Sophie, my beloved rabbit, passed away last night.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved little blue holland lop rabbit, Sophie passed on last night
I am so sad about loosing her
She was such a sweet little thing.

(Just a little background- when I moved in with my husband a while back, I opted at my mom's request to let Sophie stay behind and live with my mom since she was quite bonded to her. Sophie was also extremly bonded to my mom's cat, Abilene...they were the best of friends. So she did not live with me, but I went and visited her often.)

Last night I went to my sister's house for dinner and my mom called me while I was there to tell me Sophie was panting and laying down funny so could I please come and look at her (i used to work as a vet tech). Since it was after hours for her speciality vet and the emergecy center (i know the people who work there) have no clue how to treat a rabbit, I told my mom i'd be over there in a few minutes. We hung up and then no sooner than I hung up the phone and grabbed my purse to head out the door, she called back and said Sophie just had a seizure, made a loud noise and died.

I called one of my good friends that still works for animal control and told her what happened- so she told me if i could get her body she'd make sure she was cremated and disposed of properly....so I went to my mom's house and picked up Sophie.

I examined her body a little bit before I wrapped her up and from what I could tell i'm pretty sure she had something internal going on that we just didn't know about until it was too late. (She had just been to the vet this week and had no signs that anything was wrong until about 5 minutes before she passed.) Sophie did have an infection about two weeks ago and she was put on antibiotics for that, but i'm wondering if perhaps the infection was just not being controled by the antibiotics and it spread to her other organs and inflamed them. My guess would be it inflamed the other organs and caused something to rupture and make her bleed internally....and that could cause septic shock and seizures if that's the case. It's just an educated guess though. I hate that I wasn't able to help her in time
My mom said that she was just fine yesterday- no signs of illness at all and she was hopping around everywhere and eating like normal. She didn't notice her feeling bad until right before she called me last night- she said it just hit her all of a sudden.

When I got to my mom's place, I took down all of her toys and things in her cage so my mom wouldn't have to look at it. Colin and I are going to go back one day this week and pick up the cage he built her too (it's huge) so mom won't have to see it everyday...I guess it'll be better that way. I hate that this happened though. I am very greatful however that my friend was able to meet me on my way home and pick up sophie's little body. (My mom didn't want to bury her and have to look at her grave everyday.)

Can I get a few vibes for my mom and I. This is just really hard on us, we just lost our sweet little wolf mix, Ginger back in June and now Sophie
I've been soo devistated over Ginger's death that I haven't even felt like posting a thread about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of my Sophie

Sophie and Abilene.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nikki i'm so sorry
I remember when i left home to be married and my mum rang me to tell me Tufty our family cat had died

Lots of calming for you and your mum.

Hop across the bridge Sophie and have fun

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

I lost my little rabbit Barney a few years ago, but when it happened it was such a shock for me. Then we had Buttons, and now she's the size of a house. But when the day comes that she passes, we won't have another

for you and your mom. I know exactly how you feel, and time is a great healer.

RIP Little Sophie, hop on over the Rainbow Bridge and have fun playing with Barney and all the other little bunnies

RIP

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry Nikki.
What a beautiful girl.
Rest In peace Sophie

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for your kind words
I appreciate them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.

Here is a hug for you and your Mom.

Rest in peace sweet Sophie.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone for your kind words
I appreciate them as does my mom.

I talked to her for a while on my way home from the gym tonight, she sounds like she's doing a bit better...so that's good. I gave all of Sophie's unused treats/toys/etc to my sister for my niece Taylor's ferrets & her little rat to have...so it's good we were able to repurpose those a bit.

I went to workout tonight with my friend Karen (the one who took care of Sophie's body for me) and she said that they cremated her today.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sending , &
for you & your mom, & a
for Sophie.
it's small consolation, but at least it doesn't sound like she suffered much...

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your bunny. She was SO cute. Take heart that she did not suffer a lot before she passed on. She will always be remembered by you and your mum.

Some calming vibes to help you and your mum get over your grief

Rest in peace, Sophie bunny

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a gorgeous little bunny she was. i'm so sorry and here are some loving for you and your mum at this difficult time.

RIP little sophie and precious ginger.