Coco might start Sub Q's this week and I am scared of doing them

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet said we will check her bp on Weds and we will talk about doing Sub Q's.
I never did them with Stripe
I took her to the vet for it every week.
I am afraid I will screw it up.
I had to have Stripe pts 8 years ago today from Crf and she only last a year.
They thin Coco has it.
Her Thyroid and Liver Tests are fine.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did them a few years ago and was scared too, but it actually went okay. Simon was a pretty mellow cat and he just laid down and purred. It didn't hurt him at all. It helps to appear as calm as possible and maybe reward her with a tasty treat when you're done.
Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not give her treats because her bladder problems.
We are giving her Urinary food still but may have to switch to K/D this week.
I doubt she will eat it because Stripe hated it.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sub-q fluids are easy
I think you'd actually have to TRY to screw it up. Just have the vet walk you through it--you'll do just fine.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to give my moms cat sub Q's for renal failure and the first few times i was terrified but you really cant mess it up except for if you dont get the needle in right it squirts onto the skin. i understand your apprehension but like it was already posted have the vet walk you through it and if you have any concerns questions or anything call your vet. i hope your baby feels better. my thoughts are with you.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had to do sub q on a 24 hour old kitten with only over the phone instructions! I was cat sitting for my neighbor when I noticed the newborn didn't look so well. It was nervewracking, but I managed and it went well. Unfortunately kitty passed a week or so later (had a heart defect), but it did make him more comfortable in the meantime.

You can do it!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet showed my friend and I how to do it on my cat Tiger. Fortnately for me, my friend was in nursing school and not so freaked out by doing stuff like that as I was. I just helped keep her still and what not. My friend said it was easy and it really didn't look hard. I understand why you are nervous about doing it. I'm sure after the first few times you won't mind so much.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Sorry to have to ask but what is a sub q? I hope it goes well, even though i don't know what it is.
Sub q is short for sub cutaneous.

When administering sub q fluids, you place a needle under the loose skin found above the shoulders/on the back and you inject fluids into the space under the skin. The cat then absorbs those fluids slowly.

Very useful when you have a cat that has a need of supplemental fluids, but not a urgent need (urgent need would mean you'd need an IV.) Most renal kitties have a need or will have a need for additional fluids from once a week to every day.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had to do this for my kitties as well and was scared my first couple times
You'll do great!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if she can't have treats, give her lots of love and praise, so she associates getting fluids with something she pleasant, although the fluids should make her feel better.

I also used to slightly warm the bag in water, so the fluids wouldn't be too cold.

If it's any consolation, I have a real aversion to needles, and did okay. You'll do fine!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22

I had to give my moms cat sub Q's for renal failure and the first few times i was terrified but you really cant mess it up except for if you dont get the needle in right it squirts onto the skin.
I once put the needle entirely through the scruff of the neck and it squirted out the other side. Didn't bother Simon one bit!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Simkie

Sub q is short for sub cutaneous.

When administering sub q fluids, you place a needle under the loose skin found above the shoulders/on the back and you inject fluids into the space under the skin. The cat then absorbs those fluids slowly.

Very useful when you have a cat that has a need of supplemental fluids, but not a urgent need (urgent need would mean you'd need an IV.) Most renal kitties have a need or will have a need for additional fluids from once a week to every day.
Thank you! Good luck, I hope it goes well. I too would be nervous but sounds like you have a lot of people here who have done and has gone well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I never did it with Stripe but I was working 60-80 hours a week then and she could not live with me because our place did not allow cats.
I will try it with Coco instead of going to the vet all the time.
Stripe I took to the vet for the Sub Q's.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband took on the task of giving Mort sub-q's. The vet taught him how and we kept her going for a year as she was failing with CRF. Mort was almost 18 when she passed away. I held her while he gave her the sub-q. At first he was nervous he was going to hurt her. You will get used to it after the initial fear goes away and you see how much it helps her.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing sub-Q fluids on Cleo for over 6 years, and I also did them on my parent's cat, Samson, for over 4 years. Once you get over your fear of needles, it becomes very easy. Most cat seem to understand that they feel better from the fluids. Cleo actually asks for her fluids when she hears me warming them and getting them ready. Here's a terrific link that shows how to do them....step by step, with pictures. http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html

Good luck to you and Coco! Please don't hesitate to PM me if there's anything I can help you with!