Ocicat kitten shopping help.

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new so please forgive me if I'm not following the rules. I'm thinking about buying a Ocicat. This will also be my first cat. I've read all sorts of wonderful things about this breed. Someone local to me (in eastern Pennsylvania, USA) is offering this kitten for 500 or 600 dollars. Does this price seem in line? Someone else in eastern PA was trying to sell a ebony silver (like this one) for 1500 dollars! I have a few photos; can someone confirm that it is a ocicat kitten and that it looks healthy? I know only a vet will tell me if the cat is truely healthy but maybe a cat expert will see something I don't see.

I'd appreciate any help!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you read the article about Ocicats on the home page of TCS?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have read that article and many others. I'm more curious what to expect to pay and what to expect when buying from a breeder as this is my first cat.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has the breeder mentioned the discharge from the kittens right eye?

I paid $1000 for a male kitten last year, but I hear that around $800 is typical for pet quality purebred cats. I'd be interested in hearing if the breeder with the $500 kitten is showing any of her cats, and how they were doing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should PM GoldenKitty45 as she's more knowledgable on the US Oci catteries.

500-600 is probably about right for an Oci kitten over there, the kitten in those photos looks quite ill.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could I please give you some free advice? I guarantee it will be worth the price!

As a volunteer at a shelter, I see wonderful and apparently purebred kittens on a regular basis. Most only have the markings, and are otherwise "normal" cats. Here's our Sterling that we got at the shelter:

Now, he is not a purebred ocicat. He's just a spotted silver tabby. But isn't he gorgeous? And it cost us only $50 to adopt him.

The kitten in your photos is very sick. Note the weepy eyes and rough coat.

So, my free advice: Go to the local shelters, ASPCA, Humane Society, and check craigslist, and find yourself a beautiful cat you will fall in love with, and save yourself a bundle of money while you save a kitten's life.

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

Has the breeder mentioned the discharge from the kittens right eye?

I paid $1000 for a male kitten last year, but I hear that around $800 is typical for pet quality purebred cats. I'd be interested in hearing if the breeder with the $500 kitten is showing any of her cats, and how they were doing.
I'll be sure to check on that.

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Could I please give you some free advice? I guarantee it will be worth the price!

As a volunteer at a shelter, I see wonderful and apparently purebred kittens on a regular basis. Most only have the markings, and are otherwise "normal" cats. Here's our Sterling that we got at the shelter:

Now, he is not a purebred ocicat. He's just a spotted silver tabby. But isn't he gorgeous? And it cost us only $50 to adopt him.

So, my free advice: Go to the local shelters, ASPCA, Humane Society, and check craigslist, and find yourself a beautiful cat you will fall in love with, and save yourself a bundle of money while you save a kitten's life.
The most important thing I'm looking for is a social cat - I don't want one that runs and hides all the time. Some family and friends have had extremely social cats that I love and others have had cats that I couldn't ever approach - it just ran. I'd prefer a kitten also. Thoughts on how to make sure I get a social one besides spending time w/ the cat?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know any perfect way, although going to a shelter and interacting with the cat for a while can give you a clue. But keep in mind that in the shelter, they are under stress and may not behave normally.

However, a kitten that wants to climb into your lap and purr instead of just running around in the cat room is a good start.

We have had members here (you can read their experiences in various threads) who thought they had picked out a cuddly cat, only to have it disappear under a bed when they got it home. Usually that is just for a short while, but being in a new, stressful environment can affect the kitten's behavior for a while.

And they all seem to get a lot less cuddly as they get older. Which may be good; 10 pounds of purring cat in your lap is nowhere near as appealing as 1 lb of purring kitten!

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the Oci breeders are running $600-800 for pets (and show neuters). The one that is pricing a silver over $1000 is probably getting breeding rights.

PM with the catteries you are looking at. I know the ones in your area. The first pictures; I agree that the kittens don't look well - probably upper respirtory. The other pictures are much healthier.

I'd like the cattery names of the ones where you got the pictures from (please pm me with them).

