What toy does your cat like most?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad for my cat, he's so playful and keeps trying to pounce of tess's tail, tess of of course turns around, swaps at him and hisses (which I understand, tess is about 8 years now, compaired to his 7 months) I try to play with him, but there is only so much I can do, even moreso when I'm gone.

I have alittle money left over from my grant, not a ton but I would like to get him a toy for him to enjoy while I'm gone. Has anyone found a toy their cat loves thats under $50? (he doesn't seem to have any desire to watch tv)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most common cat toy in the U.S., and one of the most popular, is the ring off the top of a milk jug. A paper bag is right in there, too. A ball of paper is high on the list.

There are interactive toys that cats enjoy, but they really aren't needed, if you're short on cash. I think the fanciest cat toy our cats ever had when I was growing up was the occasional catnip mouse.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the all time favorite for our house is the ring off a milk jug(usually that one has to be supervised though, or else it will be chewed apart in a matter of minutes) or even a couple of bendy straws laying on the floor. A piece of string is an all time favorite as well.

We rarely spend too much on cat toys(except at christmas of course) and we usually play with them with things around the house. But, if you want to buy something for them that is guaranteed to last a long time despite heavy play (tried and tested by my own personal kitty tester, who manages to destroy most toys in record times, usually under 2 minutes), try getting yourself a cat dancer.

http://catdancer.com/catdancer.htm

its now my favorite toy for them, because just one with two super active kitties continuously playing with it still takes months for it to disintegrate. They will even play with it when I forget it lying on the floor
Also, it is very cheap which is a huge plus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kernil

the all time favorite for our house is the ring off a milk jug(usually that one has to be supervised though, or else it will be chewed apart in a matter of minutes) or even a couple of bendy straws laying on the floor. A piece of string is an all time favorite as well.

We rarely spend too much on cat toys(except at christmas of course) and we usually play with them with things around the house. But, if you want to buy something for them that is guaranteed to last a long time despite heavy play (tried and tested by my own personal kitty tester, who manages to destroy most toys in record times, usually under 2 minutes), try getting yourself a cat dancer.

http://catdancer.com/catdancer.htm

its now my favorite toy for them, because just one with two super active kitties continuously playing with it still takes months for it to disintegrate. They will even play with it when I forget it lying on the floor
Also, it is very cheap which is a huge plus.
I'm sorry, I looked at the link and I couldn't quite tell if the "cat dancer" was one you played with your cat with or one you left up for them to play with while you were gone? I tried going back but the site crashed on me...

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The most common cat toy in the U.S., and one of the most popular, is the ring off the top of a milk jug. A paper bag is right in there, too. A ball of paper is high on the list.

There are interactive toys that cats enjoy, but they really aren't needed, if you're short on cash. I think the fanciest cat toy our cats ever had when I was growing up was the occasional catnip mouse.
The milk rings are very popular in this house! Another good toy is the miniature Hartz mouses that come in a pack of 5. Those things must be loaded with catnip, because cats go crazy over them. Of course the laser pointer is good too....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common cat toy in the U.S., and one of the most popular, is the ring off the top of a milk jug

And it doesn't cost a penny, either.
They also love playing with a pen or pencil for some odd reason..

Laser pointers aren't very expensive, and provide plenty of exercise for the cats, and loads of laughs for the "owners"!

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My little one (not so little anymore...) loves to play with milk jug rings, rolled up paper balls and bottle caps. And as for fancy toys, it has to be the Cat Dancer! Da Bird comes a close second. She's also crazy for her dangling log leg mouse (which is suppose to be a door knob toy) but she carries it with her everywhere and tries to hide it all the time!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby really loves her furry mice. She really likes red or white ones. She also has a pair of rolled up socks that she is very attached to. She started carrying them around when she was 4 months old and to this day she still does it, with the same pair of socks. She doesn't play with them, or snuggle with them, she just carries them from one room to the room I'm in, while meowing. Then drops them near me and rubs up against my leg. I think it's her way of announcing herself. But then again she will leave a good cuddle session to go into another room and bring back the socks, and she gets lost on the way back so I have to call her.

She also loves her feather wand that has soft fluffy feathers and a few strangs of foil strips at the end. She also likes Da Bird, but she isn't gung ho about the heavy long feathers. She doesn't jump up and try to catch the feathers, but she will pretend to ignore them, and then pounce on them when they are on the ground. That of course could be related to the fact that she's 10 years old.

