1/2 Bengal & Colors Coming In At 14 Weeks

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sport is 1/2 Bengal. Bengal's color's do not develop until they are between 8 and 12 weeks old, and do not come in fully, for up to 4 years. For most Bengals, color is at abput 90% by the time they reach one year of age. Sport will be 4 months on October 3rd. He is beautiful...check out how his colors are starting to come in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

He's adorable
, how do you know he's 1/2 bengal?
Gene mapping....my vet is awesome!!!! We were curious, because he has Kleinfelter's Syndrome. He is a tri-color male (XXY Chromosomes). His Father was a Bengal and his mother was a Calico. He had a "mirror twin" brother (also Kleinfelter's Syndrome) and a calico sister. Thanks for the kind words, and the interest in his breed.

Peace,
Rob & Sport

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The markings on his side look nothing like bengal patterns, maybe his dad was a tabby?

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

The markings on his side look nothing like bengal patterns, maybe his dad was a tabby?
My vet did a gene mapping on him because he has Kleinfelter's Syndrome....an extra X chromosome...allowing him to be a tri-colored male. This is how I know that his father was a bengal, and his mother was a calico. He had a twin brother and a calico sister.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could the vet detect ALC genes? How can you tell the breeds of cat involved in a cat's ancestry with gene mapping? Would it work for entirely domestic cats?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Sport is a very Beautiful boy! You can see he is a very happy little guy and very well taken care of!!!

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

Could the vet detect ALC genes? How can you tell the breeds of cat involved in a cat's ancestry with gene mapping? Would it work for entirely domestic cats?
You can tell for any cat, if you have an idea of what you are looking for.(Bengal, Toyger etc.)...and remember, he is only half, so the stripes on his side may not fully look like bengals....or, the may not have come in yet, he is only 3 and a half months old, and bengal colors and not complete until 4 years in some cases.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I think Sport is a very Beautiful boy! You can see he is a very happy little guy and very well taken care of!!!
Thank you so much, after all, that is ALL that matters. The debate is ridiculuos. If our other friend is one of those that must always be right....fine, you're right and I'm wrong. Do you feel better now? Sport is still going to be loved and cared for as much as before.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's my favorite little guy!!
Oh, I loved him from those pull up pics, and you can still that darling little personality shining through, can't you??
And look how big he is getting!!

I love that last pic, he's got that "Who, me??" look going on.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable, but just because he has tabby markings, it doesn't make him a Bengal, and I have seen young Bengals with very striking markings from the breeders on here.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

He is adorable, but just because he has tabby markings, it doesn't make him a Bengal, and I have seen young Bengals with very striking markings from the breeders on here.
I realize this, however, when we took a picture of his DNA, and compared it to the DNA of a Blue Bengal...one of many kinds of bengal...we were able to positively conclude that his father was a Blue Bengal. I don't know how more positively sure one can be...other than a DNA map..???

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have a nice kitten. Anything is possible, but I'm very doubtful he's 1/2 bengal or even part bengal. Mind you, just my opinion as a breeder.

If you don't mind, please explain why your Vet thinks that Kleinfelter's Syndrome has anything to do with bengals and tri-colored males. Kleinfelter's Syndrome's principal effects are development of small testicles and reduced fertility in humans.

I've been breeding bengals for 11 years and never heard of this, so I'm very interested in what your Vet has to say.

Thanks!

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I think you have a nice kitten. Anything is possible, but I'm very doubtful he's 1/2 bengal or even part bengal. Mind you, just my opinion as a breeder.

If you don't mind, please explain why your Vet thinks that Kleinfelter's Syndrome has anything to do with bengals and tri-colored males. Kleinfelter's Syndrome's principal effects are development of small testicles and reduced fertility in humans.

I've been breeding bengals for 11 years and never heard of this, so I'm very interested in what your Vet has to say.

Thanks!
My friend....I'm not trying to be snotty, but Kleinfelter's Syndrome has Everything to do with being a tri-colored male. The color gene for felines is carried on the X Chromosome. http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml http://fanciers.com/other-faqs/colors.html The Only way for a male cat to have 3 different colors is for him to have Kleinfelters Syndrome. Only 1 in every 3000 male cats is Kleinfelter Positive. We drew his blood, took a picture of his DNA, and compared it to his mother...his sibblings....and the "textbook picture" of the DNA of various purebreeds...Toygers, Bengals, etc... and concluded 99.9999999% that his father is a Blue Bengal.