Blood in Urine - Part III

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Argh! I'm so frustrated! This seems to be the problem that never goes away. Buster has been struggling with some unknown urinary infection for over a month. Each time we think it is solved, the blood comes back. I don't know what to do anymore. I've spent over $2000 and I'm going into debt because of the vet bills.

Anyway, Buster was in the ICU for two days two weeks ago for a partial blockage. There were no crystals or infection in the culture, so the vet suspected it was a mucous plug or blood clot. He sent me home with a two week supply of Baytril and Phenoxyzamine. The blood cleared up pretty fast.

Unfortunately, the blood in urine returned this morning. It wasn't heavy blood but it was definitely noticeable. I took him to the vet again and she said there wasn't a blockage because he urinated normally. However, she gave him two rounds of sub-q fluids along with a shot of Prednisone. She feels that the main focus should be on the inflammation because there isn't any evidence of an infection. She feels pretty confident that the Prednisone (along with six more days of Baytril) will solve the problem. We have a follow-up appointment on Saturday with an additional sub-q.

I am really stumped and don't think I can afford anything else at this point. I wanted to consult with the vet who does ultrasounds but I can't afford $300+ more dollars.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I am in tears because I can't afford my bills.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had a cat with this issue, a radiograph showed partially blocked ureters. She had calcium oxalate crystals when we got a ua then, but later samples were free of crystals--but she still had the partial blockage.

Have you done a radiograph? I'd think that would be included in your $3k, but since you don't mention it...

I did sub-q fluids at home, and we treated regularly with zenequin (for 2-4 weeks at a time) and occasionally metacam for inflammation.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful with the pred. Two of Cocos bladder infections were caused by a depo Shot. Like your cat she had blood for a long time. Can your Vet take payments.
I didnt get charged for Cocos last ultrasound because I have a high vet bill.
A ultrasound will yell you alot though. I hope he feels better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to meet with a radiologist but I can't afford it at this point. I am seriously in debt with the bill that have amassed during this month. I think an ultrasound will cost $350.00 but I may have to do this if the blood doesn't clear up.

The vet wanted me to have sub-q fluids everyday but I can't afford that either. Plus, I couldn't do it at home alone. It takes two vet techs to do it at the clinic. The vet suggested Metacam but I said no after reading some bad stuff about it on various cat boards. I'm crossing my fingers that the Prednisone works!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not use Metacam either after all the bad things I heard about it.
What about Buperprex?
Coco was given that before.
I know its spelled wrong.
We are broke right now but I may get some money from ahouse we sold soon.
If I get the money soon I can loan you some.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A radiograph should only cost $30-$60--much less than an ultrasound--and may answer all your questions. Your regular vet can do a radiograph. If there are questions, your local vet teaching hospital should have a board-certified radiologist on staff that can review the films for free/for a small fee.

Fluids can be purchased inexpensively online or at your local vet supply place. I think I was paying $7 for a liter of normolsol-r and perhaps $3 for the infusion set. Perhaps a friend could help you with fluids a couple times a week?

I did not have any problems with cautious use of metacam. Prednisone carries significant risks as well.

I feel your financial pain--I think I'm funding my vet's kid's college education--but a radiograph and more sub-q fluids is where I'd go next. Regardless, it sounds like you need more diagnostics to figure out what's going on with your kitty cat. (I would also treat with antibiotics for a *length* of time--I've honestly never had a vet advise less than 2 weeks for urinary issues--but I've also never had a vet use baytril for urinary stuff, so idk.)

What is your kitty eating?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baytril works for urine infections.
Coco took it last time after being on 4 bottles of other meds.
My vet always uses antibiotics for 2 weeks.
Coco needs them 2 months everytime she gets the bladder problem.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your input. If the blood doesn't clear up, then I'll definitely have to consider an ultrasound or x-ray. The x-ray at my vet is pretty expensive - about $125 for the picture and $48 for the interpretation. The ultrasound is probably twice as expensive.

The vet ordered me not to feed dry food to Buster anymore and he is heartbroken. It makes me so sad to watch him sleep in front on his nonexistant dry food bowl. He has been sitting/sleeping in that area for hours since arriving home from the vet

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dante had an ultrasound of his bladder when he was having litter box issues - the original urine sample had some 'indeterminate debris' in it, so this was another check. It really wasn't that expensive at my vet -like $50 including the reading, if I remember right. I remember thinking at the time (2 years ago) that it was going to be hundreds, but it wasn't. Now, my vet has that equipment in their lab, so maybe that may help the cost as well.

good luck to you!

