*****KatKwery! - Sep 23 - only 8 more days*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Imagine, there were 180 days when this started. But then I went and almost died, losing about 30 days. But still, 150 days has come down to 5 members already secured in the playoffs and five more fighting for the last three positions.

GoldyCat continued to win by using search(ed). Mathematically GoldyCat is still in this. There is also one member who may not be playing. This may go to the very end. Marianjela, who cannot be ousted from first, continues to play and won 700 more points by using look. Glitch is back, just making sure of her second place position by using shop. Possible was used but did not score points and great did not get used.

Today's KatKwiz was about fonts.

Right now I am composing a posting and I have 21 different fonts that I can use while composing this posting. Do you ever use anything other than the standard Verdana font when posting or answering posts? Or, did you even know that you were using a Verdana font? In my username you can see I am using a special font, or can you? As a premium member, I can pay to have this special font, do you know how much I paid (in points) for this honor? There are only eight days left; do you have any special tactics you will be using in the playoffs to use the secret words?

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Right now I am composing a posting and I have 21 different fonts that I can use while composing this posting. Do you ever use anything other than the standard Verdana font when posting or answering posts? Or, did you even know that you were using a Verdana font? In my username you can see I am using a special font, or can you? As a premium member, I can pay to have this special font, do you know how much I paid (in points) for this honor? There are only eight days left; do you have any special tactics you will be using in the playoffs to use the secret words?
No, I never use anything other than the standard Verdana font when writing or answering posts. I've seen that you can change the fonts, but I have never really gotten around to it when writing posts. Usually I'm in a hurry to get off the computer and just want to make a quick reply to a post, so I don't have time to change the font.

I did see that you have a different font in your username - is that Comic Sans MS? I can't really tell the different fonts without looking at each one, so I might be wrong. I don't know how much you paid for your special font in your username, but I'd be interested to know.

I don't really have any special tactics that I will use if I make it to the playoffs. Just write a lot and hope I use enough of the secret words. I'm not that good at it though, compared to some people, but I'll try my best

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know... I had half of a typical response typed up for this thing and wouldnt you know somehow it up and disappeared. I clicked from one tab to the other to check on prices...and boom - when I went back - it was gone. Just Lee's quote was there. Which is peculiar since I had deleted most of his post and left only the questions....

Very funny indeed.

Anyway. I give up for now.

But just so you know...

Marian wuz here!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Imagine, there were 180 days when this started. But then I went and almost died, losing about 30 days. But still, 150 days has come down to 5 members already secured in the playoffs and five more fighting for the last three positions.

GoldyCat continued to win by using search(ed). Mathematically GoldyCat is still in this. There is also one member who may not be playing. This may go to the very end. Marianjela, who cannot be ousted from first, continues to play and won 700 more points by using look. Glitch is back, just making sure of her second place position by using shop. Possible was used but did not score points and great did not get used.

I never use anything other than the one that comes because I havn't quite figured out if there is a cool guy way to save it to the font you want and not use the standard font it uses! I knew what kind of font I was using, but I honestly have no idea the names of the different fonts so its very confusing to even try to figure some of the different ways of writing things out! Even though I dabble at html it is still tricky! I know there is a handy dandy font thing in my post option and it would be conveinent to use it but I really like the idea of knowing the exact html wording to post it so I dont have to keep going up and selecting the one I need and having it put in for me! I have no Idea how much you paid to get the option of special fonts, for some reason I though they were all in the post as an option! I changed the font for my username but have never changed the font for posts! I also have 21 options but have no idea because Im pretty sure it didn't cost me any points to add this, unless when I changed my user title that counted!