What color Oci are you interested in. I may have a few other breeders for you to check out if you want.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, take my advice too (I own one Ocicat 'Holly') and get two Ocicat kittens if you can! They are extremly active and need a good playmate.

I agree you should just go and get a kitten from a rescue group. I paid 700 for Holly. I am still waiting for her papers... The breeder is everything. Make sure you get a really good one.

They are great cats, and very social, but if you are not interested in showing/breeding some day, save the money. IMO, get the most normal kind of cat at the shelter too. Kitty is a very unique looking cat and is a mess
Wonderful, but has cost me hundereds in dollars over the last 1.5 years.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Please keep in mind that you are posting to the Breeders Corner Forum. This forum is for people interested in Breed cats, it's not the place to promote shelter cats.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tange1

These certainly look healthier - but the price is a lot more.
Yes, just in the photos, I would say this breeder is a much better bet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Well, take my advice too (I own one Ocicat 'Holly') and get two Ocicat kittens if you can! They are extremly active and need a good playmate.
I agree with that, I'd never own a single Ocicat again - he had 7 other cats to play with but was far to active for them all and was much happier when I got the other Oci's to keep him company.

Originally Posted by Meowers

They are great cats, and very social, but if you are not interested in showing/breeding some day, save the money.
Breeding/showing are not the only reasons to get a purebred. Some are after a certain look or personality traits.
Mine were all purchased for showing, but Demetri had other ideas
I don't see him as a waste of money, as he has the temperament I was after in a cat - showing is just a secondary hobby they are pets first.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Please keep in mind that you are posting to the Breeders Corner Forum. This forum is for people interested in Breed cats, it's not the place to promote shelter cats.
I am pleased that someone got there before me, it is often me saying that!

But the kitten in the photo in the first post does not look healthy - his eyes are running and his coat is lifted - both signs of ill health. I would not buy that kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Missy. I've always owned mixed breed (shelter or strays) and purebred. I chose purebreds because of the type of cat I liked and also for showing/breeding. After they retired, they still were my "pets" even if retired. Charlie is going to his last show today. Then he's retired. Because of him, I've had several people want to adopt an Oci (including our son now in Texas).

Many breeders are like us - we love our purebred pets - they are pets first, breeding/showing second. Even if some retired cats are placed in other homes, they will always have a few that will be in their homes forever as they are very special.

tange1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well this certainly isn't a easy decision. I have lots of people (not just here) telling me to get a free kitten from a shelter but I also love the idea of the personality of a ocicat. Here's the problem - 1 ocicat is expensive enough! I think I could afford one but 2? wow! Here's the deal, I'm a young guy, living by myself in a 1800sq foot townhouse. The cat would be home alone during the day - I work full time. If an ocicat truely can't be by itself during the day I might have to consider something else.

If this is the case - does anyone else have any recommendations for social breeds I might find at a shelter? (my apologies- this type of question probably shouldn't be in the breeder thread)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want a pedigreed kitten that would be more amenable to being alone, I would suggest that you ask the breeders here to make a suggestion. There ARE breeds that are very much that type of cat. You wouldn't want a bengal, probably, but a Ragdoll or something like that is very different.

I know we have experienced, caring breeders here, and I'll bet one of them can make the perfect suggestion.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tange1

Well this certainly isn't a easy decision. I have lots of people (not just here) telling me to get a free kitten from a shelter but I also love the idea of the personality of a ocicat. Here's the problem - 1 ocicat is expensive enough! I think I could afford one but 2? wow! Here's the deal, I'm a young guy, living by myself in a 1800sq foot townhouse. The cat would be home alone during the day - I work full time. If an ocicat truely can't be by itself during the day I might have to consider something else.

If this is the case - does anyone else have any recommendations for social breeds I might find at a shelter? (my apologies- this type of question probably shouldn't be in the breeder thread)
If you have your heart set on an Oci, then get one and as a companion for the Oci find a shelter cat that seems friendly and active. The second cat will keep your Oci occupied during your work day.
And do keep in mind that kittens from reputable shelters are certainly not free!