*****KatKwery - Sep 25*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only two winners. GoldyCat continued her streak using the word still and BelongsToEvie used enough. Price, aware, and nobody were not used. There is only one spot left in the playoffs. There is also a tie in points and there are some other things that can happen in the next six days.

Today's KatKwiz was about subscribed threads folders.

Do you have subscribed threads enabled? Do you ever use any of the folders associated with subscribed threads? Did you know where to turn them on or off before today? I keep all of my posts in folders so that I can easily find them; does this sound like more effort than it is worth? Are you ready for the playoffs?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Do you have subscribed threads enabled? Do you ever use any of the folders associated with subscribed threads? Did you know where to turn them on or off before today? I keep all of my posts in folders so that I can easily find them; does this sound like more effort than it is worth? Are you ready for the playoffs?
Okay, let's see if I can type with two cats competing for my attention and blocking my view of the computer screen!

This was a good Kwiz question! I do have the subscribed threads option enabled, so I get updates whenever a new post is made to one of those threads. I really like this option, especially for threads like the monthly photo contests. It's nice to be able to keep tabs on things without going to each individual forum page all the time.

I don't use the folders yet, but maybe sometime I will. I don't really see a need for that right now, though. I don't keep any of the threads I'm subscribed to except for the ones I started, so maybe I should create a folder just for those. I don't know. I guess I would easily have figured out how to move things to a folder when needed, if I had ever cared to try. I knew that option was there, but just haven't ventured to try it.

Well, as to whether keeping every subscription in a folder is too much work, I think it depends on the person. I can see why you would want to keep track of all previous Kwizzes and Kweries so that you don't double up some questions or use the same words over and over. For extremely organized people, keeping posts separated in folders would actually be more of a stress reliever than work as they hate having any clutter. I'm not extremely organized, but I do dislike an untidy inbox or desktop. So I can totally relate to the desire to keep everything neat and put away in its proper place!

Umm...I hope I'm ready for the playoffs. I feel a bit out of the loop since I haven't been participating much lately. I hope to get back into it now, until the playoff are over! I do enjoy playing, but I've been really busy lately. I'll have to carve out some extra TCS time so I don't miss out!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Goldycat and Jan
I had a bad feeling about yesterday's questions and answers. I should've known to just sit that one out. I was wondering if I would make it all the way to the end, but now that the last streak is over I feel like I can breathe easier

Yes, I do have my subscribed threads enabled. I figured out long ago, that if I automatically subscribe to anything I reply to, that it made it easier for me to go back and check to see if anyone else commented on a thread or post after me. I really like it and dont know what I would do without it! I especially like that you can get email notification of specific threads if you request it. I have noticed the folders associated with both the PMs and the Subscribed Threads, but have never tried them out until today. Today is the first time I used them. After reading the KatKwiz, I tried to figure out the steps, and when doing so I created a folder called KW and put some of my KatKwery subscriptions in there. When I did it, I clicked on "View all Subscribed Threads" then sorted by Thread/Thread Starter. From there I simply clicked on the check box that corresponded to the thread I wanted to move to my new special folder. Then I scrolled to the bottom where the default "move to folder..." was displayed in the drop down box, and I clicked on GO That was it. I didnt choose all the KatKwerys, but I wish I would've tried that function out before, because I can see where it would've come in handy a couple times in the past. But at least I know next time.

I do know where to turn my subscription option on or off at - just go to my User CP, to the Edit Options, scroll to the Default Thread Subscription Mode section - I have mine set to No Email Notification. So I think it's handy to be able to set all your subscribed thread to receive email in that Default Section, or just have one or two set to receive emails in the Subscription List section. I have deleted subscriptions before also just to try and clean up my subscription list.

I do think keeping ALL your posts or thread starters in their own folders is worth more effort than it's worth. Why would you do this when you can just click on the Find all posts by P&A or Find all threads started by P&A in your profile under the statistics tab? Unless I'm missing something here... It does sound organized though. And I thought I spent a lot of time doing things on TCS

Last question... Am I ready for the playoffs? Kind of, I guess. As ready as I'll ever be... Whatever will we do when it's all over?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

this topic sounds eerily familiar... anyway, i do have subscribed threads enabled, but not email notification. my TCS bookmark takes me to my subscription list. after checking all of those for new posts, i usually search for the KatKwery - altho today, i did this 1st. then, [& only then] i start looking at New Posts or checking out the arcade for new tournaments or whatever. i don't keep anything in folders, either - altho, w/5000+ thread subscriptions, maybe i should start! but oh, the headache of sorting all of those into appropriate folders!

btw - thank Persi for the decision!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I totally missed out on the KatKwiz today. Not that it made any difference. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have come up with anything resembling the correct sequence anyway.

Do you have subscribed threads enabled?
Yes. That's the simple answer. However, in the interest of my utilizing as many unique words as possible, you are now going to get the long drawn-out version. When I first joined TCS I set the options to receive instant email notification, but that got annoying very quickly. I went back in to "Edit Options" and changed the default to "no email notification." I thought at that point that I would have to scroll through all the forums to find any where I was expecting responses to my posts. I was surprised to find that new posts were showing up in my user CP, even when I didn't get an email. Apparently the default for no email does not include no notification at all. I don't see anyplace to actually subscribe to threads, only the choice for no subcription.
I don't recall what was showing in the menu before I chose email notification the first time. Okay, enough rambling. On to the next question.

