Patience

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just how much do you have?

I've found that for some things I can wait and wait, as long as it is because I decided to wait. Waiting on other people that should be running on a schedule, and that are getting paid $200+ per person to run on a schedule, on the other hand... not so much.

What sets you off and makes you want to yell and stomp out? (of course we never do this.
)

Mine was tested today. I was to show up at noon, check in, get my holter monitor put on and leave - I've had a these on before, it takes 5 minutes tops to stick the pads on, connect the leads, and turn the holter on (unless the batteries are dead). I waited for an hour as I was repeatedly skipped by people that showed up for appointments that were scheduled after mine.
DH and I had limited time and had to get to the pharmacy before it closed, too.

Guess I failed the patience test, after an hour I went up and told the nurse that I had to leave, cancel the holter and to cancel the October 8th follow up as it would be useless. Hopefully I'm just running sinus tach... Oh well.
Maybe my GP can help me out sometime after I have my surgery.

I was nice to the nurse, by the way. It wasn't her fault in the slightest, and I hope she says something to the doctor and his PAs.

The other thing that always annoys me is stores that don't hire enough cashiers or open enough checkout lines. There'll be two cashiers trying to handle 30 people, that's hardly fair to anyone. DH and I have put stuff back and left when there's lines like this.

Anyone else have any "I want to pull my hair out in frustration" type stories?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the situation. In some cases I have a great deal of patience. However, not so much when it comes to tedious really tedious things. I like to start a task and get it done, not feel like I'm not making any progress.

Waiting in a line of people where the people in front of me seem to take forever and a day to conduct their business drives me up the wall too. I'm the one standing behind you taping my foot, muttering under my breath and glaring at you while you dig out that penny from the bottom of your purse!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Depends on the situation. In some cases I have a great deal of patience. However, not so much when it comes to tedious really tedious things. I like to start a task and get it done, not feel like I'm not making any progress.

Waiting in a line of people where the people in front of me seem to take forever and a day to conduct their business drives me up the wall too. I'm the one standing behind you taping my foot, muttering under my breath and glaring at you while you dig out that penny from the bottom of your purse!
I'm on the next line over doing the same thing.
I personally like the days when I forget to take off the "Go ahead. Cut me off!" sign off the front bumper of my car.

I really had no patience. Now, I take meds for that.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would often get impatient when I worked as a cashier in a parking garage on campus. One semester I worked on a Saturday (Saturday shifts were alone, so I was by myself). Sometimes if my department knew that an event was scheduled they would put up another shift so that we could have two cashiers plus a pay on foot machine, where people could go pay it instead of paying us, the cashiers. Well anyway, one Saturday I was alone, and there was some kind of dance recital going on across the street on campus. When it let out there were I swear like over 100 people waiting in line to pay me. At one point in time I walked out of the booth and tried to explain that the line would move faster if people would use the 2 pay on foot machines that were right next to me as well as come to me, but no..they all came to me and looked at me like a deer in headlights when I told them that they could also use the machines to pay for their parking. I was very stressed out after that shift. I had one guy get mad at me because I didn't want to give him change for $100. Technically we weren't supposed to even take bills over $20. I hated that job. Everyone constantly yelled at me for no reason, but the good thing was its like they were trying to get a reaction out of you, so if you were really nice to them, then it seemed to make them madder. Niceness kills people, I guess.

That same busy day a lady at the end of the line had lost her parking ticket. I was already stressed out by then. Rules explicitly state all over the garage that if you lose the ticket you have to pay $15, which is for a whole day (24 hours) because we didn't know when you got there. There was a sign right in front of me that had the rule on it, but she continued to argue with me and tell me that she was a visitor so she didn't have to pay. Funny thing was that this was a VISITOR garage and everyone who parks in it has to pay unless they have a specific permit! It's the only place visitors could park on campus. Anyway she made me call my supervisor who was with her family at home and bother her and she talked ot her on the phone for about 5-10 minutes. My supervisor calls me back and tells me to just charge her for the time she got there. It always made me look bad when I abided by the rules but my supervisor tells me to go against them and not make her pay the $15 bucks. It makes me look like I don't know what I'm talking about and that happened more than a couple of times in the garage. I am so glad I don't work there anymore. Getting paid to get screamed at for no reason is not my idea of fun. I really lost my patience that day though.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on who or what I am dealing with. Most of the time I am fairly patient with friends, co-workers and family but there are certain people who just bug the living you know what out of me..
These are usually people whom I have already been patient with over and over again but they never get any better..people who are rude for no reason, or people who play dumb to get out of doing something they don't want to...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing that always annoys me is stores that don't hire enough cashiers or open enough checkout lines. There'll be two cashiers trying to handle 30 people, that's hardly fair to anyone. DH and I have put stuff back and left when there's lines like this.
You must have been shopping at Wal-Mart.

I really had no patience. Now, I take meds for that.

Ahhhh! The miracles of Xanaxx!

I used to have the patience of a saint, till I had a relationship with an abusive ex-b/f, and after working at Wal-Mart. Those two things occurred during the same time, and I guess it was too much for me to deal with.
I don't go balistic or anything like that, but I lose my cool a lot easier than I once did. I have panic attacks now, and need to take a Xanaxx when it gets bad enough.

