*****KatKwery! - Sep 24 - one exciting week left*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surprise, I am posting this early. Let's see what happens.

Yam102284 secured a guaranteed slot in the playoffs by using the unlikely secret word comic. Never letting up, marianjela used same. And GoldyCat continued her win string by using attention. Notice and find did not score.

Today's KatKwiz was about premium membership.

Don't worry, I will not show up at your doorstep dancing a jig dressed up as an evangelist with a bucket for you to put money in. I promise. Just answer the questions, remember there are no correct answers and you are only trying to use the secret words.

Are you presently a premium member; why or why not? Now, answer that same question without once using the word money. Think about how much time you spend on TCS; suppose it is just two hours a week. Do you realize that would compute to less than a penny a minute to be a premium member? Actually, anybody playing KatKwery is probably on here at least an hour a day and the cost becomes well worth it, right? Well, right? Finally, do you think anybody put me up to this?

Come back and read this below after you have answered the above questions.

I will be sending a PM to all of you that are in the orchid or green areas of the standings - please respond right away so that the playoff dates can be finalized. There will be nine topics, each with ten questions. Here is one scenario that I am thinking of: Playoffs begin October 3. Each round has three days. So round one would be October 3, 6, and 8. I am avoiding the weekends because I see a great drop in participation on weekends. Round 2, which will have only four players, will be October 10, 13, and 15.
The finals, with two players, would be October 17, 20 and 22. Here is how one day would work to show you what I am talking about. On October 3, at 10:00 Central time, I post a topic and ten questions. You have 24 hours to respond with your answers. I now have time to check everybody's answers and on the 4th I announce the winners of the first game. If we play every day there is not time enough to allow you much time to come up with your answers and still allow me sufficient time to check them all. I cannot tell for sure but it looks like everybody would be from North America. Some I do not know, let me know so that the difference in time will not be problematic. OK, I am just rambling here, help me figure out the best way to hold the playoffs. All of the rules and such are in place but we need to make sure that everybody has the time to play. If not, I have already mentioned absentee voting in where I pm you the questions ahead of time.

The Kats had a special meeting last night and decided to keep the jackpot open until the end of the playoffs. 10% of all KatKwiz donations go to the KatKwery jackpot. So, amidst the excitement of the playoffs, you might just see the jackpot soaring to who knows where.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Are you presently a premium member; why or why not? Now, answer that same question without once using the word money. Think about how much time you spend on TCS; suppose it is just two hours a week. Do you realize that would compute to less than a penny a minute to be a premium member? Actually, anybody playing KatKwery is probably on here at least an hour a day and the cost becomes well worth it, right? Well, right? Finally, do you think anybody put me up to this?
Aw, gogensnot! (Anyone else play Sims?) I was just signing on to do yesterday's KatKwery, but I missed it!
Ah well, at least I stand a better chance of getting a word first!

Nope, I am not a premium member. Why not? Simply because it's costs money, and we can't afford to spend money on such things. In our family budget, we have x amount of money for pets. I am draining that entire budget for our fosters alone!
So for our real pets, we eat in to the other budget.
If I were to pay even a little for other "frivolous" pet things, hubby would make me quit fostering!
Not something I want to do.

Now answer that without money? Because we can't afford it! How's that?

Yes, I realize it doesn't cost much. But, as I said, I'm already spending about 5,000 times the amount of money on pets than I should be. My husband is nice enough to put up with me spending hundreds of dollars on our fosters- food, toys, litter, bedding, vets, you know the drill. Asking to add even one more dollar a month would risk his support in fostering, and I can't do it without his support!

I probably spend an hour a day on TCS, you are right. Only work days, though, and the occasional weekend when I have some cute pictures to share.
But, no, it doesn't become worth it to spend the money just to play KatKwery! I like this game, but I keep telling hubby not to spend more money on games that he doesn't need, I can't be hypocritical! If we had to pay for it, I probably just wouldn't be able to come on...
I love the site and all, but really, unless I stop fostering, I don't think I'd be forgiven if I spent money on it.

Oh, no, of course not! You are doing this out of the kidness and goodness of your heart and your desire to support this wonderful site.
And I'm sure Anne appreciates it greatly!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Real quick answers today, as I am heading out the door to pick up the kids.

