two cats having to meet a dog

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a problem coming up. I have two cats, one is 10 the other 9 years.
My mother will be coming to stay at my house for 4 months, and she has a
dog, small shitzoo. I am at a total lose as to how this will work out, as they have never been around dogs usually hide when they see one outside. By the way they only tolerate each other, they are not freinds. I really need help with this as this is their home and had the run of it for 10 years and I can't see making them stay in seperate area. I need some information on what to do.
Thanks, Ruth

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we got Bruno (my puppy) we set up the guestroom as the cats new room. We put their food, litter and favorite toys in there and added a baby gate with a cut out hole. This gave the cats a “Safe place†to run that the dog was unable to get into.

They pretty much use it now to take Bruno favorite toys and taunt him on the other side of the gate with them lol little buggers.

Just make sure your cats have somewhere safe. They will most likely hide for a bit until they get used to the idea of a dog.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree that if the cats own the house, then its not right to confine them. The dog should be crated for awhile or kept in your mom's room for the most part.

I would hope the dog is well trained. If not you will have a bigger problem in the house. The dog should be kept on a leash till the cats decide he/she will not eat them
Let the cats make the first move. And be sure to trim their nails.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Will agree that if the cats own the house, then its not right to confine them. The dog should be crated for awhile or kept in your mom's room for the most part.

I would hope the dog is well trained. If not you will have a bigger problem in the house. The dog should be kept on a leash till the cats decide he/she will not eat them
Let the cats make the first move. And be sure to trim their nails.
Well said.

May I add that shih'tzus are supposed to be no problem with cats. I got Jello when he was seven years old and I had 4 adult cats. Jello never knew cats but he got along well with them. He kept away when they wanted to be left alone and never made the first move.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If another animal is temporarily entering the domain of your cats, it should be confined. I am sure the pup is adorable, not to mention it is your mom, but you must stick to your guns in the manner of respecting your cats or not to mention the obvious negative interactions, they could develop some major negative behaviors in protest or stress from the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for your help. I think maybe the best would be to keep the dog in
my mother's room, even though that will be odd as they are very close to each other and always together. I will have to take the dog for walks, and go through the house. My mother is 92 years old and feisty, and the dog is
12 years. I know I am in for a lot of stress myself, I am not used to tension as will be with my two cats.
Thanks again