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other thing you may want to consider adding to his food is kitty cosequin. It can be very helpful in cats that have bladder irritation. Here is some info: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...in_cat_FAQ.asp

You vet is price gouging on the radiograph
$125 per film is RIDICULOUS. I just had abdominal rads done on my 70 # dog, plus a fecal, antibiotics, a day stay at the clinic and W/D to go home with and my bill was right around $200 for everything.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco Ultrasound las Nov was 75 but I know it has gone up. The Vet didnt charge me for her last Ultrasound which was in May or June. She still gets both kinds of food and so does Midnight who hasnt had the problem in 2.5 years now. The Xrays for my other cat that died was 150. They never charge to read it.
Of course my Vet is one of the best in the area.
I can see a Xray being that much in the Bay Area.
My old vet over there chrges more then that even.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the problem persists, then I'm going to call UC Davis. I'm wondering if they have a low-cost program since it is a teaching veterinary school. It's about an hour drive but I think it's worth it.

Let's see if the dry food elimination diet works.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of the vets that I've seen over the years also attended UC Davis. I checked their website and their prices are comparable to private practice vets, so I won't be saving any money.

Anyway, Buster seems to be doing great! That prednisone shot seemed to do the trick. The blood is gone from the urine! Hopefully, it's a long-lasting effect because I don't want him to become dependent on that treatment in light of the side effects.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent news!

Prednisone works lickety-split to shut down the inflammitory process. Other ways you can limit inflammation include supplementing omega 3s and, for bladder stuff, using cosequin. It might not be a bad idea to start using something like this and then also adding cosequin. By starting these things now, while everything is under control, you really lessen the chance that the inflammation will get totally out of hand in the future--and cosequin and omega 3s don't have any negative side effects

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad the pred works for you.
It makes Coco get bladder problems.
I should not have posted about Midnight saying he is ok.
The problem is back and we are going to the vet at 10:40 with my sister.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Simkie

Excellent news!

Prednisone works lickety-split to shut down the inflammitory process. Other ways you can limit inflammation include supplementing omega 3s and, for bladder stuff, using cosequin. It might not be a bad idea to start using something like this and then also adding cosequin. By starting these things now, while everything is under control, you really lessen the chance that the inflammation will get totally out of hand in the future--and cosequin and omega 3s don't have any negative side effects
Thanks for the advice! Where can I purchase Cosequin and Omega 3s? Are these pills or supplements added to food? I hope the Prednisone has a long-lasting effect. I would hate for it to be a temporary quick-fix.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am glad the pred works for you.
It makes Coco get bladder problems.
I should not have posted about Midnight saying he is ok.
The problem is back and we are going to the vet at 10:40 with my sister.
Sorry to hear about Midnight
How did the vet visit go? I hope he's doing well now!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did a ultrasound and he has crystals in his bladder.
He also got a antibiotic shot and was put on S/D for 2 months.
It was almost 79 for the Ultrasound.
I hope your cat feel better soon.

simkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

Thanks for the advice! Where can I purchase Cosequin and Omega 3s? Are these pills or supplements added to food? I hope the Prednisone has a long-lasting effect. I would hate for it to be a temporary quick-fix.
They're both things you can add to the feed. You can purchase the 3V caps from that link in my earlier post (here) or probably from your vet (although I can't imagine the mark-up your vet would charge!) and use one a day for omega 3s. They're pretty large gel caps--I just poke a hole in the end and squeeze out the oil onto my cat's food. You could also hit the grocery store and purchase fish oil caps and use them the same way. You *don't* want an omega 3/omega 6 blend (sometimes also sold at the grocery store)--omega 6s can contribute to inflammation--so stick to the plain old fish oil caps if you don't buy the stuff that's specifically for kitties.

Cosequin for kitties can be purchased here, or from your vet (markup!) It's a powder that comes packaged in a little capsule and you open the capsule and sprinkle on the food. I think it's one to two a day. I would use two. Once your kitty is stable, you could probably go down to one a day, but I would increase back up to two whenever he's stressed or sick.

I don't think that prednisone is known for it's long-lasting effects. It's great to really knock out inflammation asap, but then you need to go in and make changes to lessen the cause of the inflammation. Using omegas 3s and cosequin will help, as will no more dry food. Hopefully that will be enough to keep your kitty's urinary tract happy.