when has a cat "filled out" to much?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed Mai Sai is starting to grow a bit of a belly. When we got him from the shelter he was a bit on the thin side, not to the point where I thought he was sick, but as if, well, he came from a shelter. At first this seemed good, and if he was another cat i wouldn't worry about it much, but he is half saimese (sp?). He himself is solid gray/silver but his sister (who was adopted before I was there) I am told looked full siamese. I thought he had the build of a saimese, though he is growing quiet long. Now his belly is getting alittle more...well alittle lower, though its not overly round....

Should I be watching how much food he gets? At the moment he is getting one can of wet food every other day and his fill of dry food (we have a dish we keep filled for both the cats). He is only 7 months old, so I dont want to risk his health by cutting it down to much....

What do you think?

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you weighed him?

This sounds silly, but took me awhile to figure out. Stand on a scale to get your own weight. Then weigh yourself again while holding the cat. The difference is what the cat weighs. For a 7 month old, he should weigh about 7 pounds I think.

Holly was very thin when I got her, and has since been a little over what I think she should weigh, but not too fat IMO. Once they are neutered/spayed they tend to gain weight easier too. I wouldnt feed a weight controlling food. just get him to be a little more active and feed a good quality food. If you think its a medical issue, the vet is only a phone call away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

have you weighed him?

This sounds silly, but took me awhile to figure out. Stand on a scale to get your own weight. Then weigh yourself again while holding the cat. The difference is what the cat weighs. For a 7 month old, he should weigh about 7 pounds I think.

Holly was very thin when I got her, and has since been a little over what I think she should weigh, but not too fat IMO. Once they are neutered/spayed they tend to gain weight easier too. I wouldnt feed a weight controlling food. just get him to be a little more active and feed a good quality food. If you think its a medical issue, the vet is only a phone call away.
we just took him to the vet were he was weighted. He weights 7.8 I'm sorry I should have writen that down. thank you the advise, I think your right about the weight controlling food.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most likely if you cut out the dry food and just feed canned no gravy, you shouldn't have to worry about a weight problem

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, what you are describing sounds to me like "spay sway" Bijou is a full Siamese (Traditional) and weighs in at around 18+ lbs and his sister Mika is 8+ lbs. They both have the hanging tummy near the back legs. This is quite a normal happening.

Weight issues would be measured more by the profile of their back and whether they have a nice "waist line" so to speak.

Although Bijou is heavy, he is not abnormally overweight. He is large but very muscular. True he could lose a couple pounds, but he is vey solid.

Can you get a picture of what you are describing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Actually, what you are describing sounds to me like "spay sway" Bijou is a full Siamese (Traditional) and weighs in at around 18+ lbs and his sister Mika is 8+ lbs. They both have the hanging tummy near the back legs. This is quite a normal happening.

Weight issues would be measured more by the profile of their back and whether they have a nice "waist line" so to speak.

Although Bijou is heavy, he is not abnormally overweight. He is large but very muscular. True he could lose a couple pounds, but he is vey solid.

I would if I could, but I'm still a few posts away from being able to send pictures, but yes, thats what it sounds like...I had no idea that was normal, thank you

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My Siam topped out at around 16 lbs at his healthiest...about a year and 1/2.
He was a Lynx point Siamese mix. He had the spay sway also, but he also was very long and had very long legs. He didn't really look fat, just had a "hangy"
When I had him sent to the Rainbow Bridge from cancer, he was 9 lbs and was very thin, 9 lbs doesn't sound thin, but it was for him. I think Siamese just are a long muscular breed and can handle their wieght very well.

Everyone give their cats a big smooch from me tonight. I miss my Siam so much and I'm worried about my baby Thai. Love your babies!