Are you presently a premium member; why or why not?
No I am not currently a member. I have thought about joining several times, but it wasnt in the budget.

Now, answer that same question without once using the word money.
Actually, I did answer that question without using the word money. But I know what you mean, without approaching the subject of money. Actually, I like Kim's (kluchetta's) idea of gifting the membership. I actually had a genealogy subscription to Ancestry.com and it was gifted to me by my mother. The only way I could afford it at the time. However, I did go to the movies 3 times this week for my birthday. I suppose if I would've taken any of that money and spent it on TCS instead, I'd have my premium membership. Well, I would like that, but I dont think my children would've enjoyed it as much.

Think about how much time you spend on TCS; suppose it is just two hours a week. Do you realize that would compute to less than a penny a minute to be a premium member?
Most of my "extra" money goes towards the kids. The kids play softball, as of this year, I am actually the President of the Board. The kids also play soccer, basketball, volleyball and the list goes on. They bowl on Saturdays, one of them dances, the other is a cheerleader, the other takes karate. Not a lot of spare time around here. Like I said most of our finances after bills, goes to the kids. Mom doesnt even buy fancy shampoo for herself.

Not to mention the resources we make to our church, Make-A-Wish, Light the Night, which is part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and our local no-kill animal shelter. Mustnt forget the kitties

Actually, anybody playing KatKwery is probably on here at least an hour a day and the cost becomes well worth it, right? Well, right?
I actually agree with you. I would love a premium membership. For the avatar and extra email storage space along. Also to get a sneak peek into the private lounge
Someday.

Finally, do you think anybody put me up to this?
No, I dont think anyone (read:Anne) put you up to it. I think we have broached the subject a few times lately and it was time to address the subject. I think everyone probably has their own reasons, most of which probably involves money. I actually think the questions sounded like they were coming from my priest in his homily.

One day Lee... one day. Kim and I have a conspiracy going on

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you presently a premium member; why or why not?
No. I have more than one reason. Partly it's because I haven't gotten around to it. If you reread earlier posts you will see that I have considered it. The main reason is that I'm still trying to work it into the budget. Let me give you a little background. In the last 12 months I have remodeled my bathroom, replaced all the carpet in my house with tile, moved a wall to make my dining room bigger, and built a new retaining wall on two sides of my property. Actually, I paid someone else to do most of the work, hence the budgetary restrictions.

Oh, and let's not forget Goldy, the little stray who adopted me and then fell to bits (three fuzzy little bits). She hasn't cost me a lot so far, just the initial vet visit and a little food. No, make that a
LOT of food. Future expenditures will include spay/neuter for Goldy and three kittens plus shots for all four. Goldy didn't get her shots the first time because she was already pregnant.

Now, answer that same question without once using the word money.
Please note that I did not use the forbidden word in my answer to the first question. I just hope it's not one of the secret words as well as being verboten.

Think about how much time you spend on TCS; suppose it is just two hours a week. Do you realize that would compute to less than a penny a minute to be a premium member?
Math again. Nope, I didn't take the time to get out my calculator and run the numbers.

Actually, anybody playing KatKwery is probably on here at least an hour a day and the cost becomes well worth it, right? Well, right?
Well, maybe. If it comes down to buying food for Goldy (and Shareena . . . and Miss Patchwillow . . .and Iris . . . and Lion . . . and Cali) or paying for a premium membership on TCS, Goldy et al win hands down.

I've been spending far more time here recently than I can afford. Some day soon I must get off the computer and do some house cleaning. My mother is coming to visit this weekend. She doesn't mind if the house is not spotless, but I figure I should at least mop the kitchen floor so she doesn't stick to it. She's on her own for avoiding tripping over kittens. They aren't part of the clean-up.

Seriously, it is a great site and I've gotten a lot of support and good information to get me through my first time as a feline midwife.

Finally, do you think anybody put me up to this?
Nah! Not possible. You're a much stronger person than that. You're not so easily influenced.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i am a premium member - have been for about 2.5 years, i think? anyway, i joined one year because my income tax refund allowed me to. have done the same ever since - mainly to support the site, since at the time, there was no PL, or points, or username/usertitle modifications available. even the ads [which i have turned off] didn't really bug me that much. but i got so much support here when Mouse was ill, then died
- it was worth it to me to show my gratitude for such a wonderful place. i've never done the math [who would want to, anyway?
] to determine how much per minute my membership costs me. during the summer or on days off, i'm easily here 8 hours a day - even if not actively posting during that entire time... might be in the arcade, or whatever.
how's that - didn't use the forbidden word even once!

