Should I scold her or praise her

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie stayed out most of the night last night. I called and called but then I finally went to sleep. I woke up at 4:30 - still not in. I called her again and she came in with a mouse. I always praise her when she gets a mouse which is much better than a song bird.

So do I tell Butzie that she is a good mouser or a bad girl for staying out? She doesn't get to go out today but that is a moot point because she is now sleeping on the good couch.
All that playing with the mouse in the house made her tired.

Gotta go now and throw out the dead mouse on the bathroom floor.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat probably didn't come because was too busy hunting!! If you waited to scold the cat, they would just forget about it and wouldn't know why you were scolding them. I wouldn't scold them, they were just being a cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turned out that it was a toy in the bathroom. Now I don't know where the dead mouse is. Butzie is still sleeping away.

BTW I told her that she was a good mouser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FrootLoop

Has any cat ever done that?
OMG! It is 6:30 pm on the day when Butzie brought in the mouse at 4:30 am. She found the mouse in my bedroom and it is still alive! She is playing with it again. I really hope that she looses the mouse again because, by any stretch of Darwin's Law, that mouse should be let to reproduce.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you gotta praise the mighty hunter
But, hours later when she is still keeping you awake, it might be ok to let her know that is not a nice thing to do to meowmy.

queenfe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, now I know that feeling, I also am never sure to love or scold when I get lizards, birds or mouse handed to me...

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by queenfe

Awww, now I know that feeling, I also am never sure to love or scold when I get lizards, birds or mouse handed to me...
Praise. That is what cats are for after all.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Amber got out 2 weeks ago Saturday and was gone for 34 hours. I was a major wreck to say the least. I was up all Saturday night looking for her and finally got to bed at 7am Sunday. Sunday was a lost cause to try and find her, because we were also getting what was left of hurricane Ike, with winds of 70 mph. Come Monday morning, we got up at 5am to go look for her and there she was. Sitting on our propane tank looking at us like she was saying well, you going to let me in or what? I was so mad at her, but I praised her for coming home. To make things worse, we made the local paper too.