Do you ever use any of the folders associated with subscribed threads?
Nope.

Did you know where to turn them on or off before today?
I had seen the menu item for folders, but didn't know what they were, how to set them up, or how to use them, or why I should. Can you tell I'm not a terribly organized person?

I keep all of my posts in folders so that I can easily find them; does this sound like more effort than it is worth?
Definitely more work than it's worth. If someone else wants to set up my folders and put the various threads in their proper places, you're welcome to do it. I might even use the folders in the future, if I ever think about it at the time I'm reading the threads. Otherwise, they tend to pile up, just like the paper mail on my desk.

Are you ready for the playoffs?
Ready. Set.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to go and set up my own folder for subscriptions because I had never done that. I still don't see why that's better than just going to User CP and it shows you new subscribed threads right there.
Maybe someone could give me an example how it's better.

Not sure I'm going to make it into the finals. However, I think today moved me up quite a bit!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Only two winners. GoldyCat continued her streak using the word still and BelongsToEvie used enough. Price, aware, and nobody were not used. There is only one spot left in the playoffs. There is also a tie in points and there are some other things that can happen in the next six days.

I do not have subscribed thread enabled. I know what threads I follow and don't really need to subscribe to them. I already knew where to turn them on by looking around the site for other answers to past kwizzes. I think it is more trouble than it is worth to keep all my posts in a special folder. As for the playoffs, I am as ready as I ever will be. I am not seeded very high but will do my best.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have no subscribed threads at this time but it is on for when I do use it! I just dont check my e-mail enough for it to be important really! I do have a few folders actually! I like doing the folders thing, its easier to keep track of everything, and I like to hold on to as many private messages as I can so I like folders!
I do know where to turn them on and off at, its in user control and thread options! Its not more of an effort if you know exactly where they are, if you go looking for something and you have 500 private messages to go through then its alot of work! I am ready for the playoffs! Im excited! Been looking forward to it forever!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I have no subscribed threads at this time but it is on for when I do use it! I just dont check my e-mail enough for it to be important really! I do have a few folders actually! I like doing the folders thing, its easier to keep track of everything, and I like to hold on to as many private messages as I can so I like folders!
I do know where to turn them on and off at, its in user control and thread options! Its not more of an effort if you know exactly where they are, if you go looking for something and you have 500 private messages to go through then its alot of work! I am ready for the playoffs! Im excited! Been looking forward to it forever!
Tell me how you put pms in a folder - so you can save them there, but have room in your inbox? Cool!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Marianjela

Congratulations Goldycat and Jan
I had a bad feeling about yesterday's questions and answers. I should've known to just sit that one out. I was wondering if I would make it all the way to the end, but now that the last streak is over I feel like I can breathe easier
Yay! Thanks Persi & Alley and Marianjela!
And congrats to Goldycat as well! See, told you you are awesome!
Marianjela, we're all glad you played that one! Hey, it's good to get the pressure off, like you said!

Nope, I don't have any subscribed threads enabled. I didn't know how to do it when I first joined, nor did I have much reason to. I really only used the site as a source of information, and mainly only searched for what I needed. When I couldn't find it, then I would post and ask, and with only one post very occassionaly, I had never thought about subscribing! Then as time went on and I participated more, I slowly adjusted to just remembering what I wanted to keep track of. So by the time I figured (thanks to KatKwery!
) that there was such a thing, I didn't really have a need for it. Maybe I will yet, eventually!

Now, as for using folders with the subscribed threads, since I don't use subscribed threads, well, I guess I don't use the folders, either.
When it comes to other things, like folders on my computer, I like to keep things very organized and sorted, but if I ever did here, I get the feeling I won't. Not sure why I think that!

Sure I knew where to turn them on and off before today. I read that on yesterday's KatKwiz!
That's what happens when I generally post a day later than everyone else...
Before that, I think I did! Honest! I never used it, so not sure I would have been able to do it, but I think I did.

Nah, I don't think it's more effort than it's worth. Because, hey, it's worth whatever you are willing to do!! You should see how I have my pictures on my computer organized. Only 6 main folders, then oh, any number of sub-folders and sub-sub folders and... You get the picture. I have them all named with the date and description. And, all the time I spend on that is worth it to me! Why, because that's how I want it. So if this is how you want your folders, of course it's worth it! But only if it is in your opinion, of course.

Am I ready for the play offs? No way! I'm scared!!
And very nervous.
I don't do well in the spotlight! But of course, I'm also very excited!!
If I stay in the rankings, I have a feeling I won't make it past round one.
Since, in these, I can write books and still I'm lucky to get just one word!
But in advance, I want to say, everyone is awesome! And I'm having a ton of fun, which is the only reason I'm playing!
And it will be fun to watch them pan out!!

So always, thanks to Persi & Alley for all the hard work!!