TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm such a nerd!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm such a nerd!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yes, I think I officially qualify as a nerd because I actually found that joke funny:

FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #19
A:\tTo be or not to be.
Q:\tWhat is the square root of 4b^2?

post #2 of 19
I don't get it
post #3 of 19
ugh, I feel like a complete geek for getting that joke.
post #4 of 19
I'm no computer nerd, though I am a bit of a non-computer nerd, and I thought that was a kick!
post #5 of 19
Duh, I don't get it either, which is why I think nerds are really cool cuz they are soooo smart
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-p View Post
Yes, I think I officially qualify as a nerd because I actually found that joke funny:

FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #19
A:\tTo be or not to be.
Q:\tWhat is the square root of 4b^2?

LOL!!! Good One.

See, the square root of "4b squared" (how you would say 4b^2) is....


.... 2b (to be) Ta da!!!


ETA it is also -(2b) or NOT to be.
post #7 of 19
Maybe I don't get it because I don't know what this " ^ " means.
post #8 of 19
It is because you can't do superscript in html. So instead of "2 squared" you write 2^2 (two to the power of 2)
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
It is because you can't do superscript in html. So instead of "2 squared" you write 2^2 (two to the power of 2)
Ok, so the question is actually:

What is the square root of 4b to the power of 2?

I still don't understand the answer of "To be or not to be" though.
post #10 of 19
I see it more like "What is the square root of" 4b squared.

Square root of 4 is 2
Square root of b squared is b

So your result is 2b or "to be"
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I see it more like "What is the square root of" 4b squared.

Square root of 4 is 2
Square root of b squared is b

So your result is 2b or "to be"
Ahh, Ok. So the "or not to be" really isn't a factor in the answer.

Ok, I get it. But I guess I'm not a nerd because I don't find it funny!
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Ahh, Ok. So the "or not to be" really isn't a factor in the answer.

Ok, I get it. But I guess I'm not a nerd because I don't find it funny!
You are getting there.

However, of course in math, when a negative is multiplied by a negative, you get a positive, right?

Soooooo..."negative 2b squared" or (-2b)^2 is ALSO 4b squared. (4b^2).

So "to be" (2b) or "not to be " (negative) (2b) equal 4b squared.
post #13 of 19
Funny, but oh my aching head.......
post #14 of 19
Funny, and really not that difficult to get. I would say a person wouldn't have to be too nerdy to find that funny... now if you get and enjoy apt-get jokes you have something to worry about. Sadly, marie-p probably knows what I'm talking about.
post #15 of 19
LOL!!

I am passing this along to my father, who is a super math nerd!
post #16 of 19
I don´t understand at first sight.... but after kim´s explanation!......

I should to read more!...
post #17 of 19
Uhoh -- I love it too! And me without my pocket protector...
post #18 of 19
Now THIS is a nerdy joke-
There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those that know binary and those that don't


I only get this one because I bought my bf a binary watch for xmas. He asked for it.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata_mint View Post
Now THIS is a nerdy joke-
There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those that know binary and those that don't


I only get this one because I bought my bf a binary watch for xmas. He asked for it.
My dad would have loved that one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm such a nerd!