Java Updates

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received a Java update, and need to know if the attached link is legit and safe to download.

http://java.com/en/download/javacom_update.jsp

I'm sure it's perfectly fine, but ever since the virus download that went awry, I'm kinda paranoid about downloading anything now unless I'm 100% sure....

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's some javascript in the page source whose source is a website not carrying the java or sun domains: cetrk.com. I whois'ed it and it's got privacy protection and godaddy is the registrar. It does seem a little odd. Would Sun use a godaddy-registered site to host javascript source for their web pages? Needing to know more I googled it and came up with these:
http://www.browserdefender.com/site/cetrk.com/
http://www.herroflomjapan.com/2007/0...spying-on-you/
http://pocketseo.com/analytics/29
So apparently, it's a tracking service. Still is kind of odd Sun would be using such a service when they could do it themselves, but outsourcing IS the name of the corporate game these days. My opinion is that it's harmless and that really is a legit Sun site. But download at your own risk. That's what protection is for.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have any doubts, delete the update you got. Open Control Panel, click on the Java icon, and use that to update directly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If you have any doubts, delete the update you got. Open Control Panel, click on the Java icon, and use that to update directly.
I did what you suggested, Mike, just to be on the safe side. After I clicked on update, the Jave update icon disappeared from my desktop, so I reckon it did what it was supposed to do.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance!
A lot of this computer stuff is still fairly new to me.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's new to anyone who took their last computer class longer ago than yesterday.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It's new to anyone who took their last computer class longer ago than yesterday.

Ain't it the truth!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's right to be cautious. Yesterday morning I booted up my computer, and was presented with an alert box that I needed to upgrade my Flash version. Being a little groggy yet, and recognizing the logo, I click on OK. As soon as the download started my virus software popped up with a notice it had cleaned and quarantined a virus in a startup file. The download cancelled. Looking back on it, it was a little odd that I didn't have a browser open at the time.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

She's right to be cautious. Yesterday morning I booted up my computer, and was presented with an alert box that I needed to upgrade my Flash version. Being a little groggy yet, and recognizing the logo, I click on OK. As soon as the download started my virus software popped up with a notice it had cleaned and quarantined a virus in a startup file. The download cancelled. Looking back on it, it was a little odd that I didn't have a browser open at the time.
This is exactly why I'm so cautious. You think that anything that pops up like that on your desktop is supposed to be "safe", but it may not be. There are so many things about computers that I have no idea about, and I'd rather be overly cautious than foolish about it.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree to err on the side of coution, but these day's if you are too cautious....you'll never end up looking at any other web sites, besides TCS...LOL

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

That's what protection is for.
As long as you have up to date virus protection, have automatic updates scheduled for the newest threats and don't turn it off because it slows down your computer

Maybe sticking to TCS would be better

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using the ESET NOD32 security suite. This is absolutely the best consumer-level protection you can buy for your computer. I'm so impressed with the way this software works. It's very resource- and cpu-light, yet it has all the functionality and features of the big hog programs -- Symantec and McAfee come to mind. And I've tried all those, so it's a first-hand comparison. ESET updates on an hourly basis. It's already caught several bugs before they had a chance to infect my system. BTW, I think I heard about it here, if my memory is right.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As long as you have up to date virus protection, have automatic updates scheduled for the newest threats and don't turn it off because it slows down your computer
The virus program is running constantly, and I have the updates set up to be installed automatically at a specific time every day.
I do sometimes turn the computer off though, but usually only when we're getting a severe storm. Severe lightening strikes are common in this area, and I'm kinda paranoid about getting hit and frying the computer - even though it is protected by a surge protector...

Maybe sticking to TCS would be better

TCS is one of the few websites that I DO trust!