I have no special tactics for scoring points and using the secret words, I have a strange feeling that I will not be winning the katkwery superbowl but I will try anyway! So my thing is to be the first person to post as often as possible with my work schedule and children and when I think of stuff use the edit button to edit the post to add new information later on during the day! If thats allowed during the katkwery superbowl! Im looking forward to the challenge of the game and the ability to get points for more than one word that is used! I almost think I should start a bet and bet 5000 points that marienjela will win and see if anyone else will bet against me and maybe make some extra points also! It would be fun but katkwery and katkwiz is always fun! So once again, thank you for the points, Ive had an awful day (thread in the private lounge) so I dont know how much I can handle to be on today! But Ill try my best to get some gold ribbons!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I know there are various fonts available, but I haven't paid attention to which one is the default. I've never taken the time to change fonts or font sizes since I already spend far too much time at the computer composing and posting messages.

I can see the special font in your user name. However, I was not aware that you had to pay for it. I'm not sure it's possible to find out how much the font costs unless you're a premium member. I did find a thread that tells how to purchase a font. It has a screen shot that indicates the cost is 2,450 + 3.25% tax for a total of 2,605.51. I have to idea whether that is a real price or simply a number that was put in as an example.

Playoffs? Yikes! If I do manage to claw my way into the top eight I could very likely be facing off against marianjela for the first round.
Not the most enviable position. The only strategy I have in mind is to use as many different (unique) words as possible. For example: instead of repeating the word "ask" three or four times I would attempt to substitute synonyms such as "inquire", "question", "query", "request", or "quiz" (you like that word?
).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

yes, i always use the Trebuchet MS font in size 3 to post in. the larger size is easier for me to read [old eyes!] & i like the Trebuchet MS font better than Verdana. however, that font in the standard size is actually a bit smaller than the Verdana - here's an example. here's Verdana in the standard size to compare. i like the look of fixed sys on my home system - but that's because i have it set to display unsupported fonts in Papyrus [my favorite font, & the one my username is in] & since i have a mac, fixed sys is considered unsupported. i can tell you have a special username font, but i can't tell which one it is [at least, not here at home]. i can't remember how much the font/color options for username & usertitle are - & i can't see it anymore due to some issues earlier this year. good thing i like mine just the way it is, huh? i have no special tactics, other than just writing what i'm thinking - which has served me well thus far, considering i'm in 4th place, but have only won [i think] 2 KatKwizzes - all the rest of my points have come from the Kwerys! hey, got a question, tho - will there be a time limit? in other words, will we have a full 24 hours to post responses to the questions posed, or less?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I never use anything other than the one that comes because I havn't quite figured out if there is a cool guy way to save it to the font you want and not use the standard font it uses!
if there is one, glitch, i've never found it. i have to change my font & size for every post i make. i always go to the advanced option, where i can use wysiwyg editing, because that makes it easier.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, let's try this again. Lee, thank you again for the points. To everyone that has secured their place in the Playoffs, congratulations; to everyone still battling for seed position - good luck!!! Only one more week after this, I look forward to seeing it play out!

Next I want to say congratulations to Ms. Freya for winning today's KatKwiz. It was exciting to see a newbie with so few points win and set another record, especially considering I didnt think the answer was that easy. So I was impressed!

Personally, when I went looking for the answer (even though I cant win, I still look so that I know what I'm typing about in the KatKwery later) the first place I looked was in the site's official FAQ. Then I went looking in the User CP, although I was sure it wouldnt do me any good since I'm not a premium/paying member. The last place I looked was in the forums. DUH Even though I know the Kwiz has taken us to the How-To and FAQs in the TCS Support/Announcements Forum before. Guess my brain wasnt working, which might explain how I lost a thousand word post

Anyway, on to the Kwery. I have never changed my font in a post or thread until today! Never say never, right? I always just type and submit, sometimes throwing in a smiley or two, but I guess I'm usually to lazy. I cant think of any other excuse. Or I wonder if it matters to anyone else what font I'm using. I am pretty sure I have changed the color of the font I was using here and there a couple times. And the size - like my graffiti post!
So, I was aware that the default font was veranda, I've seen it around the boards before. I think it's interesting that the fonts we have available to us to use in posts is the same fonts the premium users can purchase to customize their username or title. Hmmm, if I would've realized that, it sure would have made counting the number of fonts a lot easier

Ugh, I know I used different words earlier. Will my brain fart affect my streak?

