TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Helloo!

I have been able to sex the kittens.

All the orange/whites are male 3 total
One orange is male the other is female
Both whites are female

So! Now that I know the sex, does that help you awesome gene-ologists determine a) the color of the dad/dads and b) whether the whites will stay white? They still have NO hint of color and are just as white as mom. Texture is different, but white non-the-less

Just wondering! Thanks so much!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'm guessing the dad was white. In that case they probably won't be pointed, but it's sure fun trying to guess, isn't it? The whole litter is just the cutest I've seen, though! Congrats!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is quite late for me to be up (or early if you want to look at it from the other angle!) so my logic may not be 100% but off the top of my head:

If you have red (ie orange) females, it means both parents had red on them. Red is sex-linked on the X chromosome so to get a red female you either need red male x red female, or red male x tortie female.

One of the parents at least had white spotting - most likely both if the kittens are more than 60% white, if not then assume one parent was bicolour.

If mum is white all over then I would assume from her litter that she is dominant white which in this case is masking either red or tortie genes (and possibly white spotting too), but carrying non-white, as some of the kittens have colour. Dominant white covers up all other colours, but they can still be passed on to kittens.

I would guess that the white kittens will be dominant white and will stay white. There is a small possibility that both parents carry colourpoint in which case they could turn out to be red point (in the US I believe this is called flame point?) kittens, if so it will start to show in a few weeks.

But that tbh is unlikely if mum is dominant white carrying non-white, you would expect the white to be passed to some of the litter.

Dad was almost certainly a red or red & white cat.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if the kittens are Dominant white (which I was thinking) would they have green eyes? I thought the mom was red & white, so that's why I was thinking white dad. Certainly either red & white, red, or white, LOL.

Case in point, my feral stray, Elsa is black, so I was assuming black, tortie, or tabby kittens. I got black, brown tabby, torbie, and pure white. That made me think that there was a brown tabby male dad, AND a pure white male.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My bad! I thought all had seen the pics by now. lol I have been spaming the forums with them. lol

GLADLY!!

Here's the litter! ALMOST 2 weeks old now.

Also, how can you tell if they will be long hair? Short hair? Double or single coat? lol

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO your whites will remain white and all the babies look shorthair to me

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens remain white by a month old, they will be white. Since mom's a red/white and all kittens are also red and/or red/white (except the two all white) then dad is a red (as you have a solid red in there). The white kittens have a different father (white).

They look all shorthair to me and probably a medium type of thickness.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay!

I have ALWAYS wanted a white kitty. My grandma had a huge soft spot for her white cat who went out one day and never came back. (the risk of having indoor/outdoor cats) She was sad for years, even though she had about 5 other cats.

I loved that cat too. She was so sweet and sooo pretty.

Plus, I will FINALLY be able to put a pink collar on one of my kitties!!! Hubby wouldn't HEAR of it with the other two! But with a white girl kitty, even he can't argue that it's the best color!

we will see, either way, no matter what color they turn out, I am so excited and will love her the same.

I wish I could keep the entire litter.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Want to see how well my attempt at a pink collar went?

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

LOL I just saw this pic in the cat picture forum and laughed! I wondered if you had been attempting that pink collar.

I will be going for a much more muted pink, not unlike her nose and pawpads. So MAYBE I can sneak it by her. She had to see that shocking pink collar coming from a mile away! You should get her while she is asleep, that way she can't see it once it's on and won't know the difference.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the kittens remain white by a month old, they will be white. Since mom's a red/white and all kittens are also red and/or red/white (except the two all white) then dad is a red (as you have a solid red in there). The white kittens have a different father (white).

They look all shorthair to me and probably a medium type of thickness.
So dad couldn't be red and white, and mom red and white and make white babies?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

You should enter this one in the September photo contest.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took your advice and did that. heheh I hadn't even thought about that one! thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If both parents have color they cannot produce an all white kitten. One or both parents have to be all white.

Think of it as white washing a kitten - the kitten is painted all white but genetically they carry a color - and only when bred do you find out which color (unless you know the pedigree). The white kittens could be carrying red or tortie (if the white father was "black" under the white).

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Since mom's a red/white and all kittens are also red and/or red/white (except the two all white) then dad is a red (as you have a solid red in there).
This isnt true. The dad could've been white (but carrying the red gene masked by the all white gene.) While it is totally possible that there are two fathers responsible for this litter, it is also totally plausible that the father for all of these kittens was white, but definitely a red-gene carrier since yuo have red females!

At two weeks old, I will venture to guess that they are not pointed, in my experience, at least a hint of color would be showing on the ears (at least) by now. Of course, I've never had a flame point, perhaps the "red" shows up later and more subtly.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

So dad couldn't be red and white, and mom red and white and make white babies?
Correct, if you see a white kitten, you know at least one of the parents were white. Same if you get a polydactyl kitten. Since the gene is dominant, it will give you a look into the parents.

Think of it as white washing a kitten - the kitten is painted all white but genetically they carry a color
This is a good way of explaining it!

PS - can you tell I just learned how to multi-quote? I love it!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

there are some pretty pale pink ones here: Ragtime Collars
she even makes 'kitten' sizes!
OH MY GOSH! Thanks SO much for this link!! Now I know why I want a white cat so badly! I think I have an OCD and like thing to match. I also have an accessory fetish, SO with a white cat, i can buy every single one of those dang collars and they will still match my cat!

LOL

Poor Little Boy and Polly are stuck with Black collars all the time. lol I can just see having a different collar every day for a white kitty.

I need help...

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

This isnt true. The dad could've been white (but carrying the red gene masked by the all white gene.) While it is totally possible that there are two fathers responsible for this litter, it is also totally plausible that the father for all of these kittens was white, but definitely a red-gene carrier since yuo have red females!

At two weeks old, I will venture to guess that they are not pointed, in my experience, at least a hint of color would be showing on the ears (at least) by now. Of course, I've never had a flame point, perhaps the "red" shows up later and more subtly.

Correct, if you see a white kitten, you know at least one of the parents were white. Same if you get a polydactyl kitten. Since the gene is dominant, it will give you a look into the parents.

This is a good way of explaining it!

PS - can you tell I just learned how to multi-quote? I love it!
This is SO helpful! Thank you!

Now, with white kitties, how often are they deaf or blind? When can you start to tell that they might be?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All white cats can have a tendency to be deaf (not where you got the idea of blindness but its not true - blue eyed whites are more sensitive to bright light but not blind).

I found out that bicolor cats can carry a "deaf" gene that is passed on when bred to white cats. I had a gold-eye white kitten that I had no idea she was deaf till the owner told me after being tested by her vet (I got the kitten back as she didn't want it after that).

It then dawned on me why she never really came when being called and why she would scream when she "lost" you in another room. She was hard to "wake up".

You can test the kittens in a few ways. Put the kitten by itself in a room (like the bathroom) and make a loud noise behind the kitten - be sure the kitten cannot see you moving. Use keys, a small pot/pan, or clapping. If the kitten startles or turns to look, you know its not deaf. If the kitten continues to ignore you, then its probably deaf.