform you she will not be in the playoffs. Sad because she had held first place for most of the race and was a spirited competitor. We will miss you, luvmycat1!

First the winners and the crucial impact this has on the standings with only four days to go. BelongsToEvie used the word information while Kluchetta used thought. Yam102284 used change. And now for the remarkable event. GoldyCat has won again, using the word some, to move into a fight with Monaxlisa for the one remaining slot in the playoffs!
Not used was need.

Only the top three positions are solidified. Finishing fourth guarantees you the first round advantage, and that position is up for grabs. All in all, this one is going down to the wire, only the top three can afford to sit back and watch.

Today's KatKwiz was about reporting spam.

The last time this question was used, a surprising amount of people did not know what that little "dealybob" was; how about you? Have you actually clicked on it? How did you happen to find out about it? KatKwiz has pointed out many hotspots like this that reveal a message when you do a mouse over on them; have you found any on your own? Less than one week from right now the playoffs will have started; do you care who your opponent is?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

The last time this question was used, a surprising amount of people did not know what that little "dealybob" was; how about you? Have you actually clicked on it? How did you happen to find out about it? KatKwiz has pointed out many hotspots like this that reveal a message when you do a mouse over on them; have you found any on your own? Less than one week from right now the playoffs will have started; do you care who your opponent is?
I didn't get a chance to read the KatKwiz before just now, but I did know that little triangle sign thingy was there, and I have moused over it before...when you were hinting about "hidden" bits of information around TCS. So I knew that it was there, and I knew it was used to report posts. Now, if I'd been answering today's Kwiz, would I have answered correctly? Who knows!

I did find alot of those little "hotspots" as you call them when I first started getting into the Cat Site. I have moused over just about every icon I could find, just to see what they all were there for. I don't remember much of it now, but at least I know that if I look for something hard enough, I'll probably find a way to get there!

As I said before, I feel so out of the loop since I haven't played in a while. I haven't paid any attention to the standings or to who has been on a winning streak lately or anything like that. So, I guess it doesn't matter that much who I'm up against. I'm just going to participate for the sheer fun of it at this point, and if I don't make it past the first round, that's fine with me!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you

I knew what the "dealybob" was. I've used it a couple times to report the spam, although the mods do a really good job at removing it all before someone might see it. I think I found out what it was just by moving my mouse over different areas on the forums to see what they were for. I've done that a lot on here since KatKwiz began because you never know what you can find out. I think that one may be the only one that I've found on my own but I'm always looking for more.

As for KatKwery playoffs, I don't think I will mind who my opponent is. Even if I am playing against one of the leaders, it's still a game of luck to whoever can get the most secret words.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time this question was used, a surprising amount of people did not know what that little "dealybob" was; how about you? I already knew what that "dealybob" was, that is how I knew what to answer. Every forum I have ever gone to had an area to report the the post if it violated the site rules

Have you actually clicked on it? No, since I haven't had any reason to click on it. I haven't come across a post that required it.

How did you happen to find out about it? As I said, every site has some way of reporting. I just moused over it.

KatKwiz has pointed out many hotspots like this that reveal a message when you do a mouse over on them; have you found any on your own? I haven't really looked but I do know if you mouse over the quote at the bottom of each post, it will tell you that is the way to use multiple quotes in your post

Less than one week from right now the playoffs will have started; do you care who your opponent is? I haven't really thought about who my opponent is going to be. I am just happy to be in the playoffs. I am just sorry that luvmycat1 had to drop out. She would have been a worthy opponent.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
More points? Yikes! I don't know whether I should thank you or not.
This is getting scary. So, assuming it works the same as the seed positions, if monaxlisa and I end up tied for eighth place she will be in the playoff because she got there first. Either way, one of us will be pitted against marianjela in the first round.
Darn! This is turning into a lot of work. (
marianjela. I'm not really afraid of you.)

The last time this question was used, a surprising amount of people did not know what that little "dealybob" was; how about you?
Actually I did know what the triangle thingie was, just couldn't find it when I was in a hurry to answer KatKwiz this morning.

Have you actually clicked on it?
No, although there was a time not too long ago when I should have. I was cruising the boards in the middle of the night at work (I was all caught up with my work) and saw a new post that looked like it might be interesting, according to the title. It turned out that it was someone advertising their website selling sports equipment. The person had obviously joined TCS specifically for that purpose since it was his/her first post. I shot back a response basically asking what it had to do with cats. The next day I got thinking I should have reported it to one of the mods. When I went looking for it again, the thread had disappeared. I am fairly confident that somebody else caught it and reported it, or the mods came across it themselves.

