First date in 2 years, and very nervous!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the situation....... I have been single for over 2 years, concentrating on myself and restarting my life. Someone who works on the same pier, different business, asked me to the movies. I have lunch with this group of employees a couple times a week, am friends with them, but.......they are much younger then me. Early to mid 20's, I am 37 and don't think he realizes how much older I am! Everyone tells me how I look so much younger then my age, how do I tell him my age, or even ask him his, without feeling like an idiot?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You go out with him, you have a great time, and if he asks you out again, you do the same thing. When the subject of age comes up, then you tell him. If he's shocked, you tell him that you thought he was your age.

My point is, go have some fun, and don't worry about it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about age, it really doesn't matter too much in my opinion as long as the people have things in common and are similar in maturity. (My DH is 9 yrs older than me to the day).

Go out and have a wonderful time! Just enjoy yourself

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

You go out with him, you have a great time, and if he asks you out again, you do the same thing. When the subject of age comes up, then you tell him. If he's shocked, you tell him that you thought he was your age.

My point is, go have some fun, and don't worry about it.
Yep! Ditto that!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a good time. If he goes to buy a drink and the waitress asks for his ID and he says he doesn't have it, he's probably too young for you.

Otherwise, these days it doesn't make much difference. If you're looking for a permanent situation (and I don't think you are), then maybe you'll have to work it out somehow.

Maybe he knows you're older and just wants the benefit of your experience!

You know Ben Franklin praised the benefits of dating older women? How much wiser can you get than him?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is from the group you lunch with, he knows your age, trust me, he has no doubt asked about you, if your available, etc.! Go, have fun!
Oh, when did 37 become old?

skadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw. I would just go and enjoy yourself, if things go well and it starts to get a little more serious, then of course, the subject of your age will come up. But yeah, I reckon if it's got a little more full on, you obviously enjoy each other's company and are attracted to each other, so age shouldn't be an issue.

I reckon you're still close enough to have stuff in common, but teach each other stuff too.

I hope it goes well either way.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age doesn't matter if you have things in common, and working in the same place I'm guessing you do. Like Trillcat said, he probably already knows your age...men usually ask questions before asking someone out, so if it doesn't bother him, don't let it bother you. Do you know exactly how old he is? If not, you may be assuming he is younger than he is.

In any case...have a great time. If age comes up, be honest and go from there. But, obviously he thinks you are fun to be with and he likes you or else he wouldn't have asked you out!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey that great, go out and have some fun, i am sure somewhere the subject will come out, just smile and tell him , your age.

well, age does matter some. when the person is still on a young side, but mid 20's are not on the young side.Back when me and wife had some issues,

i found myself dating a 20 year old girl(yea to me 20 is still girl :p ), how she was very cute, she drove me NUTS!!! plus along with my need for lots of alone time, things did not go well, we really had nothing in common.

now go out there and have fun

danishl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Don't worry about age, it really doesn't matter too much in my opinion as long as the people have things in common and are similar in maturity. (My DH is 9 yrs older than me to the day).

Go out and have a wonderful time! Just enjoy yourself
I agree. i don't think age can do anything matter
you go out with him, just be yourself

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that women worry about their being older than a man but a man thinks that he is hot for having a younger woman?

I am not exactly a trophy wife, but I look a lot younger than I am. Men like the way I look and DH knows it. He likes the fact that men like to look at me but he likes it even more that I don't look back.

Stop stressing. Have a good time. When the time is right you can bring up the subject. Some men actually like older women because they are more experienced in many ways. Not to mention that we outlive them. Girl, you go for that younger man!