Not to mention, that I a, now sitting here typing with one hand because Joshua woke up crying. Well, he's asleep now.... so is my right arm.

OK, what else? Trying to remember what I said earlier.... I'm gonna have to come back - this one handed thing is too hard...

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just use the basic font. I didn't know that it was a veranda font but I just like to post and don't worry about what font it is. I know that you have to be a paying member to have a font in your user name and I know for a fact that it costs 1750 plus tax making it 1861.08. If I make the finals, I don't think I will use any special tactics. If I use the secret words I use the secret words. If not, oh well. At least I tried

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, I'm back. I was thinking, when I write in my blog, I usually dont change the font there. And reader's only know it isnt because I am being lazy and boring because I can spend hours on there just formatting and tweaking one single post to look just right. The reason I dont like changing the font on my website is for uniformity. I like to keep it neat and clean looking. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Veranda is a nice font; although admittedly, Comic Sans MS is one of my favorite that we have to choose from.

Which brings me to the next question, your username. Yes I can see that you have a personalized font, and I am aware that it is a privilege you earned by becoming a premium member. Well, you earn the right to purchase the fonts and special effects. Of course I know how much you paid for it. I did my homework before the Kwery was even posted and read the FAQ - Points, the Bank and Shopping thread over in the Support Forum. In fact I think that was my downfall earlier. I was flipping between the two threads so I could write down the correct numbers, but somehow in between doing that, I lost my first verbose reply. So here I am again, only this time GoldCat beat me to it. I'd like to meet this lady
I think she thinks a lot alike me

I also had the base price of 2,450 listed with the imposed 3.25% tax and the total price of 2,605.51. Almost word for word. And I was also going to say, that I hope that price hasnt changed since the FAQ was posted because I think that the gift price has.... or I take that back. I think the gift price in the FAQ is actually the paying member cost.

If and when I ever join the site as a paid customer, I would definitely take advantage of the benefits it offers. I am most envious of those with the larger avatars and every time I see my PM box at 90-some% I always tell myself I have to join soon so I can get a larger mailbox!

So with 8 days left, my tactics are the same as they have been. Though I dont know if I should be giving out my ancient Chinese secrets!
Just kidding of course. Not that I think anyone is actually reading through my novels anyway
But, it is no secret that I have a database full of EVERY KatKwery Lee has posted. There were 135 of them including today. I keep the questions sorted with the secrets words and have them listed with all the winners. I havent read through them all, but the ones I have, I am trying to get inside Lee's DW's head to see if I can think what she thinks when she chooses a word. LOL I admit. Sometimes even though the question and the secret word sit side-by-side, I still dont understand the logic. So I dont think that helped me. I have also tried to figure out the word frequency, but in the end I think that will do more harm than good because I think he is going to keep this contest fresh. So my strategy is to just type the whole dictionary. So unless he uses a different language, I am sure to hit on the words.
Just kidding of course

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if there is one, glitch, i've never found it. i have to change my font & size for every post i make. i always go to the advanced option, where i can use wysiwyg editing, because that makes it easier.
Really? I hit reply and I have a button that I can hit that removes text formatting, then next to it is one that says font, then size, then color then smileys, the paperclip and the undo and redo! Underneath of that is bold, itialic, underline, crazy centering things, things to put lists in, and just a bunch of stuff!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Not that I think anyone is actually reading through my novels anyway
i do!
Originally Posted by glitch

