Problems with play aggression

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old Siamese kitten, Raymond has always been "frisky". For the first 5 months that I had him, I lived home with my parents, cat Stanley and dog Abby. Poor Stanley was the main target of Raymond's friskiness, and he became Raymond's default playmate. Now that Raymond and I have moved out, he obviously had to choose another playmate. He has become increasingly more aggressive towards people, especially one of my house mates, whom Raymond treats just the way he would treat Stanley, with relentless ambushes.

I know that this is not normal aggression, as I've dealt with truly aggressive cats before. I suspect that he was taken away from his mother and siblings too early (we aren't his original owners). It seems that he thinks biting is completely acceptable. He is also inclined to attacking feet and legs.

Since I know why he is acting this way, it is just so frustrating to not know how to stop this behavior. I know I could redirect it with toys and distractions, but is that really going to teach him that this behavior is unacceptable?

If anybody has any experience with play aggression, I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a second kitty. Now, they gnaw on each other. Constantly. As far as I can tell, it's just what kitties do.

Failing that, you can run a kitty flat out of gas letting it chase a laser pointer around the house. They go stark raving mad chasing that red dot of light.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. My problem is no longer that Raymond harasses Stanley, as we no longer live at home, Stanley is not in the picture. My problem is that Raymond has redirected his aggressive play towards humans. I have a laser light, but he's not interested, but suffice to say, he has many toys in which he IS interested. I just wonder if there is anything I can do to discipline this unwanted behavior.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I was hoping you'd reply, being "Siamese savy"! I will try some of those techniques, and ask my housemats to try them too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillie

Thank you! I was hoping you'd reply, being "Siamese savy"! I will try some of those techniques, and ask my housemats to try them too.
Yes, Bijou was quite the little ankle biter when he was a baby and I must say he has grown into a kind and gentle older kitty (he's 4). And, it was only me whose ankles he chased and grabbed!
I would stop immediately, say no in a firm voice, and hiss at him. He finally got the message. If you continue walking they think you are playing so they continue to chase and grab.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very very happy to hear that. Joyce (my old Blue Pt) was similar as a kitten, and ended up being the best cat I've ever known. Hopefully Raymond will shape up!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Bijou is easily the most amazing cat we've ever had. Even my not-so-crazy-about-cats hubby is really and truly nuts over Bijou. I've been married to him for over 30 years and I've never seen him like this about any other animal. We lost Bijou for 4 days last summer and my big, strong, handsome husband cried every night.

I think your Raymond will shape up beautifully.
Keep the pictures coming - we love pictures here at TCS.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We lost Bijou for 4 days last summer and my big, strong, handsome husband cried every night.

I think your Raymond will shape up beautifully.
Keep the pictures coming - we love pictures here at TCS.
That's eerie- When Joyce was younger, she went missing for 4 days too. She was hiding under a neighbors barn. Guess it's a blue point thing!!!

Here's Ray at the new house (My boyfriend detested cats quite severely- now him and Raymond are inseparable. All it takes is a Siamese to change the mind of a cat hater!!)

(My boyfriend's a Percussion Performance Major, hence the drumsticks)
and finally- My double entendre, Siamese Cat!