What do ear mites look like?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Shareena got out a couple of days ago and was running around in the bushes and weeds for at least an hour before I caught her. Yesterday I noticed she had some black raised spots on her ears. At first I thought it was some kind of weed seeds caught in her fur, but they seem to actually be attached to the skin.

None of my cats have ever had problems with ear mites, fleas, or any other parasites, so I don't really know what to look for. Is there a site that shows pictures of ear mites or other things that it might be?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just treated Milo for ear mites. They were inside the ears, and looked like black crusty stuff all down the ear canal. When I cleaned them out with the eardrops I was given, they appeared as black dots and crust on the cotton wool.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a stray cat that adopted us and he gets his routine vet check ups. The vet showed me what ear mites look like under the microscope and ewwwwww their nasty looking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. From your descriptions I don't think Shareena has ear mites. For one thing, they are on the backs of her ears, not inside. I think it must be some kind of bug, possibly ticks? Although I've never seen a tick that small. I think I've gotten them all off of her and she seems to be fine. One of them left a small welt behind, which I am watching closely.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Thanks for the replies. From your descriptions I don't think Shareena has ear mites. For one thing, they are on the backs of her ears, not inside. I think it must be some kind of bug, possibly ticks? Although I've never seen a tick that small. I think I've gotten them all off of her and she seems to be fine. One of them left a small welt behind, which I am watching closely.
It sure sounds like they might be "seed ticks," which are about the size of pin head.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about these little tics, but i had one on my head once. We had to light a match and put it to his butt so he'd back out of my head. If you don't, and you just pull it off, the head will break off and stay embeded in your head.

I don't know if it's all tics, but I'd check that out just in case

little baby lay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah my cat has bumps on her ears but they are on the out side part. I had another cat that the same this thing and after a while when I started to notice it he had no fur there. . .  I know it's bad to let whatever it to get that bad but i didn't know he had anything wrong please help so i can take care of it.