Are you home?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, what I mean is, do you live where you grew up?

If not, what do you miss most about your home area?

For me (a Denver native), I miss cool nights in the summer and the view of the mountains.

What do you NOT miss about your home area?

For me, -20 degrees F.

EDIT: Sorry, mods, I somehow got this in the wrong place. Could you move it to the Lounge, please?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'm a native of my state, altho i was born in the southern portion. my dad was in the navy - my sister was born in the PNW - Washington state, plus we also lived in California before moving back here. but we've lived [i include my parents, who still live nearby] in this general area since i was quite small - i don't remember living anywhere else.
so i currently live w/in about an hour's drive of my 1st remembered home - so i guess i'm home!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only spent a few months in my birthplace after being born, then visited for a few days when I was 7 years old and have not gone back. My parents were travelers so my birthplace was more like a stopover
so I don't miss anything about it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in Kentucky and lived there until I was 12 and we moved to Florida (after a short 6 month stint in Las Vegas).

I've been here every since

I miss Ky and having the season changes. Here in Florida it's warm and HOT and that's it

But I've grown roots here so I doubt I'll be moving anytime soon

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty close. Currently I live about 45 min. from the village where I grew up, but it's a big difference. Right now I live in the city - have to for work, but I grew up in the middle of nowhere and I miss the peace and quiet, the distance from your neighbours, and the sense the weekends were just a bit longer than they are now.

On the upside, DH and I have decided we'll move up there again as soon as we can afford for one of us to not have to work.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I was born in South Carolina and lived there for a while. Now I live in Maine. I lived in a pretty populated town when I first moved to Maine for most of my schoool years and now live about 45 minutes or so from there, a little more in the middle of no where! I don't miss living there. It was always too loud and too many people. I like it much better out here. The only thing I do not like is bad winters in Maine! But we make it through.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still in the same city I was born in and haven't lived anywhere else. I saw this town grow up and expand.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still right in the same area

I was born in Cleveland and I've steadily moved south, but I'm still only an hour from Cleveland

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was born and raised in Indiana and now live in New York State.

I miss being able to see the horizon and the openness of the area in Indiana.
I don't miss tornado warnings and heavy snow.

I love the mountains and the Hudson River, it's beautiful here.
I like being able to watch a heavy rain and not being afraid, it's more electrical storms here and not wind events, unless it's a Nor'easter.

We just got back from vacation back to Indiana to see family, it's great to go back there and then it's great to come back here.

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was born and still live in Tampa, Florida. I can't wait to get out of here. I'm tired of all the humidity and the heat, not to mention only having one season. With the housing costs and the insurance costs associated with owning a home, we won't ever be able to afford a home here.

DBF and I are planning a move to Colorado in the next 2 years (after I graduate college). We're tired of the flat lands and want to move to the mountains where we always vacation.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live 10 minutes from where I grew up and where my Mother still lives.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'm about 25-30 mile from where i was born, so it's not that far really
That's it for me as well. In fact my older sister lives in the family home where I was raised..We still have many of our family get togethers there. The house itself has been in the family since 1870 when my paternal great-grandparents built it. So we have quite a history in the area, although the local cemetery is a community cemetery I am most likely in some way related to about 3/4 of the people resting there..

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived in Southeastern Indiana all my life, though I've lived in a couple different towns. I'm happy where I am and don't miss the old towns at all.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out for college a few years ago and only go back to visit, mostly my horse
I'm only 45 minutes from home so the climate isn't any differnt, other than 1 or 2 degrees colder

I miss the fact that it was a bigger town, 8,000 people and there was a Hy-Vee open all night. Now I live in a town of 2,000 people, no Wal-Mart, no Hy-Vee.....NOTHING open all night.

I don't miss the higher rates of crime though. Nothing really happens in this town that people (teenagers) don't get caught for. It's kind of nice.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still living in the same house that my parents and my siblings moved to when I was 8 months old....I am now 22 years old!

I do plan to move out soon though...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No

Home for me is the Seattle area. I now live in Colorado.

I miss:
- how green it is
- seeing water everywhere
- the rainy weather (honestly)
- the mild winters
- cultural diversity
- people who know how to pronounce 'puget sound'
- seeing mount rainier
- being able to drive a few hours to go to the 'real' coast
- being so close to canada

I don't miss:
- earthquakes
- traffic

Colorado is pretty but it's so dry and open and yellow (unless you are up in the mountains, obviously). There are lots of pine trees and aspen in the mountains but it's not the same as evergreens. There isn't the same type of urban sprawl that you have in Western Washington, so when you leave one town and drive to another, you know you are in a different town. It makes driving somewhere feel like it takes forever, but I can see why city planners want that.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Yonkers, NY and I really don't miss much about it except that we lived with a great view of the Hudson and we could hope on the train to go to NYC.

I did spend summers in the Catskills and I miss the lovely woods, the stream, the other summer tourist friends, etc. My family lives there year-round now and I still love it.

I don't miss the weather in either place. The Bay Area wins in that respect.