How did you happen to find out about it?
Not sure. I thought I had read it in the list of rules under one of the stickies in the New Cats on the Block forum. However, I went back to double check and found that the rules only say you should report abuses to one of the moderators, but does not indicate how to reach the mods. So I'm guessing I probably discovered it more or less by accident when I moused over it.

KatKwiz has pointed out many hotspots like this that reveal a message when you do a mouse over on them; have you found any on your own?
Yes, there is one at the lower edge of each post in between the "quote" and "quick reply" buttons. It looks like a piece of note paper with the second half of a set of quotation marks and a plus sign. When I mouse over it, it tells me it will "multi-quote this message". Unfortunately, it does not appear to do anything when I click on it. When I want to do multiple quotes in a single post, I usually end up doing a lot of copy>cut>paste. It may be that my computer and browser don't support whatever function the button is supposed to initiate. I'm on a Mac using Firefox, and I've found that a lot of websites don't work exactly as intended.

Less than one week from right now the playoffs will have started; do you care who your opponent is?

I was kidding when I said I didn't want to go up against marianjela. I don't think it really matters. We all start out on equal footing. I know that I have a very large vocabulary, although that could work to my disadvantage. Sometimes I tend to overcomplicate things.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

yes, i've used it several times - to report spam/advertising, harassing posts, etc. i can't remember how i found out about it - might've been from the Kwiz... but i think a moderator told me about it - i'd sent a PM regarding something i was concerned about. i've never found any 'mouse-over' spots except for the ones you've pointed out - but, then, i don't really go 'looking' for them
as far as the playoffs are concerned, i don't really care who my opponent is - the fact that luvmycat1 has dropped out works to my benefit, since she was seeded above me. but, to me, the contest's just for fun, so it's really not that important to me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Yes, there is one at the lower edge of each post in between the "quote" and "quick reply" buttons. It looks like a piece of note paper with the second half of a set of quotation marks and a plus sign. When I mouse over it, it tells me it will "multi-quote this message". Unfortunately, it does not appear to do anything when I click on it.
this is how you do it [using mac & firefox!]. click on as many posts as you wish to multi-quote, then, on the final one, also click on the quote choice. that'll take you to a new screen where all of the posts you wished to quote show. then simply add your replies.
i multi-quoted the below in this manner, using my mac & the firefox browser:
Originally Posted by thecanopener

Can I count on you to nit-pick my posts from this point on?
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Not at all. I'm just trying to figure out the significance of kool-aid in this discussion.
Originally Posted by thecanopener

Right.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

I didn't get a chance to read the KatKwiz before just now
Originally Posted by yam102284

Thank you

More points? Yikes! I don't know whether I should thank you or not.
KatKwiz has pointed out many hotspots like this that reveal a message when you do a mouse over on them; have you found any on your own?
Yes, there is one at the lower edge of each post in between the "quote" and "quick reply" buttons. It looks like a piece of note paper with the second half of a set of quotation marks and a plus sign. When I mouse over it, it tells me it will "multi-quote this message". Unfortunately, it does not appear to do anything when I click on it. When I want to do multiple quotes in a single post, I usually end up doing a lot of copy>cut>paste. It may be that my computer and browser don't support whatever function the button is supposed to initiate. I'm on a Mac using Firefox, and I've found that a lot of websites don't work exactly as intended.
Originally Posted by laureen227

yes, i've used it several times

this is how you do it [using mac & firefox!]. click on as many posts as you wish to multi-quote, then, on the final one, also click on the quote choice. that'll take you to a new screen where all of the posts you wished to quote show. then simply add your replies.
i multi-quoted the below in this manner, using my mac & the firefox browser:
Wow! Thanks. Just had to try it out. This will certainly make my life easier.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

this is how you do it [using mac & firefox!].
Originally Posted by Catkiki

No, since I haven't had any reason to click on it. I haven't come across a post that required it.

Wow! Thanks. Just had to try it out. This will certainly make my life easier.
Sweet! Thank you!!!! I didnt know that's how that was done. LOVE IT.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Ooooh! Guess what! I just got to use that cute little dealybob. I saw another ad (for Nikes) in the Health and Nutrition forum. Well, actually the same ad, but last time it was in the Behavior forum. I logged on just three minutes after it was posted and immediately sent a message to the mods via the triangle !