I definitely have no patience for rude or inconsiderate people.

But I guess I have more patience than I thought, b/c I still haven't thrown Cassidy out the door yet, even though she still sometimes doesn't use the litterbox!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway she made me call my supervisor who was with her family at home and bother her and she talked ot her on the phone for about 5-10 minutes. My supervisor calls me back and tells me to just charge her for the time she got there. It always made me look bad when I abided by the rules but my supervisor tells me to go against them and not make her pay the $15 bucks. It makes me look like I don't know what I'm talking about
That's happened at a few jobs that I worked at. It used to really tic me off.
They tell you how to do your job and train you a specific way on how to deal with those kind of customers and you oblige them, then the supervisors turn around and change the rules on you and give in to the customer. It makes you look like an idiot, and the customer stands there with a smug look on their face..

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have almost Zero. coupe of weeks ago, i went to the window told the nurse, look, i have a job also, and have been sitting here for almost 90 min.

Then i saw my doctor, i asked him are you going to let me in the office or do i need to take my money to another doctor. I got in to see him 3 seconds later. lol

i have also hung up phones on people in stores, cause they where to busy chating with there friends then waiting on people in the store.

anywa the list is to long,

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I'm on the next line over doing the same thing.
I personally like the days when I forget to take off the "Go ahead. Cut me off!" sign off the front bumper of my car.
& i'm in the express lane, counting everyone else's stuff!
i hate when i forget to take off the 'go ahead, pull out in front of me & slow down' sign off of my car [i'm a chronic speeder - can't these people see me coming like a bat out of hell? just wait a minute & i'd be past!].
i actually threatened once to send my ex-doc a bill after i waited in his waiting room for over an hour, & the office staff said i couldn't go in to see him until after i'd paid my co-pay [yeah, they had instituted a 'pay 1st' policy]. i yelled at them - really yelled - they kept trying to quiet me down, too.
i had originally refused to pay ahead of time [on that visit only] because i felt the visit was unnecessary for a refill of a current med. i stated this at the time i made the appointment [when they told me i had to come in to see him in order for him to authorize the refill]. then they had the gall to ask for it anyway
that was my last visit. i switched docs. didn't send the bill, because when i got to the pharmacy, the refill had been authorized.
now, my students - i have loads of patience with them if they're really trying. however, if they're just complaining & not attempting to do the assignment, i have absolutely none.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Fuzzles
Working anywhere along on a Saturday night is tough. Everyone is in a hurry, they've all decided to be wherever they are at once, and even though they can tell you're about to have a mental breakdown from stress they still have the gall to make snide remarks about you being slow.

Originally Posted by theimp98

coupe of weeks ago, i went to the window told the nurse, look, i have a job also, and have been sitting here for almost 90 min.
You have 30 minutes more of tolerance than I do.
If one of my family calls me at work and I'm busy I hang up on them.

Originally Posted by KittKatt

You must have been shopping at Wal-Mart.
No, K-mart and a local grocery store. Management at both stores is awful so they can't keep anyone. Or maybe K-mart has some weird policy about not having more than one or two lines open at certain times of day even on weekends.

One thing I do have a lot of patience with is animals, they're about the only thing that is immune to my frustration. I can fake it with children and people at work.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My patience is tested when I'm in a store checkout line and the person ahead of me doesn't take their wallet out until the clerk is all done and given them the total. These people always seemed surprised they have to pay for their goods!! Then they want to fish change out from the bottom of their purses.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, K-mart and a local grocery store. Management at both stores is awful so they can't keep anyone. Or maybe K-mart has some weird policy about not having more than one or two lines open at certain times of day even on weekends.
Sounds like Wal-Mart to me.
Their management sucks, too.
K-Mart probably doesn't have enough cashiers b/c they can't afford to pay them. I'm surprised they're still in business.

One thing I do have a lot of patience with is animals, they're about the only thing that is immune to my frustration. I can fake it with children and people at work.

Animals rarely make me lose my cool, either. They're so sweet & innocent!
And children are innocent, too.
How can you get mad at them if they're doing something 'naughty'? They don't know any better till they're taught.

I've gotten to be pretty good at "faking it" when I'm out in public amongst the morons. It's a good thing they can't hear what I'm thinking.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very patient in some cases.
What really gets me is people that will not control their brats in public.I was leaving the grocery store earlier, and there was a woman with 2 small children, one of them screaming and blocking the exit because she wanted one of those little car shaped carts that you can strap 2 of them in. Her mother told her over and over that they did not have them and snatching her out of the aisle just long enough to not be able to get past them. I finally asked her "aren't you embarrassed?" and she smiled and said "no, she always acts like this." like it was cute. I said "well you should be embarrassed, you are a terrible mother and your kid is a spoiled brat." She moved it out of my way. I loaded my groceries into my truck and drove past the window, and she had still not gotten that brat strapped into a cart.
I also hate it when I am in the middle of paying for stuff and someone comes up talking and the cashier stops what she is doing and talks to them. Do that on your own time!
I wish every place had do-it-yourself checkouts. Most of my impatience comes during shopping.
I really hate shopping, and do it only when necessary.