What would you do?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here it goes...I have a concern and need your thoughts/opinions!

My husband and I moved into our newly developed neighborhood in Dec. 2006.We have had issues with some of the children in the neighborhood (ages range from 8ish-18ish). One day, I caught one little boy shooting a pellet gun through the fence at Watson (my german shepherd) because "he was barking at me, and I had to shoot him before he ran through the fence". At the end of all that drama, I ended up talking with the parent of this child. That didn't stop these children. About a month or so later, some of the kids were banging on our door and ringing the doorbell constantly and then running off. This happened twice and then I called the police department to file a complaint. They sent the police officer that lives in the neighborhood. He talked to the kids, and they stopped harrassing us, minus the barking the kids do to me and my sister when we ride our bikes. I am not their age-I am in my late 20's-where is the respect? AHHHH!

In the last couple of weeks, construction has started across the street (4 houses). As I was watching tv this afternoon, I heard loud squealing. I peeked out the window and one teenage boy was hanging like a monkey on the garage door, a little boy was throwing rocks at the windows, and then about 8 kids ran out of the garage when they saw me (debris is still left in yards). The best part of this whole thing was there were about 4 construction workers just hanging out on the porch of one of the houses. I also noticed yesterday that some kids were running out of the house. So....my question is: would you talk to the parents, talk with the neighbor who is a police officer, complain to HOA or the construction manager of the builder? Or, something totally different? BTW, I put our survaillance camera facing the houses to capture them in the act, so I can prove my point if this turns into something major...like the kids getting hurt-that's my main concern!!!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound really dorky, but what about having a block party to get to know the parents, and THEN being able to talk to them a little bit about your concerns. They probably don't know that their "darlings" are doing some of these things, and I speak from experience!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Ok, so here it goes...I have a concern and need your thoughts/opinions!

My husband and I moved into our newly developed neighborhood in Dec. 2006.We have had issues with some of the children in the neighborhood (ages range from 8ish-18ish). One day, I caught one little boy shooting a pellet gun through the fence at Watson (my german shepherd) because "he was barking at me, and I had to shoot him before he ran through the fence". At the end of all that drama, I ended up talking with the parent of this child. That didn't stop these children. About a month or so later, some of the kids were banging on our door and ringing the doorbell constantly and then running off. This happened twice and then I called the police department to file a complaint. They sent the police officer that lives in the neighborhood. He talked to the kids, and they stopped harrassing us, minus the barking the kids do to me and my sister when we ride our bikes. I am not their age-I am in my late 20's-where is the respect? AHHHH!

In the last couple of weeks, construction has started across the street (4 houses). As I was watching tv this afternoon, I heard loud squealing. I peeked out the window and one teenage boy was hanging like a monkey on the garage door, a little boy was throwing rocks at the windows, and then about 8 kids ran out of the garage when they saw me (debris is still left in yards). The best part of this whole thing was there were about 4 construction workers just hanging out on the porch of one of the houses. I also noticed yesterday that some kids were running out of the house. So....my question is: would you talk to the parents, talk with the neighbor who is a police officer, complain to HOA or the construction manager of the builder? Or, something totally different? BTW, I put our survaillance camera facing the houses to capture them in the act, so I can prove my point if this turns into something major...like the kids getting hurt-that's my main concern!!!!!
Personally, if someone shot at my pet with a pellet gun I wouldn't care what happened to the little hooligans.

It's up to their parents to keep an eye on their kids, not you.

They've stopped harassing you, so in my opinion, just try to ignore them.

If someone ends up getting hurt, you can always offer up the video tape in the event that someone does get hurt and tries to sue for their damages.

In the meantime, if you see the kid with a gun again, call the cops and report a "gun", don't say what kind it is. Police are more apt to respond to a "gun" than a "pellet gun".

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for sure talk to the parents in my opinion and possibly tell them you are worried that the kids might get hurt it may get them to actually do something about it since it will make them think their kids will get hurt?

But call the cops next time
keep everything closed and possibly get something to go around the fence so nothing can be shot through the slats

skadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

One day, I caught one little boy shooting a pellet gun through the fence at Watson (my german shepherd) because "he was barking at me, and I had to shoot him before he ran through the fence".
My advice? Buy your own pellet gun, and shoot it at the nasty little toerags who seem to live around your way. And then say you had to shoot them before they ran through your fence...

Not the most mature advice, admittedly...

I dunno, I'm sorry you have to live in such circumstances though, I guess you should speak to the parents (well, obviously) and if they won't take responsibilty, speak to other neighbours, see if maybe a few of you can rally around and get this solved?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would befriend the kids. Get them to trust and respect me. Invite them for cookies after school, and introduce them to my animals. Your young age will help, they may eventually consider you an ally.

Obviously the parents are absent or have no control over their kids; the police can only help some - I know they are very busy in Houston. You can get control of this situation yourself.

Kill 'em with kindness.

p.s. It wouldn't hurt to introduce yourself to all the neighbors, nobody does that anymore but everyone likes it when someone makes an effort. And if they met you, they are less likely to think you are a perv offering sweets to their kids. But I have a feeling these parents have no idea what their kids are up to anyway.

p.p.s. By befriending the kids, I don't mean becoming responsible for their well-being. That is not your responsibility and don't let anyone think it is. Let us know how it goes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I would befriend the kids. Get them to trust and respect me. Invite them for cookies after school, and introduce them to my animals.
In this day and age doing that could get you accused of being a sexual predator!
Long gone are the days when kids go and hang out innocently at an adult's house without people thinking that something "funny" is going on.

I remember as a kid I used to go and visit lots of the neighbours who didn't have kids. I would have lunch with them, or dinner, or even go on outings like to the zoo with them. All I would do was tell my mom "I'm going to Miss Yoder's house." She would say "Bye! Have fun!" Try doing that with someone else's kid these days ...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging from the number of parents who are always trying to dump their kids here for me to watch, I'd say the parents would be glad to know that their kids will be spending some time at the neighbor's after school.

oci-lot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just wait until these kids can drive....Then they will always be gone...just a few more years ;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. Since I am a school teacher, it is really easy for me to get along with some of the kids. One high school girl is always waving and saying hello to me. I have tried to befriend some of the kids by saying hi...they just look at me and sneer. I am appalled by the disrespect alot of children have these days, but that's what happens when you don't have control over your own kids.

I actually left a message with the builder last night before I posted this thread. He called back this morning and I told him of the situation. He was very upset, and he was going to speak with the construction supervisor. I have done what I can now. Hopefully, this doesn't cause more trouble