Chynna doesn't really have a favourite toy. She does like the lazer pointer. Abby likes it too, but she often figures out where the light is coming from and ends up watching me instead of the light. When she does stay focused on the light, she's a riot though. Chynna is 16 and doesn't run around all that much, preferring instead to cuddle, but she will stalk the lazer pointer especially when it seems to disappear into the baseboard or edge of the carpet.

Both love to play "peek" with things poking out from under things IE: a straw moving under a piece of news paper or poking out on one edge only to vanish again.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a unique one! Clyde's favorite toy is a binder clip I brought home from work.
He's such a dork. He also loves playing with the (unplugged) cords of our curling irons and blow dryers.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Annie's favorite toy is Ginger.
And her own tail - she chases that endlessly!

Mojo's favorite toy is also Ginger. But also sparkle poms and mice, and anything catnip. And Da Bird.

Ginger's favorite toy is anything with catnip, especially anything by Yeoww! At our local rescue's gift shop, they sell triangles toys of Yeoww! catnip filled toys for $3.99. Our car smelled like 'nip for over a week just bringing them home!

Trent's favorite toy is Da Bird. But really anything with Meowmy attached to the other end.
Thankfully, he does play chase with Ginger and Annie too so that burns off his energy.

Ophelia doesn't really play, but sometimes she'll play with a pole toy with us if we really entice her.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the crumpled up paper, Ginger will go insane for that. A box, just a plain ole cardbard one, cats love boxes. Paper bags all good, and quite funny to watch, lol. Anything with a string, shoe laces work well, I can't put on my shoes without a cat attacking them.
The cardboard tubes from TP, a big delight. Ice cubes are fun, just dont walk on the floor with only socks on, lol.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Annie's favorite toy is Ginger.
And her own tail - she chases that endlessly!

Mojo's favorite toy is also Ginger. But also sparkle poms and mice, and anything catnip. And Da Bird.
Ella's favorite toy, of course, is Sterling. She thinks he was invented to entertain her. And he does a good job. I've seen her spend half an hour just chasing his tail from one side of the bench to the other.

I'd feel sorry for him, but he always goes back for more!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Als favourite toys are his little mice, he hides them everywhere and finds them and chases them and fights them, hehe. He loves his balls and brings them back. He loves our feather duster, I came home from work and it had been mauled, blue feathers everywhere and a suspicious looking kitty with blue lips
His scratchy free standing things has toys connected and a little tunnel, he adores it. He loves pens and pencils too, bats them around all over the place. You can find loads of things that are inexpensive for them enjoy. Another one al loves that i think is good is the balls that you put treats in, they run around with them and they have to roll it on a certain point and a treat drops out, keeps him entertained for hours.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the cat dancer is basically a long wire with what I think of as rolls of super tough cardboard on either end, some for you to hold on to and some for kitty to chase and chew.

It was meant to be played with by a person on the other end, but my cats will play with it even if it is on the floor-I have spent many an entertaining hour watching Zorro pounce on one end, but see the other end move on the stiff wire. So he abandons the first one to go to the other end, but sees the first one move right after he pounces, back and forth for ages. We have even figured out to shut the handle end in a drawer, leaving the other end dangling, and he will play with it that way as well(though I blieve you can get them with a wall mount too, though I never tried the wall mount and just got the basic package...)

here it is, in case you want to know what to look for:

another one I forgot to mention as well. Not sure what its called, but basically all it is is a bit of fur glued to the end of a plastic stick. When Zorro was little you would often see him carrying it around, stashing it under couches, washing machines, and beds, waiting to scare mom silly when she puts her hand under there and feels something small, furry, and mouse sized...

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feathers, tails, paper anything to shred, and Holly loves this...

"Cat Attack"

It moves the top stick around on its own, and comes with a remote so you can drive it around the floor. Kitty thinks its scary, so Holly inherited it

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Bird is one of the few things that HOLD his interest, but he loves to chase catnip mice... I just have to fetch them post-chase.

String is a hit too.

Oh, and anything I've told him NOT to touch.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are more into toys that I have to move than things they play with alone. They'll occasionally play with furry mice and Ana loves to play fetch with a sparkly pom pom - but again that's me playing with her.

They love DaBird, feather teasers and the laser pointer.

preciousmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never thought of milk rings!!

My cat received her first toy when she was young. It was a small stuffed dolphin. She is now about to turn 7 and still has the thing around but VERY well used. When she first got it she actually put the dolpin in her water dish...hmmmm

She also loves this little fur mouse that you can stuff catnip in! She can play for a loooong time with this.