How would you write this

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys and gals, I need some help. I told you guys I was looking for a job a few weeks ago. Well, I had a guy e-mail me today but he hasn't told me what it is or where it is, but it would put me in a year long long-term relationship with my boyfriend *sniff sniff* 6 months was bad enough 4 months ago. But anyway, our house is leased up until October of 2009 and the lease states that we cannot sublease the house *grumble*. So anyway, the guy wants to know if I am dead set on staying here in Austin. That's all his e-mail back to me said. I wish it would've given me more information instead of being so cryptic. What is a good way/professional way to word "It depends on where the job is located" or "what he has to offer"? I don't want to say it bluntly like that, I think that is just unprofessional but I cannot think of another way to say it.

My boyfriend has a master's in computer science and we need to go somewhere that he can get a decent job too. I have a feeling that he can find a job easier than I can though, because everyone needs computer gurus. Austin has a lot of IT jobs here and he makes good money here, but it's not helping me find a good job for myself and it's kind of holding me back when I have a better chance of finding something if I look elsewhere as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not even pursue that job. If he can't tell you what it is, or where it is, then it's too fishy. Something's not right. I wouldn't even consider moving for this "job" for even a second.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I would not even pursue that job. If he can't tell you what it is, or where it is, then it's too fishy. Something's not right. I wouldn't even consider moving for this "job" for even a second.
I agree I think it is odd he never mentioned what the job was? I would never even consider moving without any facts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I know the guys name from his e-mail address, so I got curious and googled it. It came up with the company that he works for and also his resume and a picture of him. He's head of a department that I would like to get into (environmental health and safety) at that company. He went to Texas A&M, the same school that I did and graduated 6 years prior to when I graduated. A&M is really big on networking to try and find a job so I posted over on the TexAgs job forum to see if anyone knew of a job in Austin that I would be qualified for. He responded with his e-mail address and told me to shoot him an e-mail. I was kind of confused on what to say to him in the first email because I had no idea what he was going to say to me so this is what I said:

"Howdy, this is Amanda from the TexAgs forum and you wanted me to send you an e-mail possibly regarding a potential job opportunity. I am still searching for employment and would love to hear if you know of anything available. Thank you!"

And that's when he asked me if I was dead set on staying in Austin.

I don't think it could hurt me asking what he has to offer, personally, since I am unemployed and I really, really need a job.

Today I went to the grocery store around the corner and applied so that I can have something temporary. Yesterday I applied to Petco and Tractor Supply so I'm getting pretty desperate.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would just say something like...
"There is a possibility that I would consider relocating under the right circumstances. Could you please tell me more about the job, such as position, responsibilities, wages etc.? Thank you very much, I look forward to hearing from you"

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Monax, that was what I was trying to say, but it wasn't coming out right!

Also wanted to say that if I do move then that means that I can get another kitty since I will be paying for my place to stay and the boy won't, so he can't dictate the amount of cats I have *grin*

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Monaxlisa made a pretty good suggestion.

I would say, "I'm trying to be flexible in every aspect of my job search. More information would make it possible for me to judge just how flexible I can be."

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

"Howdy, this is Amanda from the TexAgs forum and you wanted me to send you an e-mail possibly regarding a potential job opportunity. I am still searching for employment and would love to hear if you know of anything available. Thank you!"

And that's when he asked me if I was dead set on staying in Austin.

I don't think it could hurt me asking what he has to offer, personally, since I am unemployed and I really, really need a job.
Ok, since you contacted him initially and asked him if he knew of any potential jobs, by the sounds of it he's a recruiter, not offering you an actual job. He's probably asking you if you are willing to move, so that he can pursue some leads for you.

I would simply write him back and thank him for contacting you. If you are willing to relocate, tell him that you are wiling to relocate if the right job came along. Ask him if he has any leads for you to pursue.

Never blow off a potential job lead.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's perfectly profession to ask details about where and what. And honestly, since you started your first email with "howdy", I don't think you really have to worry about how you word things. Not a criticism in any way but I don't think he really cares if things are worded "just so", you know? Seems like a pretty easy laid-back guy that may actually help you.

I would just send him an email like "Well, it depends on the job and where it's located. Could you give me more info before I answer your question?".

I mean, if it is a data entry position in Montana you probably don't want that. But, if it is a good position in your field then you NEED to know the area you're looking at and weigh the pro's and con's before you say you will relocate. And, he could have something that is outside of Austin that will either be a long commute (if you're up to it), or where you can still come home for the weekends. It's worth a shot.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Howdy" is the way we Aggies say hi to each other
But I emailed him on Friday and I'm awaiting a response now. I'll let you guys know what happens/what is said.