Come back and read this below after you have answered the above questions.
gonna do it all in one post - hope that's ok! [doing it even if it's not, tho...]

I will be sending a PM to all of you that are in the orchid or green areas of the standings - please respond right away so that the playoff dates can be finalized. There will be nine topics, each with ten questions. Here is one scenario that I am thinking of: Playoffs begin October 3. Each round has three days. So round one would be October 3, 6, and 8. I am avoiding the weekends because I see a great drop in participation on weekends. Round 2, which will have only four players, will be October 10, 13, and 15.
The finals, with two players, would be October 17, 20 and 22. Here is how one day would work to show you what I am talking about. On October 3, at 10:00 Central time, I post a topic and ten questions. You have 24 hours to respond with your answers. I now have time to check everybody's answers and on the 4th I announce the winners of the first game. If we play every day there is not time enough to allow you much time to come up with your answers and still allow me sufficient time to check them all. I cannot tell for sure but it looks like everybody would be from North America. Some I do not know, let me know so that the difference in time will not be problematic. OK, I am just rambling here, help me figure out the best way to hold the playoffs. All of the rules and such are in place but we need to make sure that everybody has the time to play. If not, I have already mentioned absentee voting in where I pm you the questions ahead of time.

The Kats had a special meeting last night and decided to keep the jackpot open until the end of the playoffs. 10% of all KatKwiz donations go to the KatKwery jackpot. So, amidst the excitement of the playoffs, you might just see the jackpot soaring to who knows where.
ok, well, after reading all of that... i guess there's nothing more for me to say! you've answered my question i posted in yesterday's Kwery, & that was the only one i had! since you & i are in the same time zone, i don't see a problem. if something comes up, i'll let you know [like, if i'm not going to be able to be here on one of the days - i don't foresee anything, tho]. btw, sent you a PM re:secret word yesterday...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i am a premium member - have been for about 2.5 years, i think? anyway, i joined one year because my income tax refund allowed me to. have done the same ever since - mainly to support the site, since at the time, there was no PL, or points, or username/usertitle modifications available. even the ads [which i have turned off] didn't really bug me that much. but i got so much support here when Mouse was ill, then died
- it was worth it to me to show my gratitude for such a wonderful place. i've never done the math [who would want to, anyway?
] to determine how much per minute my membership costs me. during the summer or on days off, i'm easily hear 8 hours a day - even if not actively posting during that entire time... might be in the arcade, or whatever.
how's that - didn't use the forbidden word even once!
Well, I've been battling a horrible headache all night, and I'm not really a headachy-getting person, so this thing is whooping me.

Anyway, I was going to say something earlier to the lines of, what is someone going to post about if they are already a member.

I think that only left one question relevant for that person to answer. And Laureen, you did a good job with it.

Using your income tax is another good idea for supporting the site. I think I missed the window of opportunity to ask for a membership for my birthday present since it just passed, but Christmas is just around the corner, and Kim has given me great ideas.
My mom is a good one for stuff like that since she has no imagination and pretty much just hands me the money to get whatever. Which I usually hate, because then I end up spending it on the kids instead.
And *I* wonder why I'm not a member yet. I hate justifying spending money on myself. Maybe I should buy a membership for my DH as a gift! Yeah!!! That's it!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Surprise, I am posting this early. Let's see what happens.

I am a premium member because I want to support the cat site. I don't think it costs all that much and if it keeps the catsite running, I am all for it. The money is not an issue with me. I spend more than the cost of a 3 month membership just in lunches at work. I stopped buying the lunches, which were way to expensive for the amount of lousy food that I got and have started bringing my lunch. I probably spend at least 30-60 minutes a day on here both before work and after work. If anyone put you up to it, maybe the Kats did. I don't think Anne would have done it.

Hopefully I will say a secret word so I can make sure and be in the playoffs and as soon as I get your PM Lee, I will answer it!