Really? I hit reply and I have a button that I can hit that removes text formatting, then next to it is one that says font, then size, then color then smileys, the paperclip and the undo and redo! Underneath of that is bold, itialic, underline, crazy centering things, things to put lists in, and just a bunch of stuff!
glitch, do you have wysiwyg editing enabled?
i think it's done somewhere under User CP. can't remember exactly where, tho...
okay, found it. under User CP, then under Edit Options, scroll almost to the bottom. under Miscellaneous Options, there's a drop down menu titled Message User Interface - choose Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing, then save changes. see how that works for you.
it works for me at school w/Firefox & IE, & works at home on the mac w/Camino. didn't work on my old mac, tho, so it might depend on how old your PC's OS is.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But, it is no secret that I have a database full of EVERY KatKwery Lee has posted. There were 135 of them including today. I keep the questions sorted with the secrets words and have them listed with all the winners. I havent read through them all, but the ones I have, I am trying to get inside Lee's DW's head to see if I can think what she thinks when she chooses a word. LOL I admit. Sometimes even though the question and the secret word sit side-by-side, I still dont understand the logic. So I dont think that helped me. I have also tried to figure out the word frequency, but in the end I think that will do more harm than good because I think he is going to keep this contest fresh.
OMG I hope that is not true. You are one scary woman!

As far as the font thing, I sometimes used to post in Smudges Cafe with different fonts for different cats, but really, I just don't seem to have the time to do all that fancy stuff. I love my fancy user name, though. And I have been a paying member for two three month stints, and I really liked it. But I just couldn't justify the expense. Marian, are you in Secret Santa? maybe your Santa could get you a membership! I LOVED it that I didn't have to pick through my inbox all the time and delete messages. Maybe we should get that for each other for Christmas!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OMG I hope that is not true. You are one scary woman!

As far as the font thing, I sometimes used to post in Smudges Cafe with different fonts for different cats, but really, I just don't seem to have the time to do all that fancy stuff. I love my fancy user name, though. And I have been a paying member for two three month stints, and I really liked it. But I just couldn't justify the expense. Marian, are you in Secret Santa? maybe your Santa could get you a membership! I LOVED it that I didn't have to pick through my inbox all the time and delete messages. Maybe we should get that for each other for Christmas!
Yep, it's true
But it started out as me trying to figure out what my winning streak was because what Lee had and what I had were two different things. Not that it really mattered, but I am a database obsessed person. A few people who 'know' me on this site, might know I also belong to a childhood cancer support group. About three years ago I started a database of the kids, their website, birthdays, diagnosis dates, etc, just so I could have it handy if I needed to look something up or was talking to someone. It has since grown into hundreds of names. And I mean over 500 children. I guess I am OCD that way...

Anyway, no - I am unfortunately not in the Secret Santa thing, I found the thread too late. (why did you pull my name?)
Better luck next year! Although, I do think the membership thing for each other sounds great!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

I did my homework before the Kwery was even posted and read the FAQ - Points, the Bank and Shopping thread over in the Support Forum. In fact I think that was my downfall earlier. I was flipping between the two threads so I could write down the correct numbers, but somehow in between doing that, I lost my first verbose reply. So here I am again, only this time GoldCat beat me to it. I'd like to meet this lady
I think she thinks a lot alike me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

hey, got a question, tho - will there be a time limit? in other words, will we have a full 24 hours to post responses to the questions posed, or less?
If my suggested dates are OK with all the players, I will post the ten questions for that day at about 10am Central time. I think 20 hours would be sufficient to answer so that I can get up the next morning and have some coffee and go through the answers and hopefully have the winners posted that (following) morning. BTW, I answered your pm regarding your use of the word found. Persi reminded me that we made a decision on this before: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tense
so you are going to get credit for you use of the word which means you are in a virtual tie with luvmycat1 but she has the higher seed right now.
Does being third or fourth mean anything? Only if you had to play her later and you can find out if it is possible that you would play her by looking at the chart I have in KatKwery Information below. Looking at the chart you can see that it is possible you and luvmycat1 would play for the championship, so the seed between you two is highly important and there are only six more days.